Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMBZ

Reaction score
Haha, this thread has definitely helped me with my dilemma...or made it even more of a dilemma!
I'm currently debating on a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. Have a 32'(tongue to bumper) travel trailer that is around 7k-7.5k loaded with the weight distro hitch and know I'm pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton's payload, which would be a 2022 Limited 4x4 CC 3.92 if I went that route. Will definitely either upgrade to a larger TT or 5th wheel in the future, probably like 6 years down the road. Do I need the 3/4 ton now? I think it would make more sense to get it now since it'd be a much better ride with what I currently have but it's hard to justify a 3/4 ton for pulling a TT 8-12 times a year.

OP
OP
GoBlueRAM

GoBlueRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Haha, this thread has definitely helped me with my dilemma...or made it even more of a dilemma!
I'm currently debating on a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. Have a 32'(tongue to bumper) travel trailer that is around 7k-7.5k loaded with the weight distro hitch and know I'm pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton's payload, which would be a 2022 Limited 4x4 CC 3.92 if I went that route. Will definitely either upgrade to a larger TT or 5th wheel in the future, probably like 6 years down the road. Do I need the 3/4 ton now? I think it would make more sense to get it now since it'd be a much better ride with what I currently have but it's hard to justify a 3/4 ton for pulling a TT 8-12 times a year.
Do you need it? If you feel it will work for you and your family, I say absolutely. I know for sure my family had outgrown what we had as the payload in my 2500 (PW) was 1,449lbs! With that said, my current 3500 Mega Cab has around 4,100lbs. We won’t go anywhere near that amount with our current TT and fully loaded truck bed, etc. It was a must for us even if we take the TT out mainly during spring and summer months.

I spent a few months thinking on this and researching before I found this forum and made my post. I say so what’s best for you and your family. I myself wouldn’t pull a TT with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. Call me crazy but that’s just me. There were times with the wind in Tennessee or Kentucky that my 3/4ton truck felt a bit off. I can’t imagine that feeling with a much lighter truck.

Lordac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If your just towing a trailer under 10,000 then the 2500 Hemi is a good fit with a much better ride. I currently have a 1500 with a max tow rating of 10,450. (3:92 gears) It's the payload for my current trailer that kills it. My payload is only 1470 (newer trucks are a bit more, mine is a 14) and the tongue weight of my trailer is 1070 leaving me only 400 cargo capacity in the truck. I weigh 250 and the mrs 1??. Plus a couple small dogs.

We have a camping friend that just got a 2500 hemi and it is so much more stable towing his camper than the 1500 he traded in. So good choice for you. Glad you got what you needed.

Lordac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My experience has been that My 1500, which has airlift 5000 bags and much better tires (2998 weight rating as opposed to 2602 stock) is capable of towing my trailer 37' 8100 dry. My concern is the payload of the truck and the heavy tongue weight of the trailer. It puts it but it's at it's limits, maybe not on paper but it's definitely heavy. A 2500 would be much more stable. We opted to order a 3500 because my Mrs loves 5th wheels and the space, plus if we can ever work out a rock solid internet connection so she can work from anywhere she'll be wanting it. She gets what she wants. We'll stick with our current couples trailer for now, (Coachman 321FEDSLE) but she's been looking so who knows???? The 3500 we ordered has sufficient towing capacity to handle most any 5th wheel but the absolute largest.

RAMBZ

Reaction score
Yeah, after reading a bit more and some internal mind debates, I went with the 2500. Made sense in the long run and will tow what I currently have without any issues.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio