Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
It costs roughly $500 to add a set of SuperSprings to the 2500 truck and turn it into a 3500 truck. In 2013 the 3500 had a stronger frame but in 2014 the 2500 frame was upgraded. I have hauled 4,000 lbs with my 2500 truck that came from the factory with a 2800 lb payload rating. It took one hour to install the double leaf set of SuperSprings and the ride was not changed and the truck was still level (with an without the 4,000 lbs in the bed). No need for airbags and a compressor and nothing to maintain or ever need to replace in the future.

Where a 3500 is better is with a greater than 4,000 lb load on the rear wheels as it is easier for the factory to put in a DRW axle and add two more wheels to gain 6,000 lbs in tire load capacity.

eye-roll-robert-downey-jr.gif

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Is the bouncing that bad? Good thing I don’t drink coffee, and cups are covered.

Curious, would the 3500 Hemi tow better than the Hemi 2500 with the same options?
I guess the best way to qualify this is to say that on the highway my 3500 is really quite refined. It has less road noise than my Toyota Corolla and it is smooth, but if there are expansion joints, or going through downtown streets it is just as bad as my old suzuki samurai. I ended up doing a Thuren 1.5 level, fox IFPs at all corners and 325/65r18s which allow me to run lower pressure, but still maintain the same load characteristics at that lower pressure. With all that it is far more enjoyable unloaded. Loaded, not an issue.

Jeff Courtney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Owning a 2018 3500 Big Horn Crew cab SB 4wd, 4:10, 6 4 hemi SRW. The ride is rough/stiff unloaded. I pull something everyday. From a 6x10 box trailer full of materials/tools to a 20ft gooseneck with 10k to 13k. Things I wish I'd got when I ordered it. Air suspension, cab mounted cargo camera, and the Cummins. I've put 70,000 miles on it so far. Just little nervous about Ram's lifter/canshaft issues in the Hemi.
Thats my 2cents. Hope some of it helps

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
You can't turn a 2500 into a 3500. If payload is your concern get a 3500. Towing between the two is about a wash up to about 15K. Do the math on a Cummins and you are probably looking at a 100K plus miles payback. I've had several of both over the years including the V10 when it was offered. I wish I had a 3500 now for the payload as we are empty nesters and have our 3rd truck camper on order. Since I retired, and now the vehicles are on my own dime, I stuck with the 6.4 and have never regretted it towing heavy loads long distances from Michigan to Kentucky and elsewhere. If I towed frequently in the mountains out west it would be the Cummins hands down regardless of payback $$$. That turbo is a game changer at higher elevations.

I do have the 4:10 & rear air suspension FYI.

Last edited:

2018 Hemi

Reaction score
I traded in my 3500 long bed diesel for 2500 long bed 6.4 and it does a good job pulling my 12,000 # Firth wheel but I cry every time wishing I would have kept the old truck if your thinking 5th wheel get a Long bed!

Escondido Steve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Maybe think about adding some air bags to the rear suspension if your comfortable with everything else

OP
OP
GoBlueRAM

GoBlueRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
You can't turn a 2500 into a 3500. If payload is your concern get a 3500. Towing between the two is about a wash up to about 15K. Do the math on a Cummins and you are probably looking at a 100K plus miles payback. I've had several of both over the years including the V10 when it was offered. I wish I had a 3500 now for the payload as we are empty nesters and have our 3rd truck camper on order. Since I retired, and now the vehicles are on my own dime, I stuck with the 6.4 and have never regretted it towing heavy loads long distances from Michigan to Kentucky and elsewhere. If I towed frequently in the mountains out west it would be the Cummins hands down regardless of payback $$$. That turbo is a game changer at higher elevations.

I do have the 4:10 & rear air suspension FYI.
Thanks. I don’t regret towing with my current PW, just hate the mandatory 250 mile stops for gas while hooked up. If I could get at least 400 miles behind the wheel towing between fill ups, that would be awesome.

We are heading west next year with the trailer. I can’t wait, regardless of which truck I end up replacing the beast with. Been leaning towards the Hemi with a nicely specked Mega Cab Big Horn or Laramie. Though a nicely specked Tradesman Cummins is a bit enticing.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks. I don’t regret towing with my current PW, just hate the mandatory 250 mile stops for gas while hooked up. If I could get at least 400 miles behind the wheel towing between fill ups, that would be awesome.

We are heading west next year with the trailer. I can’t wait, regardless of which truck I end up replacing the beast with. Been leaning towards the Hemi with a nicely specked Mega Cab Big Horn or Laramie. Though a nicely specked Tradesman Cummins is a bit enticing.
I should add the newer 6.4 with the 8 speed makes a big difference over the 6 speed on mine. That trans is a good 1. We'll be going out west next year, no hesitation with our 6 speed 6.4 at all.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

A hemi HD truck is not going to be a whole lot better then the power wagon as far as having to stop at every gas station so if that is a concern I would think real hard about that. Getting 400 miles towing is a pipe dream unless you can get a 50 gallon tank.

OP
OP
GoBlueRAM

GoBlueRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
A hemi HD truck is not going to be a whole lot better then the power wagon as far as having to stop at every gas station so if that is a concern I would think real hard about that. Getting 400 miles towing is a pipe dream unless you can get a 50 gallon tank.

Have you read what we’ve been discussing? Doesn’t seem like it based on your comments.

50 gallon tank isn’t available with a shortbed (not interested in an 8ft bed or dually)with a HEMI. It’s available aftermarket for the Cummins.

My PW has a low payload number, that’s what the upgrade is for, not a gas tank.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you read what we’ve been discussing? Doesn’t seem like it based on your comments.

50 gallon tank isn’t available with a shortbed (not interested in an 8ft bed or dually)with a HEMI. It’s available aftermarket for the Cummins.

My PW has a low payload number, that’s what the upgrade is for, not a gas tank.

I've read most of it and I know a 50 gallon tank is not available, it was a reference to that's the Only way you will ever get 400 miles out of a gas truck towing.

And to quote your previous post "just hate the mandatory 250 mile stops for gas while hooked up."
So it's not just payload you are worried about.

OP
OP
GoBlueRAM

GoBlueRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I've read most of it and I know a 50 gallon tank is not available, it was a reference to that's the Only way you will ever get 400 miles out of a gas truck towing.

And to quote your previous post "just hate the mandatory 250 mile stops for gas while hooked up."
So it's not just payload you are worried about.

Payload is the worry. I don’t know too many people who really enjoy stopping every 250 miles. To each his/her own.

All good though. Thanks.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just traded my 2018 PW on a 2021 Tradesman 3500 DRW with the 8 ft bed. The long wheel base makes the truck ride as well as my PW. I was super surprised at how well it drove so may be worth at least considering a dually. My wife will complain quickly on the ride quality of my truck and she has been happy with the new truck. I have 5200 lbs payload and 22,000 tow. With the longer bed I added a huge tool box(generator fits in it) and still have plenty of bed room. You’ll get closer to the 400 mile range on a tank of diesel towing I would think. I get 18 empty and 14 towing around 8,000 lbs. Havent hauled hay(20,000) or my tractor(11,000) yet to know what the mileage will be with them. And, for $2,600 I got the 10 year 150,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty so if any of the diesel voodoo crap breaks then they have to fix it.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I just traded my 2018 PW on a 2021 Tradesman 3500 DRW with the 8 ft bed. The long wheel base makes the truck ride as well as my PW. I was super surprised at how well it drove so may be worth at least considering a dually. My wife will complain quickly on the ride quality of my truck and she has been happy with the new truck. I have 5200 lbs payload and 22,000 tow. With the longer bed I added a huge tool box(generator fits in it) and still have plenty of bed room. You’ll get closer to the 400 mile range on a tank of diesel towing I would think. I get 18 empty and 14 towing around 8,000 lbs. Havent hauled hay(20,000) or my tractor(11,000) yet to know what the mileage will be with them. And, for $2,600 I got the 10 year 150,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty so if any of the diesel voodoo crap breaks then they have to fix it.
Good mileage info. thx. I just got back from 500 mile each way trip to KY with my tractor and more on my 25' gooseneck (about 12K including the trailer). Averaged 10 MPG. Better through Ohio and dipped into the 9's through the hills of KY at 70MPH (the Carlisle Radial Trail HD's load range E are rated for 75 FYI). So.......between your post and mine one can do the math on whether the cost of a Cummins makes sense. The 6.4 does work a bit harder puling up the long hills but never an issue. Trans temps stayed at 172 to 175. Truck all stock except I did add a Hellwig HD rear sway bar for the truck camper we have.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I haven't seen anywhere near 14 mpg towing my trailer (9000 pounds) in my dually. Hopefully, it will improve when it breaks in

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't seen anywhere near 14 mpg towing my trailer (9000 pounds) in my dually. Hopefully, it will improve when it breaks in
I have the standard output with the 68 rfe which does better than the HO with Aisin. It’s just what they had on the lot but probably would have given MPG for the Aisin. Also, I’m pulling on a county road going 45 MPH so your numbers are more real world.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good mileage info. thx. I just got back from 500 mile each way trip to KY with my tractor and more on my 25' gooseneck (about 12K including the trailer). Averaged 10 MPG. Better through Ohio and dipped into the 9's through the hills of KY at 70MPH (the Carlisle Radial Trail HD's load range E are rated for 75 FYI). So.......between your post and mine one can do the math on whether he cost of a Cummins makes sense. The 6.4 does work a bit harder puling up the long hills but never an issue. Trans temps stayed at 172 to 175. Truck all stock except I did add a Hellwig HD rear sway bar for the truck camper we have.
I’m a big fan of gas HD trucks. I would have bought a gas dually most likely if one was available and just lightened my hay trailer load. I think gas trucks work out better mathematically and why many companies around me have moved to gas HD. Diesel just cost more to fix when they break.