Bigger fuel tank options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but you guys left me hanging. I'm still a little ticked that my 2001 half ton has 3 more gallons especially when I'm towing heavy across Kansas getting 7 mpg.

@AFMoulton, did you pull the trigger on a bigger tank?

Nope I went a different route. I bought an 18 Gallon sailboat tank, and a race car 12v pump. With some fuel line and an in-line filter works great. Gives me another 1/2 tank.

5d69452d0af90b3e320b4b998d988cc1.jpg0a27cad5058997eb393fb0429fc155af.jpg99952981e8639e823ade423e49688d48.jpg

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve considered the Transfer Flow in bed refueling tanks. Might get one depending on whether I decide to give up the bed space or not. They also make a combo tool box/ tank.

AFAIK TF and ATI are the only tank builders DOT certified for gasoline.

In previous trucks I’ve carried portable gas cans in cross bed tool boxes. Not something recommended because of the potential for fumes to build up.

Last year I purchased four of the quality built European NATO Jerry cans (not the Chinese crap) and built a rack to carry them in my last truck. Worked OK. Atlantic British is a good place to source those.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’ve looked into this for mine, and I think I’m going to pull the trigger soon.

Check out a titan tanks. They say it’s diesel only, but the factory part numbers for Gas or Diesel are exactly the same, so I’m thinking there is no difference. And 50 gallons is way better than 31.

Might have to call them and see if their mega cab one will fit a crew cab short bed. Hoping it will.

Beware my friend, I've spent two years trying to figure this out in California as I go to baja a lot with mine. you will not pass CA evap emissions with the larger tank. Transferflow is another company in Chico. I've spoken to them and titan and its a no go for now in California. I would look into the spare tire fuel tank that a few companies make.

Scott Colbert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
https://www.titanallterrain.com/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015[/QUOTE]

I've had all the Titan tanks for Rams. The side kick don't mount well for Rams. The bracket provided are universal type and satisfaction in this respect is low. The cap and hole used for grounding are not sufficient for Gas though the material is compatible and the strength of the tank is are more than adequate. They are black, will expand, cap will bleed fumes and liquid (gas) when full. 15 gallons for $500 is not bad for XL tank but these are universal and not far from gas cans. Gas cans have better mounting options and greater options for filling and transporting. American company in my home state Idaho is a plus. Tank construction is very stout. Tank appearance is okay. Appearance is faded with little sun exposure. Bowed sides and, if utilizing self tapping screws and mounting hardware, placement of tank is sub optimal. Again, tank is rugged and is a plus for needed rigging of mounting. There is a through hole for grounding via threaded rod and it appears to handle the pressure fine and would be adequate for gas IMO but easy modification could plug.
The tank would also be good for closing in loop with main tank if your committed. Diesel is not pressurized system for EPA and I believe relieves the manufactures of liability and compliance issues that would follow Gas VOC EPA DOT issues.
I am currently looking for alternative DIY for added 20 gallons and ran across this post and got sucked in. I own two sidekicks and mounted in 3 different trucks. I like the sidekicks but thinking critically of value and function, I think I can do better for $200 total plus my hobby time.
P.S. Sidekick tanks for sale $300 ea. pick up only.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone ever come up with anything. 7mpg towing and 31 gallons is not good.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anyone ever come up with anything. 7mpg towing and 31 gallons is not good.

Only option I can up with is in the pictures above in the thread. Works great and gives me a chance to peel my hands off the wheel.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I don't see why it wouldn't work with gas and is the only option for California emissions. I'm going to get one at year end

Fitzreefer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
I personally don't get it. My last gas truck was a 2002 8.1L Suburban. It came stock with a 47.5 gallon tank. I also grew up driving Econoline Ford Vans and F-150 from the 80s with auxiliary gas tanks. I don't get this **** where they say it can't be done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I can't find anyone to explain it to me either. Aero Tanks makes a 45 gallon for ford econoline sports mobiles. they get so many people asking transfer flow and titan don't really respond to questions. in California they say its the evap for SMOG but no one can explain that either to me.

MegaHeath

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Megacab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yup, i got the same responce from titan and transfer flow. 50 gallon tank would be too much for the stock evap system because of the extra gas vapor. Whatever!

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
its a bit of a hair brained idea but you could try getting smogged very early on a cold day and the evap might not trigger anything with a 50 or 60 gallon tank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel