bigger oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
cant find a thread on it but im sure its been asked before. i know the 5.7 and the 6.4 take the same oil filter. does anyone know of a longer filter to get more capacity/filter media? my ford ranger had a bigger oil filter than this 6.4 hemi. :emotions122:

just curios if anyone has done it, as I heard of it before on the LX forum.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can get a relocate kit, go all the way up ea heavy duty filters. However, it will cost every time you change them.

Last edited:

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the pre 2013 filter is bigger around but not longer, it also has less GPM that the smaller one

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
the pre 2013 filter is bigger around but not longer, it also has less GPM that the smaller one

well thanks for the info.....and....btw

<<< avatar . :naughty:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Keep in mind especially with non-oem filter brands, if you use a non cataloged filter for the application and have a filter failure, it is possible grounds for them to deny warranty.

IMHO, buying a correct for application good quality filter does more for you than playing with oversize filters for very little extra oil capacity.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind especially with non-oem filter brands, if you use a non cataloged filter for the application and have a filter failure, it is possible grounds for them to deny warranty.

IMHO, buying a correct for application good quality filter does more for you than playing with oversize filters for very little extra oil capacity.

Well, that's where it gets tricky (confusing) for some. Depending on the brand, some are big (like the pre2013 ones) and some are small (current ones). The only reason they went smaller was so they could fit the electronic power steering in there....otherwise, they would most likely still be the larger ones.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard many times the filter is smaller now to accommodate the electronic sterring ? ? I've changed my oil & filter several times on my 14 5.7L and in my opinion there's plenty of room for the larger filter , the steering actuator is way way .out of the way , the diameter of the filter would be the #1 issue , and that's not even an issue for fitment .
There's room for a larger diameter filter for sure , but a larger diameter filter would make it a bit more difficult to grip with large hands like mine ...

I agree with RodRam & Hootbro above as we need to keep in mind the gpm flow rate and the design for the application at hand .
Also consider the internal bypass capabilities ( if the filter is equipped ) and a quality ADBV .
I've only used the Mopar , RP 10-48 & Wix Xp on my current truck , they seem small but they are called out for the application and others like them as well .

I considered running the Larger previous to 2013 5.7L filter Untill I found out the flow rate was less ...

If you change your filter and oil at normal intervals I believe the Mopar , RP & Wix and others are more than sufficient.

If your like some that prefers to get maximum use out of a high quality Ester base & high% Moly oil @ 24 month intervals , then maybe a larger capacity filter within spacs on flow , bypass & adbv .
If I was to go 24 mo I'd likely just install a new filter around 12 mo.

Good topic , subscribed for the conversation.

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not the size that counts its how it performs.... :roflsquared:

As mentioned flow rate is important, there are many factors that come into play with a filter, its flow rate, its filtration size and its efficiency rate.

Here is a link full of a lot of info
All About Oil Filters

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its not the size that counts its how it performs.... :roflsquared:

As mentioned flow rate is important, there are many factors that come into play with a filter, its flow rate, its filtration size and its efficiency rate.

Here is a link full of a lot of info
All About Oil Filters
That's what ( HE ) said

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Well, that's where it gets tricky (confusing) for some. Depending on the brand, some are big (like the pre2013 ones) and some are small (current ones). The only reason they went smaller was so they could fit the electronic power steering in there....otherwise, they would most likely still be the larger ones.

I do not disagree from an engineering perspective that larger filters were used in the past as OEM and will probably be fine if used on applications going forward that now call out the smaller filter due to other restrictions.

The big "if" is in the situation were an engine failure (during warranty) has occurred and possibly a suspect bad filter is in play. If using a MOPAR oem oversize filter, the dealership may not even blink an eye. If using an aftermarket filter correctly cataloged sized or not to the application, the dealer is going to push back and the vehicle owner is going to have to process a claim with the aftermarket filter maker to cover the cost of the engine failure for a faulty filter.

Most aftermarket filter makers are only going to warranty their filters and any damages they cause that are correctly cataloged towards the application at hand.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well said Hootbro

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These work fine for me.

13615027_10154397117308552_9154160124990946168_n.jpg

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The big "if" is in the situation were an engine failure (during warranty) has occurred and possibly a suspect bad filter is in play. If using a MOPAR oem oversize filter, the dealership may not even blink an eye. If using an aftermarket filter correctly cataloged sized or not to the application, the dealer is going to push back and the vehicle owner is going to have to process a claim with the aftermarket filter maker to cover the cost of the engine failure for a faulty filter.

Most aftermarket filter makers are only going to warranty their filters and any damages they cause that are correctly cataloged towards the application at hand.

Am I misreading this? Did you just really say that even if I use an oil filter that is the "correct" size (part number for my year) but not oem and I then have an engine failure (during warranty) that I might have problems getting it covered under warranty because it's not a mopar filter???? OMG. I thought we were way beyond that type of thinking on this forum by now. Again, maybe I'm misreading what you wrote.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I do not disagree from an engineering perspective that larger filters were used in the past as OEM and will probably be fine if used on applications going forward that now call out the smaller filter due to other restrictions.

thanks for the post. makes scene, as I'v seen stranger things happen.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Am I misreading this? Did you just really say that even if I use an oil filter that is the "correct" size (part number for my year) but not oem and I then have an engine failure (during warranty) that I might have problems getting it covered under warranty because it's not a mopar filter???? OMG. I thought we were way beyond that type of thinking on this forum by now. Again, maybe I'm misreading what you wrote.

I think he is just pointing out that it is possible.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
These work fine for me.

13615027_10154397117308552_9154160124990946168_n.jpg

didnt know you could do this on WXI's website. it sheds some light on a few things. just for info it looks like the flow rate is slightly less (even though its bigger) on the "57899" as well as the by-pass valve setting is significantly higher compared to the stock "57060". also for some reason the 57060xp does not list the burst pressure and the 57899 does not list the Beta-ratio.

You would really have to do some research before changing form the OEM or OEM equivalent filter.

also the 57060xp is actually used on a lot of american v8's.

the chevy
5.3L
6.0L
6.2L
7.0L
as well as the little 1.4L
Part Applications List

57060xp
Part Number: 57060XP
UPC Number: 765809216976
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Synthetic
Height: 3.45 (88)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 (74)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 12
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: B2=20
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM

57899xp
Part Number: 57899XP
UPC Number: 765809222076
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Synthetic
Height: 3.74 (95)*
Outer Diameter Top: 3.675 (93)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM

Catalogs

My lesson has been learned.thank you guys for the help. im sticking to OEM/equivalent oil filters.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Yeah, you are misreading what I wrote. FCA should not deny a warranty claim just for solely having a aftermarket filter if no suspect of cause is related to it. The caveat is if that said aftermarket filter is the suspected cause of engine problem or failure, they can then deny to do warranty repair and then you are having to file a claim with the filter maker for a defect filter and associated problems related to that.

Many people do not realize that aftermarket filters throw a curve sometimes when it comes to warranty repairs. In the case of a suspect bad aftermarket filter, all reputable aftermarket big name brand oil filter manufacturers have a claim process that usually involves them sending out a "recovery kit" to get the suspect bad filter back for analysis and process of warranty claim. That is why the nanosecond a dealer claims your aftermarket filter is the causes of a engine lubrications problem, you have to ask for the filter unmolested to send in to the aftermarket filter maker. If they or you cut into it in anyway shape or form, you lost any chance with the filter maker to make a claim.

That is why the path of least resistance is to use a MOPAR branded filter bought either from the dealership or reputable source. If deciding on aftermarket, always use correctly cataloged one from a know good filter brand company. Buying some house brands or obscure imported brand filters off the internet is even riskier if in the very rare event you have to file a claim.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, you are misreading what I wrote. FCA should not deny a warranty claim just for solely having a aftermarket filter if no suspect of cause is related to it. The caveat is if that said aftermarket filter is the suspected cause of engine problem or failure, they can then deny to do warranty repair and then you are having to file a claim with the filter maker for a defect filter and associated problems related to that.

Many people do not realize that aftermarket filters throw a curve sometimes when it comes to warranty repairs. In the case of a suspect bad aftermarket filter, all reputable aftermarket big name brand oil filter manufacturers have a claim process that usually involves them sending out a "recovery kit" to get the suspect bad filter back for analysis and process of warranty claim. That is why the nanosecond a dealer claims your aftermarket filter is the causes of a engine lubrications problem, you have to ask for the filter unmolested to send in to the aftermarket filter maker. If they or you cut into it in anyway shape or form, you lost any chance with the filter maker to make a claim.

That is why the path of least resistance is to use a MOPAR branded filter bought either from the dealership or reputable source. If deciding on aftermarket, always use correctly cataloged one from a know good filter brand company. Buying some house brands or obscure imported brand filters off the internet is even riskier if in the very rare event you have to file a claim.

Ok....got it. Makes sense.