Biggest Inverter my Alternator Can Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Niederlander

Niederlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Man...

The entire root of this thread evades me. Using an idling V-8 to directly power 120V electric tools? Seems like a lot of layers of risk, especially to the vehicle electrical system that would need to be unpacked here. What do the control modules on the truck do when it senses that many amps going "somewhere"?

Just thinking out loud here.

Thank you for being the one to get this thread back to the root of what I was asking.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your 180A alternator isn't going to put out 180 Amps at idle - it will be significantly less - probably closer to 90 amps or so. There may be a spec on a tag or stamped on the alternator that will give the idle output and max output @ volts.
The 180 Amp output is achieved at about 6000 alternator shaft rpms - if the pulley is the standard auto 3:1 pulley that should be around 2000 engine rpms.

Even then, max output will be about 2400 watts @ 6000 alt. rpm with the alt. running full field.

IMO, a big deep cycle battery and the truck engine and key/electronics off would be a better combo vs. a normal battery and running the engine.

I am not sure how much the PCM and other electronics would like going from heavy current draw to no draw every time you let off of the saw/device trigger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Niederlander

Niederlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Man...

The entire root of this thread evades me. Using an idling V-8 to directly power 120V electric tools? Seems like a lot of layers of risk, especially to the vehicle electrical system that would need to be unpacked here. What do the control modules on the truck do when it senses that many amps going "somewhere"?

Just thinking out loud here.

Actually it’s a V-6. And I’d use it probably about 30-60 minutes a year. And as I said I HATE having another ICE to maintain.

Yes thats exactly what info I was looking for - idle output of the alternator, how the system views an external draw, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Niederlander

Niederlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Just thought I’d fill yall in with a follow up to the original post.

After looking at the expense of a quiet, 4 stroke OHV, 3.5 kW peak/ 2.8kW steady, 12 volt inverter/generator versus a installing a big inverter on my Ram with questionable results and risks, I decided to go with the former. Glad I did. Thanks everyone for their input.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
how much was a the inverter generator? i seen someone locally selling a 3kw ohv generator for $150 but i am pretty sure he don't know it is a 3kw generator. i have also been thinking about re-visiting building my alternator generator/welder again. parts are starting to pile up quicker than i can use them. got a honda gcv160 i was thinking about using to power it.

OP
OP
Niederlander

Niederlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
how much was a the inverter generator? i seen someone locally selling a 3kw ohv generator for $150 but i am pretty sure he don't know it is a 3kw generator. i have also been thinking about re-visiting building my alternator generator/welder again. parts are starting to pile up quicker than i can use them. got a honda gcv160 i was thinking about using to power it.

I bought this Honda Quiet knockoff for $625 on sale at Amazon. Been very pleased so far.
b0d28a6fff4e2435db75b18b8fb2242d.jpg9cd7a3090c2da9b6f5db4ff18b8dc494.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio