Biggest Inverter my Alternator Can Power

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Niederlander, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Niederlander

Niederlander Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 V6
    Thank you for being the one to get this thread back to the root of what I was asking.

2. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Your 180A alternator isn't going to put out 180 Amps at idle - it will be significantly less - probably closer to 90 amps or so. There may be a spec on a tag or stamped on the alternator that will give the idle output and max output @ volts.
    The 180 Amp output is achieved at about 6000 alternator shaft rpms - if the pulley is the standard auto 3:1 pulley that should be around 2000 engine rpms.

Even then, max output will be about 2400 watts @ 6000 alt. rpm with the alt. running full field.

IMO, a big deep cycle battery and the truck engine and key/electronics off would be a better combo vs. a normal battery and running the engine.

I am not sure how much the PCM and other electronics would like going from heavy current draw to no draw every time you let off of the saw/device trigger.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 11:59 PM
  3. Niederlander

Niederlander Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 V6
    Actually it’s a V-6. And I’d use it probably about 30-60 minutes a year. And as I said I HATE having another ICE to maintain.

Yes thats exactly what info I was looking for - idle output of the alternator, how the system views an external draw, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk