bilstein 5100 and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ggale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am considering replacing original shocks with bilstein 5100 on my 2014 1500 crew. I tow a 7000 lb (loaded) Jay flight camper with a blue ox hitch. Right now it sets level with the camper. How will these affect it? Would I have to change the hitch setting? Which setting would work best for the fronts? Got a 500 mile trip planned and want it to be right. Thank you.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am considering replacing original shocks with bilstein 5100 on my 2014 1500 crew. I tow a 7000 lb (loaded) Jay flight camper with a blue ox hitch. Right now it sets level with the camper. How will these affect it? Would I have to change the hitch setting? Which setting would work best for the fronts? Got a 500 mile trip planned and want it to be right. Thank you.

Why are you considering 5100s? Do you want to level the truck? If so, do you want it level with the trailer attached or level when driving the truck unloaded?

If you want it leveled while towing the trailer you aren't going to have to set them very high. If you want it level while daily driving you will need to set them higher.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^ what he said^^ if your looking to have your truck level when unloaded or loaded. the only way to have both is air bags or really stiff springs. the shock wont add that much unless they have adjustable ends like the 5100s. if your lookig to keep the truck looking the same just adjust the 5100s to get the same look. as long as you dont have saggy ass when towing all is good.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for the rear, the shocks will not raise your lift height what so ever.

for the front, decide if you are replacing rear springs or airbags and somebody can recommend a setting for level.

You can replace the rear shocks and change nothing and it will just dampen a little firmer, no setting changes on hitch required.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
^^ what he said^^ if your looking to have your truck level when unloaded or loaded. the only way to have both is air bags or really stiff springs. the shock wont add that much unless they have adjustable ends like the 5100s. if your lookig to keep the truck looking the same just adjust the 5100s to get the same look. as long as you dont have saggy ass when towing all is good.

Any recommendations on airbags for the 1500?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home

About $350 but quality materials no cheap plastic lines & brass fittings instead of plastic and heavy rubber bags that as seen in picture is between axle & frame not inside the spring. Leaks are much less likely. Also requires less psi to carry the same load when compared to in coil bags. So it dampens and controls the rear suspension under heavy load and rough pot holes etc much better.

But I get it the cheap $100 in coils bags sufficed in previous vehicles. But now 590,000 miles towing TT/THs & boats commercially sometimes with a Harley etc in the bed has me spoiled to axle to frame set ups.

BTW this is a no cut no drill do it yourself install see installation video. Also you don’t need an expensive on board compressor set up. Any cheap portable cigarette lighter or dash plug in as the 4th gens have Harbor Freight, Walmart etc unit that stores under your seat quickly inflates them as you only ever need like 20 psi.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

About $350 but quality materials no cheap plastic lines & brass fittings instead of plastic and heavy rubber bags that as seen in picture is between axle & frame not inside the spring. Leaks are much less likely. Also requires less psi to carry the same load when compared to in coil bags. So it dampens and controls the rear suspension under heavy load and rough pot holes etc much better.

But I get it the cheap $100 in coils bags sufficed in previous vehicles. But now 590,000 miles towing TT/THs & boats commercially sometimes with a Harley etc in the bed has me spoiled to axle to frame set ups.
This^

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine

crzyamerican

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel

BTW this is a no cut no drill do it yourself install see installation video. Also you don’t need an expensive on board compressor set up. Any cheap portable cigarette lighter or dash plug in as the 4th gens have Harbor Freight, Walmart etc unit that stores under your seat quickly inflates them as you only ever need like 20 psi.

^ I agree! Loving my Timber groves so far!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01