Bilstein 5100 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aj Madonna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hey everyone, I am new on here and this is my first post. I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic and I am on the verge of purchasing the bilstein 5100’s. I haven’t found any threads on here saying wether or not your truck will dog walk or not when your set at 2.8. Any advice would help! Post pictures of your truck with its leveling kit and stock rims! Thank you !

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2.1” on 285/60R20’s2ba6b47aab51b219e36f88cdb14f613e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC323i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey everyone, I am new on here and this is my first post. I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic and I am on the verge of purchasing the bilstein 5100’s. I haven’t found any threads on here saying wether or not your truck will dog walk or not when your set at 2.8. Any advice would help! Post pictures of your truck with its leveling kit and stock rims! Thank you !

I had mine set at 2.8 for 10k miles and had no issues with dog walking before switching coil overs.

OP
OP
Aj Madonna

Aj Madonna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you have any pictures of your truck? And did it dog walk she. You put coil overs on it ?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It shouldnt dog walk. Let us know if we can help with your purchase. We offer Bilstein as well as many other options.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bilsteins use the same geometry as stock struts, just the coil spring is preloaded to raise the ride height. They cannot cause the truck to dogwalk or crab. It can highlight or draw more attention to it afterward, but that would be a problem with your original alignment, bent parts/frame.

TC323i

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have any pictures of your truck? And did it dog walk she. You put coil overs on it ?

No it didn’t dog walk with coil overs either. This pic is with bilstein set a 2.8 which gave me a perfect level.

C6A5AAD0-BDE7-432A-BB35-E2A7B0004B85.jpeg

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dogwalking or crabbing is USUALLY a sign of a bad geometry lift on a solid axle front end. Where the axle is pushed away from the frame and the track bar is not extended in some manner whether from a relo bracket or adj track bar. It will pull it to the side.
Our trucks, 1500’s, have independent front suspension. Each side does their own thing, up down doesnt matter. The only common link is a sway bar.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Silly question... what's a dog walk? Are we talking like the old Chevy Novas?

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e torque.
Bilstein question. I just installed front 5100 set to 2.1 inches for just a front level, nothing done to rear. Front now measure 1/4” less than rear for near perfect level. Do I have to take truck in for alignment? Also anyone know if headlights will need to be adjusted? Thanks for the help.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilstein question. I just installed front 5100 set to 2.1 inches for just a front level, nothing done to rear. Front now measure 1/4” less than rear for near perfect level. Do I have to take truck in for alignment? Also anyone know if headlights will need to be adjusted? Thanks for the help.

I would recommend an alignment. Some places will do an "alignment check" for free (Belle Tire here in Michigan). If they don't have to touch anything, there is no charge. And yes, the headlights will need to be aimed down a little bit.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just to follow up on this..... I just got back from my alignment. It was still in the "acceptable" range, before they even touched it. All they really had to do was adjust the toe just a smidge. Therefore, if you have to wait a week or 2 before you get yours checked, you'll probably be fine. I let my truck sit all weekend, thinking is was going to be way out of whack. LOL

I still recommend getting it looked at within a reasonable amount of time though.

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e torque.
Just to follow up on this..... I just got back from my alignment. It was still in the "acceptable" range, before they even touched it. All they really had to do was adjust the toe just a smidge. Therefore, if you have to wait a week or 2 before you get yours checked, you'll probably be fine. I let my truck sit all weekend, thinking is was going to be way out of whack. LOL

I still recommend getting it looked at within a reasonable amount of time though.
Thanks, drove it 30 miles to work today. Steering feels better than stock, my Bils are set at 2.1! Truck tracks perfectly strait and the wheel is centered more now than it was before the Bils. Ride so much better firm but not harsh at all and my stock struts had only 30,000 on them. Maybe I should replace rear shocks with Bils also? Im gonna get alignment checked tomorrow just to be safe.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, drove it 30 miles to work today. Steering feels better than stock, my Bils are set at 2.1! Truck tracks perfectly strait and the wheel is centered more now than it was before the Bils. Ride so much better firm but not harsh at all and my stock struts had only 30,000 on them. Maybe I should replace rear shocks with Bils also? Im gonna get alignment checked tomorrow just to be safe.

I put Bils on the rear too. You might as well, the ride can only get even better. Even at 2.8, mine rides like my Wife's old Lincoln Town Car. LOL

TIP: When doing the rear, your are going to need VERY short 21mm wrench. I bought a stubby Craftsman and it still wasn't stubby enough, so I had to chop it. Took me over an hour to do the driver's side (gas tank all in the way) and 5 minutes to do the passenger's side.

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e torque.
I put Bils on the rear too. You might as well, the ride can only get even better. Even at 2.8, mine rides like my Wife's old Lincoln Town Car. LOL

TIP: When doing the rear, your are going to need VERY short 21mm wrench. I bought a stubby Craftsman and it still wasn't stubby enough, so I had to chop it. Took me over an hour to do the driver's side (gas tank all in the way) and 5 minutes to do the passenger's side.
Do I need to pull fender liners to change rear shocks?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do I need to pull fender liners to change rear shocks?
No need to pull the fender liners. it would probably make it easier though.
I had a hell of a time doing the rear though. Should have cut a wrench down and saved a lot of headache and swearing.

Buffchief52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e torque.
No need to pull the fender liners. it would probably make it easier though.
I had a hell of a time doing the rear though. Should have cut a wrench down and saved a lot of headache and swearing.
Thanks, I have no problem with cutting up a Harbor freight wrench.[emoji23]