Bilstein 5100 settings..what would you do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks for the info, G...but you MUST be lying about this! lol

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Correct, 5100s do not allow over-travel on the control arms so you lose that articulation on full extension where the shock piston bottoms out.

If you aren’t off-roading a lot, the control arms/sway/stabilizer/CV should last a long time at 2.1.

i offroad...never. lol. offroading for me will be hitting a puddle depression on the dirt road to the lake once per year. speaking of warranty by the way...have you ever heard Wild man's warranty stories about his transmission? i believe he torpedo'd it twice, racing and warrantied both times. the 3rd time, he didn't get a warranty replacement (maybe had run out) but even then a "great" dealer rep got him a helluva deal on that one. lol.

if i really wanted a "lift" and was offroading, i'd be going through the dealer all the way for any warranty protection i could get. i feel the risk i'm taking is small in this case.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
About my axles being pretty flat?

haha. just kidding around. going back to my comment earlier about how maybe there's a bunch of liars on this forum saying no problem with billsteins and their suspensions. lol. i believe you!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha. just kidding around. going back to my comment earlier about how maybe there's a bunch of liars on this forum saying no problem with billsteins and their suspensions. lol. i believe you!

I have yet to see anyone have a catastrophic failure running bils at any setting on this forum. As we both know, there are a lot of us running them. I am not aware of anyone lying about anything with the 5100s or 6112s or any other series of bils. If you are, please share.

I lifted my truck up to 2.8 for the sole purpose of fitting a big tire in the fenders so I can do some offroading. That is also why I added the Zone upper control arms and this weekend I will be swapping the first pieces of my rear suspension over to the Core 4x4 stuff I ordered from Nick. Soon to be ordering the rest of the 4 link pieces too.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
no no. i'm not sure you saw my post where i made the comment. i was trying to say either the billys are not an issue..or a bunch of people here are lying about their success with them (which is ludicrous). i have no reason to believe anyone is lying btw. lol.

i would definitely change the UCAs if i was going 2.8. hell, i did seriously consider changing them out at 2.1 but it just seems unnecessary. if i end up with a suspension issue, i don't think its going to be because of the Billys and i'll go to a mod friendly dealer who hopefully wouldn't try to blame it on the Billys.

Churchville Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
2016 Big Horn
Rear 39 3/8
Front 36 5/8
That’s 2.75 diff
Should I do 2.1 or 2.8?
My buddy is telling me to go 2.8 and it should settle some?
Hate the thought of nose up after I spend all this money. Thanks.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
it appears they will settle a bit so go 2.8...IF you are prepared to replace your upper control arms as well, otherwise you are going to possibly prematurely wear out some components. some guys haven't had any issues with running 2.8 and no other changes. i didn't want to take the chance.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I lift for the simple fact I want a 4x4 to look like one not 4x2. If someone has to ask if its 4wd its not tall enough plain and simple in my eyes. With the coil over Rams I have yet to lift one with Bilsteins above 1.4" that I could stand how it rode on the road. It seems like the shocks don't absorb they just transfer the bumps to the truck at 2.1 or .8 . If I used the truck for running Baja I would say I do need something a little stiffer but more travel more importantly . Honestly most of us use our 1500's to drive down the road to go to work and want it to look good for the most part. I just raise the front slightly then throw on a 3" body lift to achieve the 4x4 look I prefer . When I want to go wheeling I use a straight axle vehicle like my Wrangler . Aerodynamics and a 4x4 has never entered my mind as with fuel mileage when I think 400hp Hemi 4x4

Last edited:

FlaSeadude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed the 5100s at the 2.8" setting to level out the look of my truck and provide some additional clearance for bigger wheels and tires. I went with 20 X 10 wheels with 295/60-20 tires and am very happy with the result.

IMG_3959.jpg