Bilstein 5100s and tire cupping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19warlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I purchased bilstein 5100s and new retreads about 11k miles ago right after buying my Warlock. The retreads are from Treadwright (and are the M/T Claw IIs) and I have run them before on a previous truck with no issues. But my passenger side front tire has started to cup now and was wondering if anyone else was having this issue with the bilsteins? And disclaimer, I have not rotated the tires since they were mounted, but this seems pretty severe for only 11k miles.

Edited to add that Bilsteins are set at 2.8 all around

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had mine on 6 years and 2 sets of tires. No wear irregularities.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cupping is usually a result of a damaged wheel or imbalanced tire. Not enough rebound damping can cause cupping as well. I'd get the tire and wheel re-balanced first since that's a cheaper solution. :)

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
0 issues. 30,000 miles on bilsteins. Either bad tire or bad alignment. Even if it balanced if it’s out of round or has to much runoff it could cause uneven tire wear.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on the truck ? it could be an issue with wheel balance, or alignment, could be a bad shock, could be worned out bushings in your steering/suspension components, could be a bad tire, could be a bent wheel. So many things to look at..

OP
OP

19warlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cupping is usually a result of a damaged wheel or imbalanced tire. Not enough rebound damping can cause cupping as well. I'd get the tire and wheel re-balanced first since that's a cheaper solution. :)
Yeah i was pretty disgusted with how much weight was on the wheels in general for them to balance, so thats a likely issue that may contribute to it

OP
OP

19warlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on the truck ? it could be an issue with wheel balance, or alignment, could be a bad shock, could be worned out bushings in your steering/suspension components, could be a bad tire, could be a bent wheel. So many things to look at..
27k at the moment; I bought the truck with 9k on it and immediately ordered the parts and had all installed shortly after arriving. I was leaning towards it being a bad tire/imbalanced tire but wanted to see if anyone had any input on anything else that could be a possibility. Especially since I had the bilsteins and tires installed at the same time.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5k miles on my Bils at 2.8. No issues with tire wear. Sounds like alignment or tire balance issue. Most franchise tire places will do an alignment check for free.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have 140,000 Klms on my Bilsteins, no issues. The cupping is not the shock or you would have it on both fronts. If you have excessive weight to balance it is likely the retreads. It is pretty easy for those to be done wrong. Back in the day we ran them on semis for the drivers, and the trailers but sure not something I would be running on the steering axle.

OP
OP

19warlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 140,000 Klms on my Bilsteins, no issues. The cupping is not the shock or you would have it on both fronts. If you have excessive weight to balance it is likely the retreads. It is pretty easy for those to be done wrong. Back in the day we ran them on semis for the drivers, and the trailers but sure not something I would be running on the steering axle.
These are different than semi "re-treads" but I understand where you are coming from. Luckily I was able to grab some Falken Rubitreks for the ride and they are doing good at the moment, so hopefully the issue is solved.