Bilstein 6112 clunk/ramble *solved*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElementHVAC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi everyone, I wanted to post about my experience with my suspension to see if anyone has any input that can help diagnose what is going on (if concerning at all?).

My truck hasn't been modified for long and I have been hearing an occasional pop or clunk when I cycle the steering from lock to lock.

It's a 2017 1500 QC w/ 5.7, 4x4. I purchased it new and left it stock until a few months ago with 40,000 miles on it. It has lived an easy life until this spring when I put it to work full time. I began using it to haul material and a trailer which quickly exposed the soft, smooth rear suspension for what it really is. I needed to stiffen it up and that opened the door to where we are now.

I have the 6112 kit up front set at 2.1, with Zone UCA's, the kit was built with new Mopar parts (new mount and isolator) instead of disassembling my factory struts. Not that it matters but in the rear I have 5100's with TufTruck 1211 springs, 1" blocks, Hellwig sway bar, Carli sway bar end links and track bar drop bracket. The rear was done first (sans new sway bar and 1" blocks) as I was waiting on the struts and the improvement was drastic. Loaded and towing this thing felt like a completely different truck.

I had that same feeling when the 6112's went in, the change was so drastic! Speed bumps and bad pavement don't seem to matter anymore! And yet again when I put in the sway bar, it was cool to do them all individually.

I've since put on roughly 3000 miles and I have noticed that every now and then I get this clunk in the front. It sounds like a spring popping or something bound becoming unbound.

That's the only time I hear something strange. The rest of the time the truck is whisper quiet, including taking an impact on the suspension.

Anyone ever hear anything like that?

My dad is a journeyman mechanic who performed all the work, I don't want to say he did something wrong because he would take that super personal lol. He's a perfectionist like myself and I don't want to complain unless I have some sort of evidence. I don't see anything wrong, and it looks like everything is tight.

I'll post up a few pics, I'm really looking forward to hearing some opinions. Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210827_184934559.jpg
    PXL_20210827_184934559.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20210829_193556830.jpg
    PXL_20210829_193556830.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

RAZ175

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
If you haven't already done so, go back and recheck the torque on every bolt and nut that was touched during the installation of the new parts. This should have been done after ~500 miles to see if anything has loosened. Also look to see if anything has rub marks where two parts are contacting each other.
The sound that you describe sounds like a loose sway bar/end link. I've had that issue in the past, but could be any of the suspension parts.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it’s not a loose bolt it could be the steering hitting the stops. Mine makes a clank or pop when the steering is locked and the vehicle shifts weight. If I go just before lock it doesn’t do it. Double check everything.

OP
OP
E

ElementHVAC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for chiming in fellas!

If you haven't already done so, go back and recheck the torque on every bolt and nut that was touched during the installation of the new parts. This should have been done after ~500 miles to see if anything has loosened...*(cut)* could be any of the suspension parts.

I took your advise. Brought it down to my Dad's work this afternoon to have him check it out.

If it’s not a loose bolt it could be the steering hitting the stops.... Double check everything.

I didn't see any rubbing or spots where contact was being made.

He road tested it and said he was able to reproduce it.

Loose bolt(s) was correct.
Drivers side rear bolt on the UCA needed half a turn, same with the passenger side front UCA bolt. Everything else in the suspension was tight.

It's due for an oil change in roughly 500 miles, he's going to go over it again at that point. He mentioned that due to the type of hardware it's possible for it to work itself loose, at least if I start to hear that sound again I can be pretty sure of what it is.

And now I can get back to enjoying it rather than question if I had made the right decision! Lol :)

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thanks for chiming in fellas!

I took your advise. Brought it down to my Dad's work this afternoon to have him check it out.

I didn't see any rubbing or spots where contact was being made.

He road tested it and said he was able to reproduce it.

Loose bolt(s) was correct.
Drivers side rear bolt on the UCA needed half a turn, same with the passenger side front UCA bolt. Everything else in the suspension was tight.

It's due for an oil change in roughly 500 miles, he's going to go over it again at that point. He mentioned that due to the type of hardware it's possible for it to work itself loose, at least if I start to hear that sound again I can be pretty sure of what it is.

And now I can get back to enjoying it rather than question if I had made the right decision! Lol :)
Those bolts are to be torqued to 120 ft lbs while all 4 wheels are on the ground and truck is under its own weight.

OP
OP
E

ElementHVAC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those bolts are to be torqued to 120 ft lbs while all 4 wheels are on the ground and truck is under its own weight.

Thank you so much, that explains why they came loose. We didn't torque them today, so I have to assume he didn't do that last time.
He did explain that we had to do it on the ground with weight on the suspension because of the bushing. I have my own 1/2" TW, maybe I'll look at trying it myself this weekend.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Thank you so much, that explains why they came loose. We didn't torque them today, so I have to assume he didn't do that last time.
He did explain that we had to do it on the ground with weight on the suspension because of the bushing. I have my own 1/2" TW, maybe I'll look at trying it myself this weekend.
To ensure they are seated and not over torqued Loosen them about one full turn. Then drive the truck back and forth 10-15 feet then torque to 120 ft pounds.