Bilstein Questions-Heard and Read Too Much!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
I wanted to ask a (hopefully) simple question. I know there is a huge Bilstein thread and I have read through it, but I ran into a small snag in my research. I have also watched numerous videos and visited other sites regarding this. There is too much information spread out and I would like to contain it to a consensus if possible.

As some of you know, this is my first truck, so by nature I am not a 'truck guy', but a muscle car guy. I have tried to learn as much as absolutely possible in the last few months of owning a truck.

Recently I started reading into level kits for my '17 Ram 1500 Laramie. By my research I learned a spacer is the worst way to go when leveling because anything over 2" puts too much stress on the ball joints.
Okay, so Bilstein seems to be the way to go.

I have seen tons of people put the Bilstein 5100 on and that's all. No new coils, control arms, etc. I wanted to go this route because I did not want to spend a ton of money.
I recently went to 4 Wheel Parts, and went in with the intent of looking at the Billsteins in person. I know it'd cost to have them installed and then have an alignment but I figured a couple hundred dollars for the units is not bad compared to level kit costs I have seen.

The salesman there said that it is a bad idea to just add the 5100's, as he put it "That's why Rams suck, you can't just swap the strut". I quickly interjected as a Mopar head, I wouldn't want a GMC or Ford, but I digress.
He said it still puts too much stress on the ball joint and the strut will not align straight with the control arm, saying that it will all need to be replaced, at north of the $2000 price point. He said if it was him for the price he would put a 6" lift. I told him I appreciated his help and left.

Now I have been in only sales since I started working, but because I do not know and cannot be confident in trucks, I was not sure if he was trying to upsale, or just offer some good advice.

This is where I come to you guys, who live and breathe Ram.
-Is it safe to put only the 5100 on, and will I run into any long term issues by doing it this way?
-Why do you think he recommended a full replacement for everything?
-Is putting only 5100's and leaving the rest stock, a "you get what you pay for" type of solution?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys trying to sell you some ****.

Billsteins set @ 2.1 won’t put any more stress on your ballpoints or cv axles, now you set them at 2.8” those guys tend to go ahead and replace the upper control w/ Mevotechs. Some do just for the piece of mind but if your only looking to level the front 2.1” should do it but obviously you want to measure first since every car is different. In stallion is simple should take maybe a few hours tops check YouTube there’s a great video on there. Personally I would do the install myself (well I have) and just pay for an alignment. Rides virtually the same the Billsteins fronts firm up the ride just a tad bit and makes it feel more like a truck but it’s still damn comfortable and one of the better riding trucks I’ve driven/rode in.

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys trying to sell you some ****.

Billsteins set @ 2.1 won’t put any more stress on your ballpoints or cv axles, now you set them at 2.8” those guys tend to go ahead and replace the upper control w/ Mevotechs. Some do just for the piece of mind but if your only looking to level the front 2.1” should do it but obviously you want to measure first since every car is different. In stallion is simple should take maybe a few hours tops check YouTube there’s a great video on there. Personally I would do the install myself (well I have) and just pay for an alignment. Rides virtually the same the Billsteins fronts firm up the ride just a tad bit and makes it feel more like a truck but it’s still damn comfortable and one of the better riding trucks I’ve driven/rode in.

I am just not confident in my ability to install. I am not sure I have the right tools, and am not sure how much I would spend on tools vs how much install would cost. this was all obviously dependent on whether it was possible.

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have updated the vendor name, as I realized it is a site sponsor, 4 Wheel Parts.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tools required are actually pretty basic. Metric socket set, impact wrench (helps greatly but not 100% needed), strut spring compressor (loan a tool from either autozone or advance ), offset box wrench’s, hex key set , c clamp, if your handy and have the tools it’s easy now if you have to go out and buy this stuff and you don’t do much wrenching on stuff then you may be better off having a shop install them for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just finished my Bilstein install. More info in the Bilstein mega thread in the lifted forum.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted mine at 2.8” so I upgraded the control arms and rear springs. The control arms with these trucks suck and I’ve seen issues of the cv joints binding, alignment, and 4x4 issues because of them. It probably is ok to not do the control arms, but why not just do it for peace of mind? I put control arms on and have no issues.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Some people are uninformed even if it is their so called profession. You will be fine with just Bilsteins. You could walk into a Chrysler dealership right now and ask them to install a 2” “Mopar” lift on the truck which uses the same exact front Bilstein shocks as you would be buying yourself to achieve lift and nothing more. I once talked to a guy who worked at a shop around here and he could not comprehend how just a shock could add lift to the truck or how it had “levels” of lift LOL. It’s not that difficult to understand but people don’t do research and are set in their ways. Also, they want to sell you a $2000+ 6 inch lift.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
where are you located in Texas?

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bilsteins at 2.1 setting will be near perfect level and do no harm to your truck. They’ll ride great and you’ll be happy with the choice. I had them on my old truck and I have several buddies with Rams that have the bilsteins with no complaints. I plan on putting them on this truck as well. There’s a good install video on YouTube that you could check out and see if you think you’ll be able to do yourself. It’s not as bad as ya think if you follow the steps.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran into the same issue with 4 wheel parts when I looked into having mine installed. They told me the same thing, and when I explained how it worked, the guy was dumbfounded and couldn't comprehend it. Basically, their computer system throws up an error, so they won't do it because of "liability" reasons. That was over 2 years ago.

If you know someone that is pretty handy with tools, it isn't that hard of a job to do. It took me and a buddy about 2 hours to do it. I set mine at 2.1 and haven't had any issues for 2 years.

You could probably find an independent shop that might do it for you if you look around and just ask. Or, if you're a muscle car guy, look up some of the groups or shops that do that. They could do it too, just make sure to be aware of the few pointers, or tips, about the Bilstein's.... for example, where the washer goes on the mount is opposite of what you'd think.

To answer your questions...
-Is it safe to put only the 5100 on, and will I run into any long term issues by doing it this way? No - set them at 2.1 and be done with it... 2.8 and I'd change out the upper control arms too for inexpensive assurance.
-Why do you think he recommended a full replacement for everything? Because he gets a commission off of selling you a $2000 lift (I'm sure).
-Is putting only 5100's and leaving the rest stock, a "you get what you pay for" type of solution? No - It's a great way, and a safe way, to add some height to the front of your truck to level it out. Spacers are cheap and will cause issues. You can swap out the rear stuff if you want to, but it is not needed. My rear springs/struts are still the stock parts.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
There wouldn't be SO many posts of people doing the Bil5100 upgrade if it didn't work :)

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
+1 to everything above. I did my Bils set @ 2.8" and I did add mevotech upper control arms for piece of mind all for less than $300 in parts plus $100 for an alignment keep in mind I did the work myself. 10k miles on mine so far

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tools required are actually pretty basic. Metric socket set, impact wrench (helps greatly but not 100% needed), strut spring compressor (loan a tool from either autozone or advance ), offset box wrench’s, hex key set , c clamp, if your handy and have the tools it’s easy now if you have to go out and buy this stuff and you don’t do much wrenching on stuff then you may be better off having a shop install them for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Haha yeah. That's sounding like I could use the help! but thanks for the specific names, I could always use more tools if I felt inclined to do it

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people are uninformed even if it is their so called profession. You will be fine with just Bilsteins. You could walk into a Chrysler dealership right now and ask them to install a 2” “Mopar” lift on the truck which uses the same exact front Bilstein shocks as you would be buying yourself to achieve lift and nothing more. I once talked to a guy who worked at a shop around here and he could not comprehend how just a shock could add lift to the truck or how it had “levels” of lift LOL. It’s not that difficult to understand but people don’t do research and are set in their ways. Also, they want to sell you a $2000+ 6 inch lift.
Makes sense. I did not know the dealers also use them. Seems it was either he was ignorant to the facts or wanted to sell more. Who knows.

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilsteins at 2.1 setting will be near perfect level and do no harm to your truck. They’ll ride great and you’ll be happy with the choice. I had them on my old truck and I have several buddies with Rams that have the bilsteins with no complaints. I plan on putting them on this truck as well. There’s a good install video on YouTube that you could check out and see if you think you’ll be able to do yourself. It’s not as bad as ya think if you follow the steps.
I will look into it! Thanks

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There wouldn't be SO many posts of people doing the Bil5100 upgrade if it didn't work :)
trust me I know, that's why I was so perplexed at the advice of the guy who works at a truck store. it really threw a wrench in everything because he said the exact opposite of everyone ive read about and he was the 'professional' you know?

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 to everything above. I did my Bils set @ 2.8" and I did add mevotech upper control arms for piece of mind all for less than $300 in parts plus $100 for an alignment keep in mind I did the work myself. 10k miles on mine so far

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
yeah it seems the install is pricey eventhough its easy.

OP
OP
BTD07

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran into the same issue with 4 wheel parts when I looked into having mine installed. They told me the same thing, and when I explained how it worked, the guy was dumbfounded and couldn't comprehend it. Basically, their computer system throws up an error, so they won't do it because of "liability" reasons. That was over 2 years ago.

If you know someone that is pretty handy with tools, it isn't that hard of a job to do. It took me and a buddy about 2 hours to do it. I set mine at 2.1 and haven't had any issues for 2 years.

You could probably find an independent shop that might do it for you if you look around and just ask. Or, if you're a muscle car guy, look up some of the groups or shops that do that. They could do it too, just make sure to be aware of the few pointers, or tips, about the Bilstein's.... for example, where the washer goes on the mount is opposite of what you'd think.

To answer your questions...
-Is it safe to put only the 5100 on, and will I run into any long term issues by doing it this way? No - set them at 2.1 and be done with it... 2.8 and I'd change out the upper control arms too for inexpensive assurance.
-Why do you think he recommended a full replacement for everything? Because he gets a commission off of selling you a $2000 lift (I'm sure).
-Is putting only 5100's and leaving the rest stock, a "you get what you pay for" type of solution? No - It's a great way, and a safe way, to add some height to the front of your truck to level it out. Spacers are cheap and will cause issues. You can swap out the rear stuff if you want to, but it is not needed. My rear springs/struts are still the stock parts.
Thanks for the advice! and answers. I will look around or look into doing it alone