Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Bird dogs and kennels

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by justintyme01, Dec 30, 2019.

1. justintyme01

justintyme01 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I got my first bird dog this year and we both love hunting and get out as much as possible. We do a lot of upland hunting and are getting into waterfowl.

I have a quad cab with 6.5 foot bed. Right now I have a travel kennel in the back seat of the truck and it fits snug but takes some room away from the passenger seat and the back seat is pretty much useless for passengers now.

How do you guys transport your bird dog in your ram? I would like to get a cap for my truck and I’m thinking about getting the gunner kennel for next season.

OCbuilder likes this.
  2. OCbuilder

OCbuilder Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Back of the open truck bed in a gunner, generally. If it’s gonna be real cold I put the cover on the kennel and his waterfowl vest on him for the ride. I’d like a camper shell for hunting season, but it’s a hefty price to be stored the rest of the year, as I like the versatility of the open bed.

Definitely invest in a gunner. You’ll never have to buy another kennel. I used those crappy $100 kennels for years but the thought of getting in a bad accident always haunted me and the extra $4-500 to keep my best friend as safe as possible was well worth it.

If it’s only me and him or me and one buddy, sometimes I’ll be nice and let him just ride on the back seat with the mud river seat cover on.

Congrats on your first bird dog. I’ve had two now and can’t imagine ever not having at least one the rest of my able bodied life.

3. justintyme01

justintyme01 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Thanks I’m looking into the gunner kennel for next season. I’d like
    To get a cap to. This dog is awesome. We’ve done a lot more pheasant hunting than duck or geese so far. I want to get out more for waterfowl but being in pa it’s hard to find a good spot near me and everywhere I do find is generally packed.

4. S0CAL

S0CAL US Marine Veteran Staff Member Super Moderator Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    I too have my first bird dog. He was in GunDog school for 5 months and what a huge difference in focus, skill, temperament. still working on his steady to shot (he’s a year old).

I looked at Gunner kennels. Awesome. Alternatively, I went with Lucky Duck intermediate. Cheaper, same features (except for fan, etc additions).

I have a Power Wagon and for now, the kennel sits in the back seat with them folded down.

I plan on getting a “decked” system for the bed, as well as an ARE topper, When I do, the kennel will go back there.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk