Black Chrome or "Smoked" Chrome Accessories and Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobSacomano

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
This might seem like an odd question, but has anybody ever seen "black chrome" or "smoked chrome" accessories and parts for RAM trucks? When I was a teenager, I met a guy that had a custom finish on his chopper that he described as "smoked chrome," and that's exactly what it looked like — a dark, smoky finish that was semi-translucent with shiny chrome underneath. It was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen.

Also, I went shopping for a new fridge with my wife recently and they had side-by-sides in "black stainless," a semi-translucent black with a stainless steel finish underneath. It made me think of that motorcycle back in the day...

I know most people don't want any chrome at all these days. My truck is black with chrome accessories, but it would sure be sweet if manufacturers started making "black chrome" running boards, etc... so I could choose something in-between black and chrome.

Anybody ever seen anything?

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
Yes, black chrome is better than regular chrome in my opinion ...if you see the chrome handles on my truck, those are black chrome ...
How did you chrome them? Or did you purchase aftermarket?

I'm trying to eliminate all my chrome 1 piece at a time. I'm to the point where I'm ready to Raptor Liner Spray my bumpers like you did.
You pulled it off really well with the fender flares, valence, and grill in the same finish. Very clean build.
Only thing holding me back is I was hoping to keep the smooth finish if I could.

I saw Rustoleum made a product for changing chrome color but I wasn't sold on its durability based solely on the video I watched.
I also read a post on this site about using VHT Nightshades (the spray tint for tail lights) to mute his chrome emblems.
His pictures looked really good, I'm curious if you could do that to something that receives a lot of wear like door handles.
Or if you could use it on the bumpers (again, pretty sure this would come off after some time)

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
How did you chrome them? Or did you purchase aftermarket?

I'm trying to eliminate all my chrome 1 piece at a time. I'm to the point where I'm ready to Raptor Liner Spray my bumpers like you did.
You pulled it off really well with the fender flares, valence, and grill in the same finish. Very clean build.
Only thing holding me back is I was hoping to keep the smooth finish if I could.

I saw Rustoleum made a product for changing chrome color but I wasn't sold on its durability based solely on the video I watched.
I also read a post on this site about using VHT Nightshades (the spray tint for tail lights) to mute his chrome emblems.
His pictures looked really good, I'm curious if you could do that to something that receives a lot of wear like door handles.
Or if you could use it on the bumpers (again, pretty sure this would come off after some time)
Thanks for the compliment Marty...always appreciate it ..

The handles I used the same smoked vinyl tint I used on my tailights and headlights ... If you look real close at my build thread, you can tell that my drivers door handle is a little darker than the rest, I used the dark smoked on that one only lol and the rest the light smoked just like the headlights ...

If you spray the bedliner at a higher psi you get a finer texture shoot it at a higher psi like 100 psi and you can thin it out with some reducer ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock