Black smoke after new injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello From Canada

I was having a long crank start issue on my 03 5.9 Cummins, I took it into a shop and they said the fuel pump wasn’t working correctly so we replaced it with an after market Fass Fuel System, unfortunately didn’t fix the long crank starts. I also had the Fuel pressure control regulator replaced but I don’t think they used an OEM part.

Was at a job site the other day and shut the truck off but wasn’t able to start it again with out using quick start. My friend told me the injectors need to be changed and we replace them with some cheap aftermarket injectors that he paid only $900 for. It fixed the no start issue and long crank start issue however I am getting a ton of black smoke when I step on the throttle and lack of power.

Is there anything else I should check that might be causing low power and excessive black smoke? If I need to spend the money on some good injectors is there anyplace you would recommend to buy them from? Also I was thinking of getting a good scan tool for the truck, I also have a 7.3 ford that I would like to be able to scan. Any recommendations for a good scan tool would be appreciated.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Are you sure they installed the correct FASS for your truck? Looks like there are different models they could have installed. One being 100 GPH and the other being 140GPH. I don't know enough about how the fuel regulation works or what changes the FASS made but it kind of sounds like you are getting excessive fuel.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Were your cheap aftermarket injectors "performance" injectors? Sounds like too much fuel to me. Injectors are something you never want to go cheap on, more problems then they are worth most of the time.

RandyHut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked the spring in the return line pressure valve? If it breaks it can cause these issues. Not sure about the 03 models, my buddies 96 model, we used a bic ink pen spring to get him home once, pulling a 27ft trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963