Black vs other colors.. need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GOATram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a beautiful black truck at one of the dealers near me, 2019 sport package. I love the color, but I am a bit concerned about the upkeep due to the fact that black gets dirty quickly. I would like to hear from owners who have black trucks or considered buying black trucks.

Why did you buy or did not buy black?

How much of effort is required to keep it in top shape?

Do you take it to car wash or hand wash?

Do you have swirl marks after several washes?

Would you consider buying black again?

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Black is a full time job! For ease of up keep silver or white. However nothing looks as good as a black truck.

Without knowing your wash routine the swirl mark appearance is hard to advise. If you patronize washes with spinning brushes it will start scratching with the first wash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, black is not a color it's a full time job.

I have a black "my baby" car, my RAM had to be white because I don't need 2 full time jobs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m lazy so I bought granite metallic. It hides dirt the best.

Lol I am a detailer. Not just wash n wax, but full paint correction and all. I bought the Granite metallic too. The Black was beautiful, but I knew myself and didn’t want the headache

OP
OP
G

GOATram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Black is a full time job! For ease of up keep silver or white. However nothing looks as good as a black truck.

Without knowing your wash routine the swirl mark appearance is hard to advise. If you patronize washes with spinning brushes it will start scratching with the first wash

I use the two bucket system and use fresh towels etc. But with family obligations I don't get enough time, so I just run it through car wash once in a while. I am thinking may be I should keep away from black. It's going to be very tough to let it pass up.

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the two bucket system and use fresh towels etc. But with family obligations I don't get enough time, so I just run it through car wash once in a while. I am thinking may be I should keep away from black. It's going to be very tough to let it pass up.

Smart move. The touch less are best if you have too, but won’t remove traffic film

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
I’ve been using F11 topcoat and so far I like it. I couldn’t see myself spending $$$ on ceramic costing for a truck.

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
I told myself if never buy another black vehicle but the black option bighorn was just too beautiful, I'm sure I'll hate myself at a later date but so far I'm happy

OP
OP
G

GOATram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I told myself if never buy another black vehicle but the black option bighorn was just too beautiful, I'm sure I'll hate myself at a later date but so far I'm happy

I hear you.. I am in the same boat. The bighorn black package is too beautiful to pass up…

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear you.. I am in the same boat. The bighorn black package is too beautiful to pass up…

It is a gorgeous truck! I had to pull myself away from it. The white color matched is what I wanted and look great with black badging, however they didn’t have one. The Granite had swirls on the lot but not as noticeable as the black. I took care of the swirls the first Saturday I had.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My dad's previous truck was black and my previous truck was black. When I traded, I didn't want black. It just shows too much in the way of dirt and scratches/swirls/etc. Not mention that it absorbs a lot of heat. When I got my 1500, I didn't have a specific color in mind but wanted something lighter. Very happy with silver.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve had 2 black vehicles in the past. Absolutely beautiful when freshly washed and zaino’d. Using the quick detailer spray, I didn’t mind keeping up on it for the first 6 months but after the newness wears off, or it’s winter, life gets in the way and you just stare at the swirl marks wishing you bought any color other than black. ;)

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ceramic coating is great, but requires it’s own maintenance and won’t prevent swirls.

I have my black car coated

What Kfield said.....coatings are not the be all & end all. They still require maintenance.

My last pickup was black and had the ceramic coating. It was still a pain in the ass. I don't have that kind of time so I went with my second favourite colour...white.