Black vs other colors.. need opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
OK.
I'll guestimate you worked 40 yrs bc you're retired.
40 yrs X 365 days X 1/2 hr = 304 days of your life spent cleaning vehicles. WOW! You coulda built a nice sailboat. ;)

Now that's funny. I could have had a nice 2nd home paid for in the Caymans with all of the money I've spent on vehicles AND the sailboat!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Now that's funny. I could have had a nice 2nd home paid for in the Caymans with all of the money I've spent on vehicles AND the sailboat!
Just joshin' ya. You're obviously out of my league. I go to the drive through 4 times a year whether it needs it or not. About an hour a year LOL.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
202b8d4c399a7612e3e1368fcc2ab77b.jpg

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is a truck. I use it like a truck. I'm never going to detail it. Ever. If it's really dirty, I'll go through a car wash. I'm sure I could spend a ton of time keeping it pristine, but I'd rather spend my time doing other things. Some day when I'm on my death bed and looking back at what I did during my life, incessant work to keep a truck shiny probably won't make the top 10. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Same here. I had a black and chrome Ram for 15+ years. It was difficult to keep clean. After the first year or so, I stopped worrying about appearance everyday and treated it like a truck. It made lots of trips through car washes. Yes, you could see swirls if you looked real close in direct sunlight. It would turn yellow every spring for several weeks when it got coated with sticky pine pollen. And it sat in the Florida sun the entire time, it was never garaged. Despite all that, it still looked fabulous when it was clean. It even looked pretty damn good when it was a bit dirty.

With all that said, I now own a white Ram--which required a huge visual adjustment on my part. It took me a couple of months to get used to the white. I still get a bit envious when I see a black Ram. My decision to buy a white truck this time was strictly based on vehicle price, rather than the maintenance necessary to keep a black truck looking decent. I still prefer black and chrome over white, but white does not require constant washing--unless you just want to do it. Some people enjoy it.

I know a fellow who has a white truck, and he washes it daily. I don't know if he enjoys it or if it's just a good way to escape the wife for a while. Maybe it's "therapy" for him? It's certainly therapy for me to sit in the shade and drink a cold beer and watch him sweat his buns off washing an already clean truck! :D:p:)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
never again will I own a black vehicle lol. My octane red Charger is bad enough with showing dust a day after washing it.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Damn son, that truck's so shiny, you're makin' the sky blue! Pretty sky in TX, and a lot of it. Are those Tyger flares? Look just like mine.

Thank ya for the compliment but if you saw it in person you’d wanna kick my ass cause it’s actually pretty filthy. The flares are the tyger ones I think. Knockoff Bushwackers

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thank ya for the compliment but if you saw it in person you’d wanna kick my ass cause it’s actually pretty filthy. The flares are the tyger ones I think. Knockoff Bushwackers

Yup. I bought Tyger flares too. $155. for all 4. BushWhacker wanted $550.! For 4 pieces of plastic. F*ck that. Like to buy American but man, don't rip me off like that if you want my business. That blue is a real nice blue. And it sure don't look dirty from NJ.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yup. I bought Tyger flares too. $155. for all 4. BushWhacker wanted $550.! For 4 pieces of plastic. F*ck that. Like to buy American but man, don't rip me off like that if you want my business. That blue is a real nice blue. And it sure don't look dirty from NJ.

I sure appreciate the flowers from NJ. I live way out n the country when the wind blows it gets dirty. I agree but American when possible but don’t attempt to get rich off me. If I’m havin beans n cornbread then they can too.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I’m always getting compliments on my truck. I don’t know why there’s a lot of them here. I wash n wax when I can but when it’s 110* in the shade it can just stay dirty.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I offered an opinion on black earlier in this thread and then what did I go do.....yep, bought Black. Lol.

Proud of myself though. It’s getting dirty, has a bunch of bugs smashed on the front of it and it doesn’t bother me. I guess that means I’m gettin old. ;)

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
So I offered an opinion on black earlier in this thread and then what did I go do.....yep, bought Black. Lol.

Proud of myself though. It’s getting dirty, has a bunch of bugs smashed on the front of it and it doesn’t bother me. I guess that means I’m gettin old. ;)

I’ve had 2 black vehicles in the past. Absolutely beautiful when freshly washed and zaino’d. Using the quick detailer spray, I didn’t mind keeping up on it for the first 6 months but after the newness wears off, or it’s winter, life gets in the way and you just stare at the swirl marks wishing you bought any color other than black. ;)

Just goes to show these these trucks are like drugs. How many times have I woke up with a hangover and said, “I’m never drinking again!” Then the pain wears off and it’s party time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the metallic green 2012 hemi longhorn. It is a rare color and looks great. Even when dirty, it is not bad looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I refuse to buy a truck that's not black. I'm on my fourth one. I didn't read all of the comments. If you aren't someone who regularly washes your vehicle, black may not be for you. I wash regularly ....regardless of color. My wife has a silver MB and it's washed weekly. She had a white one that was washed weekly.

I also have another trick that can hold me over until I wash it. I clean all of the windows, the rims and tires and I wash the tailgate/rear bumper and call it a day. May seem crazy, but it works for me. I'll admit I'm garage kept and super **** about cleanliness. I vacuum my driver side floor mat every day I get home whether its a new vehicle or old one :)

Oh, I never use automatic car washes of any kind. I pay for hand washes or do it myself. Mostly do it myself. The drying can be a bit much because of it being black and showing everything but I can do it quickly with microfiber towels
1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

screamneagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 rebel
Engine
5.7 hemi
My '94 Ram was black. Beautiful truck. My routine with it was wash truck, park in garage, next morning pull truck out of garage and wash truck.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a quick follow up. After having black for a few weeks, one thing I did not remember from having prior black vehicles is how my heart jumps every time I see a white dirt spot, I automatically think it’s a ding or paint chip. A quick wipe with a finger puts the heart back in rhythm ;).

I will be having this one ceramic coated though in a couple weeks. Hoping to keep swirl marks to a minimum from the constant washing I know I’ll be doing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963