BlackMagnums retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright, as pointed out, some of this information may prove to be useful to others looking to do a similar mod. However I'm making this plain: this is not a how to do a retrofit thread. There are plenty of those all over the internet. But no, this is more based on the specifics of my build, and of course me getting any help on it, and any information that may apply to people doing a similar build.

Alright to start, I currently have Spec D projector eBay headlights. c13f09decb5bde33d24bd33eb1e3676f.jpg I friggin hate them. The projectors themselves aren't bad. And my HIDs (DDM Tuning 6000k for low beam and for high beam) are awesome. But I hate everything else about them. I hate the headlights high beams, I hate the cheap quality. I hate that everyone and their mother has them. So I'm moving on past that.
My idea for a long time has been projector low beams with my current HIDs and LED pods for high beams. Because like I said, I love the projectors, and LED pods are absolutely awesome. So much light. And one issue I've found with having HID high beams (unless you have bi xenon bulbs/projectors) is when you go to flash someone, it makes no difference, because the bulb has to warm up first. LEDs don't have that issue.

Now there are people that have put LED pods in 2nd gen headlights before. Such as 648994e2c0c91a0e75c7d9f3b0b64a91.jpg
Or the crew cab second gen from diesel power gear 2785aca184685359fbdfbc80cb5c9938.jpg.
And there are tons of people that have put projectors in their second gen: 51dcbc0f3ef60ad377ee936fa20b9a27.jpg
But I've never seen someone that has done both.

So to start with, I went to pick my projectors. My first though, of course, was Morimoto. But I decided to do more research. I found comparisons of a few projectors on the market, and the Nilight 2.5" minis are comparable, and in some instances better, than the Morimotos. And for a much cheaper price. And they accept H1 bulbs, which my current HIDs are. So it's a no brainer. Here's a good comparison: https://youtu.be/9WW5tpOWMxw
And here's the projectors I'm getting http://www.amazon.com/Nilight®-Mini-Bixenon-Projector-Lens/dp/B00B21R0TA

Then, I went to select my pods. Initially, I wanted driving pattern pods, like Rigid sells. But only Rigid sells those from what I've seen, and frankly, I don't need to spend that kind of money. Of course some will disagree, but, especially inside a weather tight headlight, it's not worth the extra money. So I'm just going with a generic 2x2 spot beam from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dually-Drivin...102963&sr=8-1&keywords=led+cube+spot+16w+cree

Turn signals, I will carry my switchback LEDs from superbrightleds over, as I absolutely love them.

I decided I want to add in some RGB color changing demon eyes as well, since I'm doing custom projectors. If I was going for Morimotos, there are plenty of different sets made specifically for their projectors. Nothing for the Nilights, so I'll be doing a simple Amazon special universal kit with remote. Here's what I'm looking at: http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-3-SMD...&qid=1453104411&sr=8-1&keywords=rgb+demon+eye

One other thing Ive addressed so far has been wiring. Stock, when you activate the high beams, as many know, the low beams cut out. I plan on utilizing the LED pod as well as the projectors bi xenon capabilities. For those that don't know what I mean by bi xenon, on the projector, there is a small shutter near the top of the projector, that cuts off some light when the low beams are on. When you activate the high beam, the shutter opens, and let's all of the light out. Some bi xenon HID kits work the same way, however the bulb may move if it is not specifically made for a projector. Now it's simple to wire the shutter to the high beams, but the problem would be, the bulb itself would cut out, because it's wired to the low beam. That presents a problem. Thankfully, I have a little experience with this, as I wired a bi xenon kit on my dads 06. The wiring to keep the lights on and make the bulb or shutter move is on a different harness. So sure enough I checked DDM Tunings site, and they offer a harness that will plug right into the projector shutter plug and into my HID ballasts that will keep it on. Exactly what I need. Then I'll run a relay off of the high beam and wire that to the LED pod. Here's a link to the harness: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/High-Low-Harness

So my last issue, is simply fitment. I'm worried about fitting a projector and pod into the same headlight. Currently the headlights I'm considering using for this are these here c14cd1cc0a5b3a41fcbe01a467852a7f.jpg
But there are more I'm considering, including 670cc19aee3ff6de48d7db6c93bdb865.jpg edc99dc41ee6f06e648bcb531cac77ef.jpg f511cb8ad110c4801822a0e01d5ca0b2.jpg
I'm having serious doubts on some of these. The only set I'm fairly sure will work are the first ones that I'm mainly considering. My only issue is I want to use the mini gatling shroud that comes with the projector, and I'm not sure how that will work with the way that headlight has what seems like a built in shroud. Still need to make a decision on what I'm doing exactly. But that's where I'm at now. Any more updates will be in here

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
First 2 housings you posted would prob be the best bet. I would also consider the morimoto Mini matchbox 2.0, would be pricy, but easy as **** to install in place of a standard halogen socket and would offer more room for the pod

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first two would probably rule out the use of the mini Gatling as it would require removing the shrouds in the headlights and I don't know about the 1st set, but that second set gets real ugly the minute you remove all of the nice plastic. I actually have a spare set of the second picture's housing. I can take some measurements of the high beam side and post back some information this week.

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The first two would probably rule out the use of the mini Gatling as it would require removing the shrouds in the headlights and I don't know about the 1st set, but that second set gets real ugly the minute you remove all of the nice plastic. I actually have a spare set of the second picture's housing. I can take some measurements of the high beam side and post back some information this week.
I'm hoping that I can make the gatling shroud work with that first set somehow. But if it comes down to it, I'm not apposed to getting the first set and simply painting, replacing the projector, and adding in the pod and demon eyes.
If you could get those measurements that'd be great. If I remember right those pods are like 3"x3"

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Personally think that you should ditch the idea of putting a pod inside. if you go with a good projector that has a high and low setting you couldnt even see the pod over the projectors output.

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Personally think that you should ditch the idea of putting a pod inside. if you go with a good projector that has a high and low setting you couldnt even see the pod over the projectors output.

I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion lol. Not only do I think it will be bad ass, and unique, but the pod will be a spot beam aimed straight out. I'm pretty sure I won't see most of my projectors output over my fog lights (HID), and combined with the pod, I don't think I'll see it at all.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
I'll respectfully disagree with your opinion lol. Not only do I think it will be bad ass, and unique, but the pod will be a spot beam aimed straight out. I'm pretty sure I won't see most of my projectors output over my fog lights (HID), and combined with the pod, I don't think I'll see it at all.

#1 pnp HIDs in a Halogen reflector housing arent doing much for you. if you get a quality projector and quality HID kit for the projector i 100% guarantee that they will out perform some cheap amazon duallys. my amazon pods are damn near the same and have no throw. those pods will not put light out any farther than a good set of bi-projectors on high beam. but its your money

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
#1 pnp HIDs in a Halogen reflector housing arent doing much for you. if you get a quality projector and quality HID kit for the projector i 100% guarantee that they will out perform some cheap amazon duallys. my amazon pods are damn near the same and have no throw. those pods will not put light out any farther than a good set of bi-projectors on high beam. but its your money

I have projectors and a "quality" HID kit now lol. All a bi xenon projector does is open a little flap at the top to let some of the light at the top of the beam out. And I'm going to utilize that, along with the pods. It's $30 extra for more light and extra bad assery lmao I'm not complaining. Even if I end up regretting it, I've wasted $30 on worse

Last edited:

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha wasted $30. I don't want to calculate how much money I've officially "wasted" on my truck.

I'm still thinking of replicating that diesel gear truck and building a set of headlights using only pods. The Rigid SAE fog lights like I have in my bumper now, and a set of the Rigid Spots as a high beam. Right now I just want a set of housings that don't flop up and down while I'm driving down the road. I'll focus on building custom housings later on down the road haha.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2d101d265834bb31b7daf5cba6b8d1ed.jpg
2 5/8" at its thinnest
b56e5c04ea88cabbe92ed041bec484f3.jpg
5" tall
And to clarify what you're looking at because this is a headlight housing without the red plastic bezel and it's kind of hard to see where the bezel would sit if it were in there. This area spans the entire length and width of the high beam area and goes from the left side of the housing to the wall at the projector shroud. a2e74c555c04ef623ecfb394f61f15aa.jpg
Hope this helps black Cody. I would think that a 2x2 cube would fit just snug inside that area and it's parallel all the way to the reflector cup, so it should be feasible to mount.

OP
OP
BlackMagnum2000

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
2d101d265834bb31b7daf5cba6b8d1ed.jpg
2 5/8" at its thinnest
b56e5c04ea88cabbe92ed041bec484f3.jpg
5" tall
And to clarify what you're looking at because this is a headlight housing without the red plastic bezel and it's kind of hard to see where the bezel would sit if it were in there. This area spans the entire length and width of the high beam area and goes from the left side of the housing to the wall at the projector shroud. a2e74c555c04ef623ecfb394f61f15aa.jpg
Hope this helps black Cody. I would think that a 2x2 cube would fit just snug inside that area and it's parallel all the way to the reflector cup, so it should be feasible to mount.
Well the pod is apparently 2 15/16".. so.. I don't think that'd fit

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the pod is apparently 2 15/16".. so.. I don't think that'd fit

You could trim the bezel to accept the pod as long as you mounted it at the back of the reflector cup. But for your build, it will probably be better to go with another housing.