Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my test results from Blackstone today. Maybe you guys can help me understanding this.
Thanks

View attachment 171960
For a motor with it 16k on it, that looks right. The high copper is normal in these Hemi's and everything else looks good.

The viscosity, moly, calcium, zinc, boron, and silicon are all normal levels for Redline. Iron looks good for such a young motor and aluminum as well.

You should see a slow but steady decrease in copper/iron as you get more miles on the truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
High wear engine, was it ticking? First redline uoa is always the worst, but yes in a young engine that high wear can be scary, but fret not that looks very similar to mine at that time. Those wear numbers should level out around 35k miles. TBN suggest you can surely go farther if you want. My question would be how long the oil was in? If that is a 6 month interval, you can easily put 10k miles or a year, whatever comes first. You might want to skip and uoa or two, and just do one at 35k miles. I say that assuming people are tight with their money like myself, if you can afford it there will be some use to that info.

Got 1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l v8
For a motor with it 16k on it, that looks right. The high copper is normal in these Hemi's and everything else looks good.

The viscosity, moly, calcium, zinc, boron, and silicon are all normal levels for Redline. Iron looks good for such a young motor and aluminum as well.

You should see a slow but steady decrease in copper/iron as you get more miles on the truck.

Thanks for your input.

Got 1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l v8
High wear engine, was it ticking? First redline uoa is always the worst, but yes in a young engine that high wear can be scary, but fret not that looks very similar to mine at that time. Those wear numbers should level out around 35k miles. TBN suggest you can surely go farther if you want. My question would be how long the oil was in? If that is a 6 month interval, you can easily put 10k miles or a year, whatever comes first. You might want to skip and uoa or two, and just do one at 35k miles. I say that assuming people are tight with their money like myself, if you can afford it there will be some use to that info.

Even if I switched to Red Line 5w30 at 4500k I still had couple of ticking startups. After 7500k it got better. Now it happens like once or twice a month and this after very, very short engine running time. Sometimes I drive the truck on a very short distances.
This OCI was after 4 1/2 months, so I guess I can put couple of more miles on it.
I'll definitely do another uoa around 35k.

Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even if I switched to Red Line 5w30 at 4500k I still had couple of ticking startups. After 7500k it got better. Now it happens like once or twice a month and this after very, very short engine running time. Sometimes I drive the truck on a very short distances.
This OCI was after 4 1/2 months, so I guess I can put couple of more miles on it.
I'll definitely do another uoa around 35k.

Thanks

So it was ticking worse on the oil you used before? Now you are sticking with redline for time being, what % would you say redline made it better to this point? What filter are you using? Keep us updated on anything you try lubrication wise and the result. I will say yo don't have any issues outside normal hemi wear metals. That is good news, and besides a little wear, that oil looks killer, lol. lotsa good stuff in that uoa, thanks for posting.

Got 1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l v8
So it was ticking worse on the oil you used before? Now you are sticking with redline for time being, what % would you say redline made it better to this point? What filter are you using? Keep us updated on anything you try lubrication wise and the result. I will say yo don't have any issues outside normal hemi wear metals. That is good news, and besides a little wear, that oil looks killer, lol. lotsa good stuff in that uoa, thanks for posting.

To answer to your questions, yes, it was ticking much worse with the factory oil in it and the valve train was noisy. Right after I switched to Red Line, it took like 1200 miles to get rid of the tick and I can say that this combo that I'm using, Red Line oil & Royal purple oil filter, made it 90% better.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To answer to your questions, yes, it was ticking much worse with the factory oil in it and the valve train was noisy. Right after I switched to Red Line, it took like 1200 miles to get rid of the tick and I can say that this combo that I'm using, Red Line oil & Royal purple oil filter, made it 90% better.
That's AWESOME to hear [emoji1360]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Black stone sample sent in . Second sample due to the first one causing some controversy of it actually bring my sample or redline at all....

I have piston slap on cold starts and a hesitating cold start lately with a 93 tune (happened last year but went away and now came back ... I run a vararam cold air intake .

27k mi on truck well maintained

Any insight on the comments of blackstone and opinions are welcome . Thank you.

4fbf86eeb84d0984885b83d210fc62a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Black stone sample sent in . Second sample due to the first one causing some controversy of it actually bring my sample or redline at all....

I have piston slap on cold starts and a hesitating cold start lately with a 93 tune (happened last year but went away and now came back ... I run a vararam cold air intake .

That's still a young engine so those wear numbers for a 6500 mile oci are pretty good. Mine didn't start showing low wear numbers until 35k and its been similar miles for other people...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

So you're saying the first sample on this page was Redline ?
Certainly doesn't look like to me [emoji848]

The most recent sample does look like Redline for sure and I see nothing wrong with any of the wear metals .
The silicone is elevated due to additives in Redline oil , possibly air filtering could be improved , if you have installed a new air filter I'd check how well it is seated [emoji106]

Take a look at my Blackstone lab report on my truck which is the closest to your truck mileage wise that I could find in my archives , and I think you'll find your sample is fine and very similar to mine .

Remember we are talking ppm's Parts Per Million here [emoji106][emoji106]

I have 83k on my truck now and my wear metals are single digits and my 5.7L is quiet as a church mouse ( even at a drive through [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

My truck has been on a Redline diet for over 60k [emoji106]
Hope this helps you Sir !

ccccc8cedbb5da31af3508e33f8b396f.jpg

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you're saying the first sample on this page was Redline ?
Certainly doesn't look like to me [emoji848]

The most recent sample does look like Redline for sure and I see nothing wrong with any of the wear metals .
The silicone is elevated due to additives in Redline oil , possibly air filtering could be improved , if you have installed a new air filter I'd check how well it is seated [emoji106]

Take a look at my Blackstone lab report on my truck which is the closest to your truck mileage wise that I could find in my archives , and I think you'll find your sample is fine and very similar to mine .

Remember we are talking ppm's Parts Per Million here [emoji106][emoji106]

I have 83k on my truck now and my wear metals are single digits and my 5.7L is quiet as a church mouse ( even at a drive through [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

My truck has been on a Redline diet for over 60k [emoji106]
Hope this helps you Sir !

ccccc8cedbb5da31af3508e33f8b396f.jpg

Sir yes sir thanks for your input ! Eases my nerves a little bit ! I'll add another sample reading prob in a year and 6500 miles later lol

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad I could help [emoji106][emoji106]

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

You never want to see wear metals double, but in this case I wouldn’t worry about it. Your first oil sample was an anomaly, this oil sample is on par with a young engine. I’d be more worried about my filtration looking at your report.
If I remember correctly your first sample you added something to the oil; I think it acted as an accelerant in the oil. Just my theory.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You never want to see wear metals double, but in this case I wouldn’t worry about it. Your first oil sample was an anomaly, this oil sample is on par with a young engine. I’d be more worried about my filtration looking at your report.
If I remember correctly your first sample you added something to the oil; I think it acted as an accelerant in the oil. Just my theory.

Yes Lucas oil. Not with this sample tho ;-) the vsraram filter I though was good .... Could be the replacement of th intake manifold and gaskets causing the silicone increase ?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Yes Lucas oil. Not with this sample tho ;-) the vsraram filter I though was good .... Could be the replacement of th intake manifold and gaskets causing the silicone increase ?

Removing the intake manifold could definitely let in some dirt. You’ll know for sure on your next report.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Redline oil has lots of silicone , Blackstone mentions it on all my reports [emoji106]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

I'd be worried if I didnt see it before. Seams like the first uoa on redline is the worst, some theory is the esters leach ions out of metal, or the extreme aw additives cause wear until sharp edges are knocked down, which is a fact, could be either of these. Bottom line, if the wear doesn't drop I'd switch oils, but we have seen this many times, very likely 2 and 3rd uoa after first redline will be stellar.

thanks for reporting, none of us care about the result other then it's the truth, which of course yours is. Good info to know, keep us in loop. So piston slap is back?

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be worried if I didnt see it before. Seams like the first uoa on redline is the worst, some theory is the esters leach ions out of metal, or the extreme aw additives cause wear until sharp edges are knocked down, which is a fact, could be either of these. Bottom line, if the wear doesn't drop I'd switch oils, but we have seen this many times, very likely 2 and 3rd uoa after first redline will be stellar.

thanks for reporting, none of us care about the result other then it's the truth, which of course yours is. Good info to know, keep us in loop. So piston slap is back?

I’ll def keep u posted thanks for the input. I’ll remain optimistic but as for the piston slap, it never went away , once it started its only continued , still goes away once warm but is definitely prevalent on warm up.