Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ll def keep u posted thanks for the input. I’ll remain optimistic but as for the piston slap, it never went away , once it started its only continued , still goes away once warm but is definitely prevalent on warm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it makes you feel better, mines had piston slap for over 40k and it's not gotten any worse after it started. I figure it's like the older GM LS motors that slapped like crazy but still went 200k+

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it makes you feel better, mines had piston slap for over 40k and it's not gotten any worse after it started. I figure it's like the older GM LS motors that slapped like crazy but still went 200k+

It does make me feel a little better ;-) thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer pennzoil synthetic. 5w20 Pp or pup not sure. Added 14oz of lubegard biotech and a royal purple filter a day after. Dumped at 2800 due to a few loud start ups. Trying qsud 5w30 this change20190719_072215.jpg

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear that, i knew getting a sample done early will show alot of break in metals, for piece of mind i needed to make sure that start up rattle wasn't causing anything excessive. Didn't get the tbn cause i was changing oil brands, not sure if ill be staying qsud or trying redline. Once i decide what im doing ill get better reports

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i sent away for a kit. only have 4000 miles on the truck though. should i wait to send it in towards the end of this oil cycle? ( i think that will be at about 5500 miles) or wait longer? i have no reason to do it at this point other than curiosity...not hearing anything thats giving me a concern. i'm from canada so due to cost differences out of my 2 changes per year i'll likely only send in one per year.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Glad to hear that, i knew getting a sample done early will show alot of break in metals, for piece of mind i needed to make sure that start up rattle wasn't causing anything excessive. Didn't get the tbn cause i was changing oil brands, not sure if ill be staying qsud or trying redline. Once i decide what im doing ill get better reports
My wear metals were four (4) times what yours are. I can hardly believe your Iron is that low, amazing!
I’d go with QSUD to say warranty compliant. Either way that’s impressive.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
i sent away for a kit. only have 4000 miles on the truck though. should i wait to send it in towards the end of this oil cycle? ( i think that will be at about 5500 miles) or wait longer? i have no reason to do it at this point other than curiosity...not hearing anything thats giving me a concern. i'm from canada so due to cost differences out of my 2 changes per year i'll likely only send in one per year.
I always take a sample when I change my oil, never before that unless I suspect something wrong. How often you test the depends on cost vs. information you want. A lot of guys do 1 per year.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
2nd BS oil report. All good at 37k. Had hot idle tic last 500 mi on the oil, shearing at end of life?It went away when changed .All so far pup 0w40. Switched from wixxp to RP filter. Still have warranty to think of. Would like to try RL.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
im about to shoot my computer and my cell phone spent too much time trying to figure it out, screen shot blurry. but not on the phone.
b4b91efe2a044650a7139fbb6dd4f2a3.jpg

Attachments

• 17 RAM 2500-190629.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's my first report at 12,577 miles with PUP 5W-30 and RP 10-48. I have had my truck for 25 months and usually change it every 6 months regardless of mileage (stated on my notes to them), however looks like he states to wait and change it at 4000 miles even if its over 6 months....is that correct?

I took this sample at my oil change and switched to RL 5W-30 and RP filter. The motor sounds good and runs great although I do get a tick for 3-5 sec at start up, its only been a few hundred miles on the RL though.

Blackstone_oil_07-2019_JB1.jpg

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got my 1st report, posted it, 2 days later i got 2 more sample bottles in the mail, is that how they do it? If it was mentioned already i apologize, i don't remember. I thought u had to go on the website and request the kit

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You never get charged unless you oil back something back, good to have bottles on hand. I can tell you they don't keep track on how many they send you, lol. They just keep coming sometimes.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hahaha, i was just confused, they tryin To tell me something! Just wasnt expecting it. Come on Burla no comment on there recommendation in my report?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just got my 1st report, posted it, 2 days later i got 2 more sample bottles in the mail, is that how they do it? If it was mentioned already i apologize, i don't remember. I thought u had to go on the website and request the kit

Nah, he didnt mention hemi like they usually do, I think it was just omitted because he wasn't thinking about the aplication but just the oil. He did let you know he noticed miles and that is was young engine, that is good. That is normal hemi wear, no need for 5k oil change, but at the same time to me that looks like a 7500 mile oil in your truck if you go back to it. Are you doing more uoa's, you may want to skip a couple? How many miles on redline, still ticking?

That oil almost looks like a 20 weight, I guess it comes like that, it only sheared a bit.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nah, he didnt mention hemi like they usually do, I think it was just omitted because he wasn't thinking about the aplication but just the oil. He did let you know he noticed miles and that is was young engine, that is good. That is normal hemi wear, no need for 5k oil change, but at the same time to me that looks like a 7500 mile oil in your truck if you go back to it. Are you doing more uoa's, you may want to skip a couple? How many miles on redline, still ticking?

That oil almost looks like a 20 weight, I guess it comes like that, it only sheared a bit.

That was the dealership synthetic with lubegard added. On the qsud 5w30 now. Tryin that out 1st, redline down the road. Still tryin to figure out how to run a better oil and keep my extended warranty. This game is ********

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That was the dealership synthetic with lubegard added. On the qsud 5w30 now. Tryin that out 1st, redline down the road. Still tryin to figure out how to run a better oil and keep my extended warranty. This game is ********

sounds like you're doing it already. (running 5-30). i guess if you run into engine trouble, switch it out to 5-20 again before you take it in for warranty. (assuming you can still run the engine of course:))

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s a fantastic report for an engine with 8k miles.
Imho , that is PUP due to the molybdenum ppm's .

And your iron is supper low for an 8k engine , most Hemi's sent that low until 35k .
Copper isn't bad either a young engine [emoji1360]

Qsud is a good oil , I'd definitely go with the 30wt ....well actually I'd use Redline but that's just me as I'm a Redline junkie [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Imho , that is PUP due to the molybdenum ppm's .

And your iron is supper low for an 8k engine , most Hemi's sent that low until 35k .
Copper isn't bad either a young engine [emoji1360]

Qsud is a good oil , I'd definitely go with the 30wt ....well actually I'd use Redline but that's just me as I'm a Redline junkie [emoji16]

Oops I meant to quote @William Hastings [emoji1360][emoji1360]

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im happy with the results, ill be on redline at some point! Only put about 6-7k a year on the truck. I know everyones situation is different, but I'm used to changing oil once a year, if i can do that with redline and an rp filter im in. If i have to change every 6 months cause this engine is picky ill run qsud or pup with lubegard possibly. But i do see myself goin to the honey at some point. Kind of want to see how different oils do in her

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye