Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
10k miles and 12 operating visc, like zero shear. You didn't want tbn? Hemi's are high wear engines, so I would say that is probably a dead bang middle to low wear report as far as wear. I think there would be value in doing one more, and adding tbn, at the 10k mile mark again. If by chance tbn is low it can accelerate wear, I don't really expect that here as the report looks good, but if it were me I'd want at least one run with tbn if I was to do 10k oci. You see the 3k mile report above, well if you make allowance for the miles and multiply his numbers by 3.33 you see your wear is very similar to his oil even at a extended interval.

I'll take that into consideration next go around. Just after the oil change I had trips to Kentucky then Florida from coastal SC so it won't be long. What exactly is TBN? And I'm assuming that its a good report? Not up on the nomenclature.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'll take that into consideration next go around. Just after the oil change I had trips to Kentucky then Florida from coastal SC so it won't be long. What exactly is TBN? And I'm assuming that its a good report? Not up on the nomenclature.

Very good report for a hemi, no wear issues. TBN is total base number, and TAN is total acid number. Very close to what you learned about basic chemistry, in use you have a starting tbn and tan number. The process of running an engine adds acid to your oil, makes tbn go down and tan go up. When tbn is low and tan goes up, acid starts etching metal. Mind you this is the main reason for an interval, the lab sets your interval based on tbn/tan levels. But you don't really need tan to set the oci, you can just use tbn, I like to change my oil around 2 tbn.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First time using redline and royal purple filter. I used k&N filter with PUP. Before that I believe it may have been Pennzoil filter and Pennzoil conventional. It was dealer brand for first 2 years as I bought it in 2013. That’s what I was told by dealer who I bought from.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
First time using redline and royal purple filter. I used k&N filter with PUP. Before that I believe it may have been Pennzoil filter and Pennzoil conventional. It was dealer brand for first 2 years as I bought it in 2013. That’s what I was told by dealer who I bought from.

So the news might even be better then, I always say skip the firsr run with redline as far as getting a uoa. All of them have heavier wear then to expect, we have theorized to the reason, either high aw additives knocking down edges or ions being leached, whatever it is the first uoa with redline is a throw away, known issue for that. Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is my first report. Just finished my second Redline 5w30 run with RP filter. Looks like she's running well. Just switched over to 0w30 Redline for winter and after 500 miles, it's noticeably quieter on cold starts and no tick. Might even try to run it year round. We'll see... Thanks to you guys for all the help here.

Attachments

• OilReports.pdf
    55.9 KB · Views: 18

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Here is my first report. Just finished my second Redline 5w30 run with RP filter. Looks like she's running well. Just switched over to 0w30 Redline for winter and after 500 miles, it's noticeably quieter on cold starts and no tick. Might even try to run it year round. We'll see... Thanks to you guys for all the help here.

Thanks for posting. Where are you located? How cold was it when you noticed quieter cold starts?

I would likely do the same as you if I was driving as much as I used to. Since I don't now, I plan to use 5W-30 only. I rarely park outside anymore (central Minnesota), and when I have, no piston slap has been audible. Yet, anyway (36k miles). 5W-30 is more robust, of course. Spec sheet data typical properties show 1/3 lower NOACK volatility and 10% higher HTHS than 0W-30. Probably means 0W-30 is lighter base oil with VI additive.

Also, I would still change @ 5,000 miles, though, knowing the sensitivity of this engine to oil borne deposits and contaminants.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

20 and 23 copper and iron or visa vers at 6400 mile interval, looks great. Almost 4tbn left, if you want you can go longer on your interval. with an engine running that good, I'd use my oil up before changing it. Looks like a 10k mile interval to me. Keep using synthetic filter.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for posting. Where are you located? How cold was it when you noticed quieter cold starts?

I would likely do the same as you if I was driving as much as I used to. Since I don't now, I plan to use 5W-30 only. I rarely park outside anymore (central Minnesota), and when I have, no piston slap has been audible. Yet, anyway (36k miles). 5W-30 is more robust, of course. Spec sheet data typical properties show 1/3 lower NOACK volatility and 10% higher HTHS than 0W-30. Probably means 0W-30 is lighter base oil with VI additive.

Also, I would still change @ 5,000 miles, though, knowing the sensitivity of this engine to oil borne deposits and contaminants.

I'm on Long Island so the winters aren't terrible but we have our cold days. On 5w30 I would notice some piston slap when we hits the 20s. Usually do some hunting trips upstate where 20s can be a warm day and the piston slap was very noticeable then. With Covid, I won't be up there this year.

We had a few days in the 20s when I changed to the 0w30 and there was a noticeable improvement in start up noise. I will keep an eye on it and post in the synthetic oil thread once it gets a little colder and let everyone know how it's holding up.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20 and 23 copper and iron or visa vers at 6400 mile interval, looks great. Almost 4tbn left, if you want you can go longer on your interval. with an engine running that good, I'd use my oil up before changing it. Looks like a 10k mile interval to me. Keep using synthetic filter.

Thanks for the feedback and help to date. Still have a stash of RP filters so I'm good in that department. Might luck out and be down to just one oil change a year if my driving habits remain the same which will be nice. Definitely happy getting a good report.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm on Long Island so the winters aren't terrible but we have our cold days. On 5w30 I would notice some piston slap when we hits the 20s. Usually do some hunting trips upstate where 20s can be a warm day and the piston slap was very noticeable then. With Covid, I won't be up there this year.

We had a few days in the 20s when I changed to the 0w30 and there was a noticeable improvement in start up noise. I will keep an eye on it and post in the synthetic oil thread once it gets a little colder and let everyone know how it's holding up.

Great application stuff.

Has the engine had piston slap since new (when cold outside)? Or developed over time? Is the truck parked outside overnight?

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great application stuff.

Has the engine had piston slap since new (when cold outside)? Or developed over time? Is the truck parked outside overnight?
My first winter I had the uconnect remote start free trial so I barely had a cold start where I was in the truck lol. Definitely heard it my second winter but it wasn't bad, but I was also running 5w20 from the dealership.

It become louder when I switched to RL 5w30 but not terrible, just noticed it on cold mornings. So figured I would try 0w30 this winter based on the recommendations in the synthetic oil thread. Truck is parked outside, 3 days after changing oil it was burried under 8 inches of snow and it was as quiet as a summer cold start when I got it going.

CD008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
upload_2021-1-5_20-36-1.png

Looking for any comments on this. They mentioned that the Silicon should not be so high and to check my air filter. I have an AEM and so likely due for a cleaning.

I just don't know what good values are supposed to look like for anything but the writeup doesnt state any big issues so that makes me feel good.

For context the first one was with some quick lubes place synthetic, maybe castrol 5w20. The latest one is with PUP 5w20. I just switched to redline 5w20 for the added Moly based on advice on the forums and will see where that goes after my next change.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditch the AEM filter and replace it with a quality name brand paper filter and that silicon number should drop to damn near zero. Also by the report it looks like you got 16K miles on that oil? Or maybe you didn’t get the last oil change sampled? That would definitely show a lot more wear metals,etc if in fact you had a super long interval. Glad to see you got some Redline in there though, I would never run any run of the mill group 3 oils more than 5-6K myself personally.

CD008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ditch the AEM filter and replace it with a quality name brand paper filter and that silicon number should drop to damn near zero. Also by the report it looks like you got 16K miles on that oil? Or maybe you didn’t get the last oil change sampled? That would definitely show a lot more wear metals,etc if in fact you had a super long interval. Glad to see you got some Redline in there though, I would never run any run of the mill group 3 oils more than 5-6K myself personally.

Maybe I will just switch back to single use filters.

The mileage is in km.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 232942

Looking for any comments on this. They mentioned that the Silicon should not be so high and to check my air filter. I have an AEM and so likely due for a cleaning.

I just don't know what good values are supposed to look like for anything but the writeup doesnt state any big issues so that makes me feel good.

For context the first one was with some quick lubes place synthetic, maybe castrol 5w20. The latest one is with PUP 5w20. I just switched to redline 5w20 for the added Moly based on advice on the forums and will see where that goes after my next change.

I have an AEM dry flow filter and do not see silicon levels that high in my reports (8-9ppm for me typically, 6k mile change interval). Not sure which type of AEM you have, but mine is just the drop in type that goes into the stock air box. I clean my filter yearly

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
View attachment 232942

Silicone is inert and wont cause issues with your lubrication, however it hints that it could be dirt related and since dirt doesn't come up in a uoa sometimes in a uoa means dirt in oil, which does cause wear. Wear numbers are top 4 lines, I'd say it is a tad high considering the mileage, usually high mileage engines will show lowest wear, but the interval is very long, so maybe it is just 100% normal. Weird you had that much tbn left after all those miles, mostly freeway driving? Everything looks really good considering everything, I would not be worried about that hemi.

CD008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Silicone is inert and wont cause issues with your lubrication, however it hints that it could be dirt related and since dirt doesn't come up in a uoa sometimes in a uoa means dirt in oil, which does cause wear. Wear numbers are top 4 lines, I'd say it is a tad high considering the mileage, usually high mileage engines will show lowest wear, but the interval is very long, so maybe it is just 100% normal. Weird you had that much tbn left after all those miles, mostly freeway driving? Everything looks really good considering everything, I would not be worried about that hemi.

I would say it is a fair amount of hwy driving.

I do have the drop in AEM dry filter. I will clean it up and maybe give it one more oil analysis.

I will also look to change at 10k vice 13k (6-8k miles for most of you here) this go around and see what that does.

Other than the damn exhaust bolts that will get repaired in the next few weeks she seems to be running quite well. Luckily for my mileage I have had few issues:

1. Third brake light leak - fixed under warranty maybe when it was 2-3 years old.
2. Front wheel bearing at about 4 years
3. Front Headlight a few weeks ago

Next on the list I will look to change all the fluids this spring - transfer case, diff, transmission. Maybe thats waiting a bit to long for the TC and Diff but I imagine they are fine, no leaking haven't done much towing. I did tow a camper for two summers about a dozen times each summer then I parked it so...

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say it is a fair amount of hwy driving.

I do have the drop in AEM dry filter. I will clean it up and maybe give it one more oil analysis.

I will also look to change at 10k vice 13k (6-8k miles for most of you here) this go around and see what that does.

Other than the damn exhaust bolts that will get repaired in the next few weeks she seems to be running quite well. Luckily for my mileage I have had few issues:

1. Third brake light leak - fixed under warranty maybe when it was 2-3 years old.
2. Front wheel bearing at about 4 years
3. Front Headlight a few weeks ago

Next on the list I will look to change all the fluids this spring - transfer case, diff, transmission. Maybe thats waiting a bit to long for the TC and Diff but I imagine they are fine, no leaking haven't done much towing. I did tow a camper for two summers about a dozen times each summer then I parked it so...

I've had all the same issues as you except for the wheel bearing in my 2015.

I changed my diff fluid at 50k miles, no problems there. It was easy but I only have one diff :)

I just changed my oil recently but didn't run a report. I forgot to collect the sample. I put Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 in. I'm interested to see how that will come out after 5-6k miles of use.