Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I asked Dave about that a while back and he said due to their base oils and moly level they have not gotten any lspi, so they won't consider it. I think it is a mistake myself, no reason to not raise mag and lower CA, but they have the right to do it there way. If I had a di turbo, I would use something else personally. Why risk an engine on that high CA level if there are other good choices out there?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If I had a turbo I would probably use SS in it...

x2, but I doubt I would ever buy a di turbo. I wish they would have made pi turbo's as an option to what is going on with engines. It is good to see many brands like Japanese sedans that still have non di turbo engines.

unless there is a reason you need the extra power or just want the extra power, then I say why open that can or worms? daily drivers I just say buy a 4 banger and chill. I dig the wifes rav 4, great engine and 29 mpg's is just a cool thing. leave the worms in the can.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
How come the viscosity index @ 100 c for Redline 5w-30 is 9.7-12.2, but for Pennzoil 5w-30 it is 9.4-11.9? Shouldn't all 5w-30 be the same index?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How come the viscosity index @ 100 c for Redline 5w-30 is 9.7-12.2, but for Pennzoil 5w-30 it is 9.4-11.9? Shouldn't all 5w-30 be the same index?

Viscosity index is something else, you are referring to operating viscosity, and there is a range that you can be to make it the correct weight.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very happy with my latest report. I skipped one analysis on my last oil change, but used the same filter and oil. That's why you will see a 10k mile difference between the last two changes. As you can see, I go about 5-6k miles between changes and don't plan on changing that. It works out to about 2 changes a year for me.

So why does my report look so much better this time? It could be the switch from 5w20 to 5w30. It could also be the more robust additive package in Shell RGT over Pennzoil Platinum (used in all three reports before this). This is my first report running Shell RGT.

Oil used was Shell RGT 5w30 with a Wix XP filter. Replaced with the same combo. I don't see a reason to ever change this.

upload_2021-5-20_14-33-41.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Very happy with my latest report. I skipped one analysis on my last oil change, but used the same filter and oil. That's why you will see a 10k mile difference between the last two changes. As you can see, I go about 5-6k miles between changes and don't plan on changing that. It works out to about 2 changes a year for me.

So why does my report look so much better this time? It could be the switch from 5w20 to 5w30. It could also be the more robust additive package in Shell RGT over Pennzoil Platinum (used in all three reports before this). This is my first report running Shell RGT.

Oil used was Shell RGT 5w30 with a Wix XP filter. Replaced with the same combo. I don't see a reason to ever change this.

View attachment 248083

Just a great example here, thanks for posting. Sometimes it is as simple as a little thicker oil providing better protection. A little more zinc a little more moly, but my guess is the viscosity provides a bit more protection. One report doesn't make it a "fact", but going to 5w30 didn't raise wear that is for sure. If you really wanted to test it, you can always try 5w20 again, lol. But in the end you found a great oil and we don't really need to know.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a great example here, thanks for posting. Sometimes it is as simple as a little thicker oil providing better protection. A little more zinc a little more moly, but my guess is the viscosity provides a bit more protection. One report doesn't make it a "fact", but going to 5w30 didn't raise wear that is for sure. If you really wanted to test it, you can always try 5w20 again, lol. But in the end you found a great oil and we don't really need to know.

My Jeep also takes 5w30, which is great since I only need to buy one oil for both. Probably won't go back to 20 weight for that reason alone lol.

Anyways, this oil works great and will keep going into my truck unless they change up the formula or stop making it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe i missed something but did amsoil change their ad pack? Seems like it used to have more zinc and moly

It is kinda interesting, but they advertise their oils to be super friendly to "resource conserving" and "low ash" api goals, but I don't think it is api certified. Just one report but yes it looks like even boron down as well as those other items. Clearly their oil isn't high additive like some high performance oils. Looking at the report I wonder why they don't put api on their flag ship oil, it appears as if they "Can" easily pass api requirements. Maybe if we get more amsoil ss uoa's we can see if they are lowering their additives, one report doesn't prove anything.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is kinda interesting, but they advertise their oils to be super friendly to "resource conserving" and "low ash" api goals, but I don't think it is api certified. Just one report but yes it looks like even boron down as well as those other items. Clearly their oil isn't high additive like some high performance oils. Looking at the report I wonder why they don't put api on their flag ship oil, it appears as if they "Can" easily pass api requirements. Maybe if we get more amsoil ss uoa's we can see if they are lowering their additives, one report doesn't prove anything.
This is the second one ive seen with lower additives. Maybe ill check bobs see if theres more

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I think it's all about the Benjamins for Amsoil - they've never API-certified any of their lubricants. Part of their business model. Myriad tests prove they have superior lubricants. I still find this approach a bit strange.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sounding pretty good for my Ram Redline and Royal Purple. Lot of mountain driving on this oil.
View attachment 250309

great report. What stands out is how similar the oil formula was across the board, that is what we like to see. Also, how many redline runs have you had? Wear coming down at least with copper and that is also what we tend to see, the longer you run redline the better the wear gets. You say you drove it a little harder this time as opposed to last? or pretty equal? You see you had more shear with viscosity this run over last, plus aluminum is up a notch, my guess is the oil worked harder this time, which when you look at wear as a whole, is pretty impressive imo. Ins up a notch as well, and moly down a bit.

Total guess here and I bet some people would disagree with it, but my guess it is possible you worked the engine harder so maybe some more moly plated, thus it was out of the oil. I say this not so much that moly level dropped a bit, but everything else alum, ins, visc, etc. Moly plates under pressure, pressure are higher when engine works harder, it is the science. This is one of those reports where we can't wait to see what happens next, I hope you get another, if not cool anyhow thanks for posting looking good man.

The interval, seams like 10k is perfect for you, 2.4 tbn is a great time ti change oil. I wouldn't want to go much further, if you do so consider adding bgmoa late in the interval for some tbn insurance.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My first 2 reports, finally got into the site and was able to download them with redacted personal info.

Kinda concerned about the copper, anyone know what that might be from? I think buried in all these threads somewhere Burla said it's common when switching to Redline and that after a bit it settles down. But the second report was a very small run/OCI, and it actually has more copper in it per KM than the first report.

Attachments

• blackstone_1.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 11
  • blackstone_2.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 10

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My first 2 reports, finally got into the site and was able to download them with redacted personal info.

Kinda concerned about the copper, anyone know what that might be from? I think buried in all these threads somewhere Burla said it's common when switching to Redline and that after a bit it settles down. But the second report was a very small run/OCI, and it actually has more copper in it per KM than the first report.
So first run was redline 5w30 and second was 5w20 redline?