Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Polyol Ester Oil, of which Red Line is some unknown % in the base oil (exclusive of that added to be an additive carrier oil for PAO base oils), is slightly denser than Poly Alpha Olefin Oil, due to the different molecular structure resulting from reacting an acid with an alcohol to derive it - instead of a chain hydrocarbon as is a PAO.

Therefore, one would expect the viscosity vs. temperature curve to be above that of a PAO. "thicker"

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
anyone have Blackstone on the new formula quaker state full synthetic
It's somewhere, either bobs or here somewhere, we discussed it in the last year. Moly level is all I kind of remember, and it was average in the 60-80ppm range I do believe give or take.

The latest truck and gas which were qsud clones are still having high moly, but it could be that is still old stock, hard to say at this point that also hasnt chnaged.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally got my results today. Look pretty good, especially considering I ran 0w30 all summer, and it was a toasty one to boot (but I did swap out the 203 thermostat for a 179 when it started getting hot...maybe that helped out?) And altho it doesn't appear to be critical, does anyone have an idea why it ended up with a trace of fuel in the oil? Or maybe that's just par for the course. And they were right when they thought I might have added some Archoil, which I forgot to mention...can't get nuthin by these guys!20211207_155422.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
If you have a tuner, you'll be running richer than stock, explains fuel dilution. Would be expected @ normal OCI of 5,300 miles. Really good report - almost enough to convince me to use 0W-30 year round. Doesn't look to be much shear down loss in viscosity or decrease in flash point.

Being an excellence-ist (but not a perfectionist), I will continue to use 5W-30 in summer for its considerably lower volatility and sheardown. Which is also the season most susceptible to those conditions - heavy loads, towing, traveling, etc.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Finally got my results today. Look pretty good, especially considering I ran 0w30 all summer, and it was a toasty one to boot (but I did swap out the 203 thermostat for a 179 when it started getting hot...maybe that helped out?) And altho it doesn't appear to be critical, does anyone have an idea why it ended up with a trace of fuel in the oil? Or maybe that's just par for the course. And they were right when they thought I might have added some Archoil, which I forgot to mention...can't get nuthin by these guys!View attachment 479303
Yeah great report thanks for doing that, we need more 0w30's around here. There is little difference between 0w30 and 5w30 except for cold protection, this oil will be substantially better in cold climates or winter in general, but you don't loose much by running it in summer. We might have to say 0w30 redline is hemi honey in the north and east, and 5w30 is hemi honey in the south and west.

My hemi is sensitive to oil, we were blown away when I tried 10w30 and my truck ticked the hole time, none of us understand that one to this day. My truck doesn't tick on 5w20 or 5w30, but does on 10w30. I will try 0w30, maybe next winter, and see what happens in me ram. In Corey's truck I believe there was no difference in his tick 0w30 and 5w30 redline kept it quiet, but 0w30 was best at piston slap, and mind you his truck still ticked on 5w20 redline. So if 0w30 works as good at tick it will be hood to have options, and solid info for guys wanting to try other oils for tick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline makes a 30 weight sae 30 race oil, sae 30 = 10w30. I wonder if that race oil would work better then 10w30 high performance series? The difference of course would be the race oil has way more additives ep/aw. It could shed some light on the question at what is quieting these hemis, it is redline base oils or the additives. Maybe some summer when I have an extra huned bucks to throw away I will try that. I know our old friend ronnie liked the 10w30 redline, but of course he didnt have tick to begin with, his uoa's are still the best ones I think the board has seen. I have to go back and look at rlk's uoa's and see if he took some 10w30 runs.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The base stock is too heavy for flowabilty until running temperature is reached. I wouldn't want my valve train starved for 5 minutes after every cold start.
The weak lifter lubrication is the whole point. Gotta get oil there at all times - need best flow possible with heavy dry film additives.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was thinking my location, should be ok in summer time, but obviously you are correct as my truck ticked on that formula. I should learn from Corey, if it aint broke don't fix it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Below is my 1st Red Line UOA. This is for the 5W-30 I ran from April to December this.

As I expected, it is highly boring. Like me. :yawn:

I asked them for more detail on viscosity tolerance band width to see if I can assess shear down (HTHS) and evaporation (NOACK) against my next UOA, which will be winter grade - 0W-30.

1639527817991.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Below is my 1st Red Line UOA. This is for the 5W-30 I ran from April to December this.

As I expected, it is highly boring. Like me. :yawn:

I asked them for more detail on viscosity tolerance band width to see if I can assess shear down (HTHS) and evaporation (NOACK) against my next UOA, which will be winter grade - 0W-30.

View attachment 479775
Looks pretty good Mann, nearly perfect, my guess you have ten points in there for the engine still being young. I will trade you anyday :)

I would have expected more tbn, a lot of city driving?

I will say that visc troubles me a bit for 5w30.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Looking at all the hubub in the Synthetic Oil Thread about Red Line SN+ / SP reformulation, I'm going to send in a VOA from the batch of 5W-30 I used.

Notably, this Red Line 5W-30 batch was only labeled SN, so should have been targeted to 100C viscosity of 11.7 cSt "typical" = nominal?. We will soon know what the factory new viscosity actually is. Then we will know if it sheared down and/or evaporated. Which would be disturbing as this is one of the highest HTHS and NOACK engine oils out there.

I'd also say I don't understand Blackstone's insistence that TBN = additive content. TBN is total base number. All that measures is alkalinity. That is the antioxidant additive ONLY - not the antiwear packs! This is obvious when looking at the moly, calcium, boron, etc. They're basically unused from new.

Estimate 2/3 of travel is highway. I live in exurban township area. All arteries are county and state highways. EVIC says engine idle time is 10% of total engine run time. Last trip prior to oil change was 500 miles of 90% interstate highway @ 70 mph in tow mode with trans capped @ 5th gear (no O.D. hunting) and MDS off.

Here's the oil bottle label:Red Line 5W-30 Label.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What a perfect report man, and perfect interval as well btw. I say 2.5 tbn left is a perfect interval, not too short and not pushing it. As we see, the hemi aint shredding viscosity at all, as in it is actually over a 30 weight a tad bit. This looks like one of those bullet proof hemi's on paper. Those wear numbers are as low as hemi's get, but then again the mileage helps the engine is in its prime.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@Sasquatchtdg - that is indeed a good report, but I wouldn't be stretching these OCI's, since this is a Hemi and is sensitive to contaminants in the oil. Many of us change @ 5000 miles for this reason. Trying not to fail our valve lifters and cam.

@Burla - I was paging through some of the 62 pages of UOA's here, and it seems Red Line 5W-30 viscosity is all over the map. Still within SAE 30 weight range, but not a tight consistency.

Whether that's due to Blackstone test equipment inconsistency, Red Line manufacturing inconsistency, or something else is unknown at this point. We will know more when I get my sample size of (1) Red Line 5W-30 new in bottle back from Blackstone and compare to my recent UOA posted here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That report and interval is so perfect, Im not sure I would do another, I'd just call it done. You got your oil and you got your interval. What filter were you using?

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hemiman said "but I wouldn't be stretching these OCI's, since this is a Hemi and is sensitive to contaminants in the oil"

BINGO! Regardless of how well the viscosity or tbn shows up, ya still have the dirt and by products of combustion contaminating the oil. Hence, out with the old, in with the new!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
the latest ****** of redline 5w30 from bitog has it at 11.6 cSt. We will see what hemimanns result is from a different lab. holy calcium batman, 3200 wow.