Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Valvoline EP 5w-30 with 6k on the oil and a RP 20-820 filter. Ram smooth and a little quieter than the QSUD I ran religiously before. I’ve been running 5w-30 for the last 50k miles and it seems to be doing ok.

View attachment 492442
yeah, like hemimann said, doesnt get better then that. Oil is close to a 20 weight, but doesnt mean anything with a report that looks that good.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The latest report oil report.
Redline 5w30 and a Royal Purple 20-500 filter. (The long skinny one.)

**--EDIT__** I can't seem to just show the image of the report. I don't know why. If someone can post this image, I'd be grateful.

Attachments

• 2014 UOA 112K edit.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 26

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Iron - 11
Copper- 15

Interval 5k miles.

Viscosity 1/2 point off what I'd expect, could be a band issue instead of engine issue.

Like ^ said, as good as it gets, if not close.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My netbook wont let me r, I just copy and pasted that. Brand issue.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, yes. Brand issue. Redline. I think the last UOA was the same issue. You had mentioned something about shearing, if I remember correctly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If it is shear, it is better this time, so just maybe the protective additives in redline are making it better. Another uoa will shed light on that deal.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, I'm finally getting off my dead tail and posting my recent (s) UOA's for you folks to view and compare from Blackstone Labs.

My oci intervals have always been old school @ 3000 miles and I could go longer. I'm retired for the last year and a half now so 3000 miles a year is about all I'm averaging.

The Red Line 5w/30 UOA was using an Purolator Boss oil filter and the Pennzoil Platinum 5w/30 and the earlier 5w/20 UOA's I was using mainly Purolator Boss and a few MOPAR 339's

My current oil run I'm using Red Line 5w/30 and an Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter. My HEMI is quiet and runs smooth on this oil strategy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220510-112813~3.png
    Screenshot_20220510-112813~3.png
    580.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20220510-112746~3.png
    Screenshot_20220510-112746~3.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, I'm finally getting off my dead tail and posting my recent (s) UOA's for you folks to view and compare from Blackstone Labs.

My oci intervals have always been old school @ 3000 miles and I could could go longer. I'm retired for the last year and a half now so 3000 miles a year is about all I'm averaging.

The Red Line 5w/30 UOA was using an Purolator Boss oil filter and the Pennzoil Platinum 5w/30 and the earlier 5w/20 UOA's I was using mainly Purolator Boss and a few MOPAR 339's

My current oil run I'm using Red Line 5w/30 and an Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter. My HEMI is quiet and runs smooth on this oil strategy.
Looks like for your mileage you could go for 2 year intervals with redline!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

My oci intervals have always been old school @ 3000 miles and I could could go longer. I'm retired for the last year and a half now so 3000 miles a year is about all I'm averaging.

You seam to have a medium wear hemi, it is very consistent from one to the next interval. I say medium wear because I'd double the numbers to account for the short interval to get you to universal averages. We all know the first redline uoa is a throw away, it has been discussed many times. with theories ranging from leaching ions to heavy aw additives which encourage good wear. You see zinc phos both doubled from last interval, which can lead to good wear in a young engine. Up to you, I'd suggest at least a 5k interval, plenty of tbn to support this. It is very possible if you stay on redline the wear will start going down and the viscosity may go up a bit, I'm looking forward to seeing future uoa's. Future uoa's on this well documented hemi will really tell a tale on redline. If I am betting on it, wear will go down and keep trending that way.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
You seam to have a medium wear hemi, it is very consistent from one to the next interval. I say medium wear because I'd double the numbers to account for the short interval to get you to universal averages. We all know the first redline uoa is a throw away, it has been discussed many times. with theories ranging from leaching ions to heavy aw additives which encourage good wear. You see zinc phos both doubled from last interval, which can lead to good wear in a young engine. Up to you, I'd suggest at least a 5k interval, plenty of tbn to support this. It is very possible if you stay on redline the wear will start going down and the viscosity may go up a bit, I'm looking forward to seeing future uoa's. Future uoa's on this well documented hemi will really tell a tale on redline. If I am betting on it, wear will go down and keep trending that way.

Thanks very much for the note @Burla.

My HEMI is performing really well on the Red Line 5w/30 and Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter strategy. I'll never go back to using an "off the shelf" synthetic 5w/20 weight oil again.

My HEMI is quiet at start up and runs smooth on the high/roadways.

I'll probably keep on doing 3000 miles oci, but that isn't etched in stone. I'm the old school type that likes/enjoys doing this type of simple maintenance for my truck and to satisfy my mind.

I'll sincerely consider a longer oil run as it most likely ain't gonna hurt anything!

I'll post my next Blackstone UOA here in this thread for you and other folks for viewing and comparing.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just changed oil today and will be sending my sample in to blackstone labs. Curious to see my results. How long does it normally take for them to sample and get results back to you?