Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I cant wait to see the next one, that actually was a real good move imo.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I cant wait to see the next one, that actually was a real good move imo.
The truck sees very consistent usage overall between oil changes. Trips to KY (1000 mile round trip) towing one of three trailers and equipment including the loaded Gooseneck with tractor at right around 11,500 LBS. A couple of truck camper trips frequently towing a smaller 3K trailer. The truck earns it keep from day 1.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1st oil analysis on this vehicle. 65K miles 5K OCI's since new. Most oil changes PUP 0W40 with WIX XP filter. A few early on (still 5K OCI) oil changes by the FCA Engineering Center as this was my Company PE vehicle before I bought it after 1 year. Based on the P/N the Eng. Center used 0W40 PP and Mopar filter. Truck used mostly for towing and truck camper usage for the past 45K miles. Magnetic plug was very clean FYI. Comments please. TIAView attachment 501442
My iron was 23 and copper was 87 with just shy of 25,000 miles on mine. Just under 5000 miles on the oil change. My viscosity was lower than yours too at 59.4 and 10.05. I also used lubeguard biotech on this past oil change. Only have about 2500 miles on this change. Probably going with redline 5w-30 on the next change. I have 2 changes worth of that in the garage, and about 4 more changes worth of the PUP 0W40 in the garage. Probably stick with the PUP in winter and redline in the summer.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would make sense that the viscosity is a little lower when using the lubegard as that stuff is the equivalent of 5w20. Something to keep in mind.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I am so cautious with idle time! I know it's tempting for the a/c but personally, I can't think of many things worse for the 5.7. If I absolutely must idle for extended periods hood is up but then I really don't have the need unless doing coolant maintenance and then the hood would be up anyhow.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Would make sense that the viscosity is a little lower when using the lubegard as that stuff is the equivalent of 5w20. Something to keep in mind.
There is no lubegard yet, he said he put that in his next run. With pup 0w40 we always see 30 weight after 5k miles even less, we just expect it at this point. Even though PUP starts higher then many of the 0w40's, they use GtL and much vii's and it shows up in viscosity. You can get away with that in a pavement princess, but when you tow it is gonna show up, especially in wear.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no lubegard yet, he said he put that in his next run. With pup 0w40 we always see 30 weight after 5k miles even less, we just expect it at this point. Even though PUP starts higher then many of the 0w40's, they use GtL and much vii's and it shows up in viscosity. You can get away with that in a pavement princess, but when you tow it is gonna show up, especially in wear.
Yep, I have lubeguard added right now, but not before. So my last blackstone report was straight PUP 0W40...my next one when I change oil will have the lubeguard in it. I just changed my wife's durango today that had PUP 5W-20 and lubeguard in it...curious to see how the results are from blackstone. I put redline 5W-20 in her durango this fill.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil was in for just shy of 5K using lubegard, Wix 57060XP filter, PUP 5w20.

Main reason for the report was to see if I needed to start getting cam swap parts ready, looks like I can wait a while longer!

16 RAM 1500-220624-1.jpg

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Main reason for the report was to see if I needed to start getting cam swap parts ready, looks like I can wait a while longer!

View attachment 501767
Nice. I just shipped off my oil sample with the same oil and lubeguard on my wife's durango. It had just shy of 6000 miles on it. Will be interesting to compare these 2.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

View attachment 501767
Literally a perfect hemi report, not much to add. PUP kills it again. People wonder why I like PUP, there ya go. Some small thing called science, I have not seen this low wear for a while. Yes you can go somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k on that combo.

So if interval means anything to you then always run the same combo you are planning on, if you change, you need to go back and reset the interval with a uoa. Read the oil filter thread page 93. On a 2016 at some point you should consider 5w30, but with such low miles on truck if you like 5w20 you can stay there for a long time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To think this is a hemi tick engine, lubrication strategies work. But for the record the tick did come back towards the end yes? So also goes to show you, if you can get a decent interval but the tick comes back, change the oil out and your uoa will look like that? perfect...

That what happens when you stay on top of it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To think this is a hemi tick engine, lubrication strategies work. But for the record the tick did come back towards the end yes? So also goes to show you, if you can get a decent interval but the tick comes back, change the oil out and your uoa will look like that? perfect...

That what happens when you stay on top of it.
Yeah it was starting to have a slight tick on the drivers side. Didn't seem to harm the motor at all tho....

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My latest UOA of Amsoil SS 0w40. Looks really good since there's 2 camping trips over the summer.

View attachment 501894

Wow! What a report - low wear and stay-in-grade viscosity over 5,000 miles = outstanding. Would be nice to compare against a VOA of the same batch to see any vis shear, but the fact it is well within SAE 40 @ 100C is superb. Makes me wonder if Amsoil isn't using super VII star polymer? Also suprised at the moly additive, as I haven't been keeping track - 207ppm moly is just right!

Would also be interesting to see the TBN, understand why you didn't want to cough up another $10 just for that.

I'll have to compare the CCS dynamic vis of Amsoil to Red Line 0W-30 before I'd consider switching, since we get super cold weather up here.

Other than that, the only other advantage to Red Line is metal adhesion, which I'd sacrifice if Amsoil was meaningfully cheaper than Red Line.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow! What a report - low wear and stay-in-grade viscosity over 5,000 miles = outstanding. Would be nice to compare against a VOA of the same batch to see any vis shear, but the fact it is well within SAE 40 @ 100C is superb. Makes me wonder if Amsoil isn't using super VII star polymer? Also suprised at the moly additive, as I haven't been keeping track - 207ppm moly is just right!

Would also be interesting to see the TBN, understand why you didn't want to cough up another $10 just for that.

I'll have to compare the CCS dynamic vis of Amsoil to Red Line 0W-30 before I'd consider switching, since we get super cold weather up here.

Other than that, the only other advantage to Red Line is metal adhesion, which I'd sacrifice if Amsoil was meaningfully cheaper than Red Line.

Thanks for sharing with us!
I still have 1/2 a qt of it, I could send it in for a VOA

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont see the need to pay for a report on oil. Not sure why some are concerned about the oil they put in their vehicles. Use the major brands and all should be fine.
To each their own i guess but just seems like a waste of money.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I dont see the need to pay for a report on oil. Not sure why some are concerned about the oil they put in their vehicles. Use the major brands and all should be fine.
To each their own i guess but just seems like a waste of money.

Some of us are trying to prevent creating an $8000 paper weight, and part of me does it "just for kicks". I love knowing this kind of thing, some of us are just geeks, ok?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
New Guy

200.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads