Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pfft, new guy. Maybe new to here,....also belong to other car forums and not new to driving and owning cars. Probably longer than you been alive :laughing1:

Never had a engine malfunction from improper maintenance.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did I say I didn't like memes lol.

Look I'm not trying to start a argument. Ive actually never heard of anyone getting an oil analysis til I saw this thread and just thought it was a strange thing to do.

It's like not trusting oil companies which have free videos on YouTube analyzing their oil if you must have concerns.

Just saying

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Look I'm not trying to start a argument. Ive actually never heard of anyone getting an oil analysis til I saw this thread and just thought it was a strange thing to do.

It's like not trusting oil companies which have free videos on YouTube analyzing their oil if you must have concerns.

Just saying
Yeah but that doesn't tell you how your motor is doing which is why we do UOAs

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Pfft, new guy. Maybe new to here,....also belong to other car forums and not new to driving and owning cars. Probably longer than you been alive :laughing1:

Never had a engine malfunction from improper maintenance.

So why be here only to throw shade on guys that know unique design flaws in Hemi engines?

If you know it all already, do us all a favor and leave.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I still have 1/2 a qt of it, I could send it in for a VOA

It would be great if you can afford another $30. Otherwise I can send you $30.

It will tell us relative shear down via the new vis. I did so with Red Line 5W-30. There was zero change in viscosity, which is great for a 5W-30, but would be astounding for a 0W-40.

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@smiley would you please make this thread a sticky? I think most would agree it's worthy, given the buzz around Hemis and their oil. Thanks!

I don't use Blackstone, but the info is the same. There are three samples on this. First is factory mystery fill and the other two are Amsoil 0w-40 SS from my '16 2500/6.4 CCSB.

View attachment 120250
Very interesting
I just got the oil analysis kit from amzoil,
For my 2022 power wagon.
I just got back from 2 week overland vacation through the rocky mountains, towing a small 3000 pound offroad trailer.
I'm about to do the oil analysis kit this afternoon, I just changed the oil 2 months ago yet since then, on this long vacation We drove about 3700 miles. So it's time for another oil change, Next week.
The reason I'm gonna use the oil analysis kit now, is to see if the amzoil 0W40 is holding up to 232 Fahrenheit temperatures, with Prolonged towing On steep Grades in the mountains.
This trip the truck got a little of everything wheeling, Rock Crawling, Long idle times And Towing on some very steep grades.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just saying
Maybe actually read some of the pages to see how beneficial it can be before bombarding a very informative/helpful thread.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So why be here only to throw shade on guys that know unique design flaws in Hemi engines?

If you know it all already, do us all a favor and leave.
So you think the "hemi design flaw" has anything to do with the oil? And is it really a design flaw? Never had a problem with the 3 I've had/have.

Ok, leaving.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

It will tell us relative shear down via the new vis. I did so with Red Line 5W-30. There was zero change in viscosity, which is great for a 5W-30, but would be astounding for a 0W-40.
I'm gonna send it out, I'm very curious as well:)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you think the "hemi design flaw" has anything to do with the oil? And is it really a design flaw? Never had a problem with the 3 I've had/have.

Ok, leaving.
yes it does, this is more of a post a uoa thread then a discussion thread, if you would like to discuss it lets move to syn thread. How could a simple brand change effect hemi's in the way ram forum has proven over ten years, all public votes, widespread testing across 100's of rams? A big part of the answer is in that uoa.

kmyvgod-jpg.jpg

imcvwvj-jpg.449440

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine

Just saying
I hadn't heard of oil analysis until about 15 years ago, the first time I bought a crate engine. I had milky substance on dipstick with oil. It was baffling me. I happened to see on the back of a Pennzoil bottle a phone number and called, and they told me where to send for analysis. It came back with one of possibilities was "Faulty PCV System". I felt so stupid. The routing of the PCV hose had it kinked behind the air cleaner!!! The most simple fix and thankfully no damage done to new engine. It was a Mopar Performance crate Magnum 360. I was young and kind of dumb, and still learning lol.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Got the sample ready to send out tomorrow morning:cool:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, here it is. Been waiting all year to see how the Schaeffers 9000 Extreme 5w20 did and uh, don’t know ‘bout y’all but I’m pretty impressed with this oil. Moly’s pretty damn high and even though my driving style hasn’t really changed, I like how the iron content dropped dramatically even from the Amsoil SS of all oils. Copper content even came down quite a bit. They even said my filtration as excellent so I don’t know if that means my oil filter did good or my air filter did good or, if both in general.

I guess I’ll just have to wait until next year when it comes time to do another oil change to see how the Mobil 1 EP 5w20 and the RP 10-48 oil filter compares but uh, honestly? I’m liking the Schaeffers pretty good.

Oh and just to refresh everyone’s memory, the next analysis to the right on that page was the results of the Amsoil SS 5w20 and their EA1250 or whatever it was, 15,000-mile filter. I used a Wix XP with this Schaefer’s and a Wix XP also with the 5w20 PUP on the two furthest to the right analysis reports to the right of the Amsoil one.

Y’all’s thoughts?

Attachments

• 2BD0AF68-51C3-4956-B4E9-11B39E14E987.jpeg
    2BD0AF68-51C3-4956-B4E9-11B39E14E987.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 27

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If driving habits were the same, your truck didnt like the last oil change, but loved this one. Iron went up last time now went down by a lot. Still a young engine, but headed the right way. Despite shaeffers being a low tbn, looks as good as last oil, so shaeffers tbn holds well.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If driving habits were the same, your truck didnt like the last oil change, but loved this one. Iron went up last time now went down by a lot. Still a young engine, but headed the right way. Despite shaeffers being a low tbn, looks as good as last oil, so shaeffers tbn holds well.
Yeah, pretty much unchanged except for about 400 more miles last time. Just primarily to and from work about 3 miles round trip with regular remote starting each way. Sometimes she may sit at work for a week and sometimes I’ll get to drive it home at the end of the day.

There’s been quite a few two-hour round trips here and there with a few longer road trips than that but just primarily to and from work.

I just can’t believe wear metals was so high on that expensive Amsoil. Even higher than on the PUP.

But yeah, I saw that the TBN was the same as the Amsoil but Blackstone recommended a 7500 mile interval next time. I guess inwould if I could but hear lately, this amount of miles is it…lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Young engine stuff, nothing can be made about it, but PUP is the lowest wear oil we have seen. So is amsoil though, another oil known for low wear, but with these hemi's you just see things you dont see in other engines.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Just got a Blackstone kit the other day ! SO next oil change I'll send a sample in
So a dumb question,
Besides showing contaminants and metal in ppm do they explain what they find and what may cause it ?

Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just got a Blackstone kit the other day ! SO next oil change I'll send a sample in
So a dumb question,
Besides showing contaminants and metal in ppm do they explain what they find and what may cause it ?

Thanks
yes read each report, there is a summary. Not a dumb question at all. Add tbn for extra 10 bucks if you want to extend interval or see how your interval is treating you.

see report of the month at blackstone for real good information. see their newsletters.