Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last years oil winter wear was 36, then PUP was 20 iron this winter? A simple oil change bought you less iron x16, I call that a win.
Agreed. I was only looking at the last change, but winter to winter is the better way to look at it as you suggest.

36 last winter vs. 20 this winter (Castrol and PUP, respectively). I do call that a win - now that you pointed that out!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Here is my oil monitors UOA report for the wife's 21 Toyota Highlander as promised, I was very surprised how fast they got it tested being they only received the sample yesterday, the oil used was Mobil One 0w20, assume Toyota oil filter, 9174 miles on the oil and was very surprised to see Molly still at 639, TBN was 2.39, now to find out why it has high fuel in oil with only 23769 mile on the engine that see's 1- 3 minutes of warm up on cold day before a 23 mile one way drive to work 4-5 days a week :favorites68: :favorites68: :favorites68: ... Will have to scan in a lower resolution copy to post :( got scan down to 3.32 meg but its still to big to post

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Here is my oil monitors UOA report for the wife's 21 Toyota Highlander as promised, I was very surprised how fast they got it tested being they only received the sample yesterday, the oil used was Mobil One 0w20, assume Toyota oil filter, 9174 miles on the oil and was very surprised to see Molly still at 639, TBN was 2.39, now to find out why it has high fuel in oil with only 23769 mile on the engine that see's 1- 3 minutes of warm up on cold day before a 23 mile one way drive to work 4-5 days a week :favorites68: :favorites68: :favorites68: ... Will have to scan in a lower resolution copy to post :( got scan down to 3.32 meg but its still to big to post

It's direct injection, yes?

There's your answer. Fuel and soot dilution during rich burn combustion mode - direct injection isnt good at this. Insufficient time for fuel to completely vaporize at low injection pressure required to keep from blowing up and wrecking injection pumps (gasoline has no lubricity).

It's a $hitty design. It needs a 2nd, indirect injector in the intake runner dedicated to rich burn only. But that costs money, so instead they make $hitty single injector GSI engines.

Oil needs to be changed no later than 5,000 miles of you don't want your engine worn out quickly. All the gasoline and soot in the oil will do a number on the boundary lubricated parts - cylinder walls, cam lobes, etc.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
blackstome has a hosting uoa service for free, you can post here straight from there with no personal info on it.

services my reports

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
It's direct injection, yes?

There's your answer. Fuel and soot dilution during rich burn combustion mode - direct injection isnt good at this. Insufficient time for fuel to completely vaporize at low injection pressure required to keep from blowing up and wrecking injection pumps (gasoline has no lubricity).

It's a $hitty design. It needs a 2nd, indirect injector in the intake runner dedicated to rich burn only. But that costs money, so instead they make $hitty single injector GSI engines.

Oil needs to be changed no later than 5,000 miles of you don't want your engine worn out quickly. All the gasoline and soot in the oil will do a number on the boundary lubricated parts - cylinder walls, cam lobes, etc.
I'll get the UOA posted as soon as my kid gets time at work, she has access to Adobe program to erase personal info in the PDF, I had no idea the 2.5L was direct injection did not pay attention, had been told how great those engines were lol, as for the OCI its 10K or 12 months its the interval Toyota recommends, now I know better but will be having a talk with Toyota real soon, I will also have to have my kid test her Rav 4 oil grrrr as it too has 10K/12 month OCI.. Oh as for Soot its listed at <.1

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
blackstome has a hosting uoa service for free, you can post here straight from there with no personal info on it.

services my reports
Did not use Blackstone Labs went to Cummins Oil Monitor lab it cost less and TBN is included at no extra cost

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'll get the UOA posted as soon as my kid gets time at work, she has access to Adobe program to erase personal info in the PDF, I had no idea the 2.5L was direct injection did not pay attention, had been told how great those engines were lol, as for the OCI its 10K or 12 months its the interval Toyota recommends, now I know better but will be having a talk with Toyota real soon, I will also have to have my kid test her Rav 4 oil grrrr as it too has 10K/12 month OCI.. Oh as for Soot its listed at <.1

Not sure it is GDI, many 2010+ small engines are.

You should look in your owner manual specs or google. Be sure to get right model year.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's direct injection. And Atkinson cycle, to boot! Another 0.25 mpg for the added complexity.

Screenshot_20230302-182243_Chrome.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Fuel dilution likely why viscosity is so low, tbn is whack as well. I'd chop that oci in half straight up, and find out why that engine isnt burning hot enough with that extra air.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oh it's not a turbo, and it is a dual di/pi? Toyota is still a great vehicle and their standard engines are gonna be durable. I have no idea about this engine, sounds complicated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Man that angine is a trip, when under load it sprays direct into cylinder, ok that is direct injection, but on top of that you have a valve opening to the port injection. Man, that is quite busy, I'd run a fuel cleaner all the time. Is that the engine in that highlander?

Yep.

I remember Atkinson Cycle from school, we all thought "are they fuching nuts?!"

It's one thing to run a science fair demo, another to produce en masse reliability for profit.

Miller Cycle, adiabatic engines, yadda yadda.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Why is the moly so high? Did you add lubegard? Add pack doesnt look like mobil 1

I too was shocked to see high Molly and no I did not add Molly to the oil, the Dealer has done all of the oil changes for Toyota 2 year's of free maintenance an oil changes, I was told it was Mobil One 0w20 so I will ask them again about what oil was used when I go ask them a 1,000 questions about fuel in oil...

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I too was shocked to see high Molly and no I did not add Molly to the oil, the Dealer has done all of the oil changes for Toyota 2 year's of free maintenance an oil changes, I was told it was Mobil One 0w20 so I will ask them again about what oil was used when I go ask them a 1,000 questions about fuel in oil...
Its TGMO not mobil 1 thats for sure. My guess is you asked for mobil 1 and they know TGMO is made by mobil so they think its mobil 1 in a toyota bottle. TGMO has tons of moly

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Its TGMO not mobil 1 thats for sure. My guess is you asked for mobil 1 and they know TGMO is made by mobil so they think its mobil 1 in a toyota bottle. TGMO has tons of moly
On the free Toyota oil changes we do not get to request what oil is to be used nor did I request M1 to be used, thanks for the info that its Toyota oil not M1 like I was told, I do not like to be lied too so will address that issue along with a few others when I get to the dealership...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, molybdenum is an lspi quencher, and that level might be beneficial to that engine if it is what hemimann says.

Good call on travis, I was wondering for sure, but that makes total sense. But to be honest I wonder if those suckers didnt use 0w16 as toyota is using that stuff. If so that would explain the viscosity. You do see aluminum a bit high, I might be inclinded to play with oil choice and viscosity and see what it is on 20 weight or even sp 0w30.

After seeing that toyota aint ever change my rav 4's oil.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO, the extended oil changes and lower viscosities are from pressures from the EPA to consume less oil and gas. The UOAs don't back long OCIs up, but, it makes the EPA happy, and the manufacturers also, as you will most likely trade earlier because of engine wear oil consumption, need a new engine from them, or make you feel like you and the manufacturer are saving the planet with longer oil changes.

Yes, I'm jaded. I don't believe anything any of them say.