Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Glad to help us all out!

I'm going to keep my first OCI at 5,000 miles so it's inline with my previous ones using RL HP 5W30.

This way we can see a true UOA comparison between the two titan super oils..lol.

If it comes back favorable, I may push it to 6,000 mile OCI's as a maximum.

I was impressed with this VOA of HPL SC 0W30!
Just to also leave it hear, we know from the last decade the only true way to judge a HP oil is longer term uoa's. We have plenty of long term uoa's on the redline, we know wear trends down with heavy use. Nobody has this info on 0w30 super car HPL as of yet. Compare the third run versus the first run you will get an accurate reading of this oil.

As long as you used the oil all 3 times you could even skip the second uoa, lol.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's here! I sent a sample of my most recent oil change, just 584 miles after the change, and planning on doing another 5000 - 6000 miles later, so I'd have 2 to compare.
This is the 1st time I have ever done a UOA on any vehicle so I'm curious to hear what some of you think.
Note: My dealer has been doing my oil changes, and they have not been specific about the oil they are using. One guy says Pennzoil full synthetic, another guy says Mopar oil. They use the Mopar oil filter as well.
I do have a 15oz bottle of Biotech/Lubeguard on hand (on hand = not yet added to the oil, not for the test and not today) to add if anyone thinks it will improve any of the numbers...

Help? :oops:

Screenshot 2023-11-27 142222.pngScreenshot 2023-11-27 142249.png

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, that oil is not what we would call impressive, what is it? 20 weight something is it in a 2014? Some of that wear can be from last oil change, which is why if you asked I would have said at least do a flush before this run. TBN is way too low for a 500 mile oil with biotech. Sparce additive package and heavy wear so far. Verify oil and mileage on truck and year please... The alum suggests some type of issue with pistons, shouldnt read 4 with 500 miles, especially if this was 500 summer miles. Only boron level is good flashpoint as well, moly decent because of biotech.

I wouldnt want that oil in my truck.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, that oil is not what we would call impressive, what is it? 20 weight something is it in a 2014? Some of that wear can be from last oil change, which is why if you asked I would have said at least do a flush before this run. TBN is way too low for a 500 mile oil with biotech. Sparce additive package and heavy wear so far. Verify oil and mileage on truck and year please...

According to the service writer it is Pennzoil full synthetic, 5w-20.
When I asked for details (which Pennzoil synthetic) I just got a dumb look and no other info. It comes in by truckload.
He gave me a part number. I checked with the guy at the parts counter, he says it's Mopar oil, 5w-20. No better info. All I got, and I'm not impressed.

The specifics are: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 5.7L. I bought it used in 2017 with 30k miles. Been using the same dealer for all maintenance and repairs ever since.

The Odometer reading and miles driven since last oil change are accurate as shown in the report. The Lubeguard I have has NOT been added, it's what I have on hand if needed.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If there is anything alarming about this report I can do another oil change fairly quickly. I admit that after reading through the synth oil thread I'm not sure which way to go. Other than the 15oz of lubeguard I have waiting, there is nothing else at home, so I would be buying whatever I needed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you have no tick, let it ride, mise well, only way to judge wear, now that we have a baseline, we will learn something about your truck. So next time if I were you, I would get 5w30 or 0w30 at a minimum. If the dealer doesnt want to do it, you can go to oilstop and get m1 0w30 a great oil. You dont dyi on oil changes? My vote let it ride lets see where wear ends up. Now knowing that doesnt have biotech in the sump, the oil doesnt look as bad, I must have misread it. I would still make a change on an aging truck that is possibly wearing heavy, which we will know when you get your next uoa.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you have no tick, let it ride, mise well, only way to judge wear, now that we have a baseline, we will learn something about your truck. So next time if I were you, I would get 5w30 or 0w30 at a minimum. If the dealer doesnt want to do it, you can go to oilstop and get m1 0w30 a great oil. You dont dyi on oil changes? My vote let it ride lets see where wear ends up. Now knowing that doesnt have biotech in the sump, the oil doesnt look as bad, I must have misread it. I would still make a change on an aging truck that is possibly wearing heavy, which we will know when you get your next uoa.

Thanks Burla. The engine has no tick and never has, cold or warm. 20 years ago I did my own changes and I might still do them except for that oil filter location. Pretty sure I'd end up wearing the spill in my hair!

I've been looking around town for shop that would change the oil using whatever I brought in. I don't anticipate a problem with this.

So that's what I'm looking at going forward. Buying the best oil and filter for my engine, pulling a grocery-getter around south central Pennsylvania.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
20 years ago I did my own changes and I might still do them except for that oil filter location. Pretty sure I'd end up wearing the spill in my hair!

A bunch of us are running this. I wish I would have done this right from the start instead of suffering with the poor access. I actually look forward to changing my oil now lol.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
According to the service writer it is Pennzoil full synthetic, 5w-20.
When I asked for details (which Pennzoil synthetic) I just got a dumb look and no other info. It comes in by truckload.
He gave me a part number. I checked with the guy at the parts counter, he says it's Mopar oil, 5w-20. No better info. All I got, and I'm not impressed.

The specifics are: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 5.7L. I bought it used in 2017 with 30k miles. Been using the same dealer for all maintenance and repairs ever since.

The Odometer reading and miles driven since last oil change are accurate as shown in the report. The Lubeguard I have has NOT been added, it's what I have on hand if needed.
This is what I really hate about dealer quick service oil changes, the oil they use is bulk oil, the oil is of any brand the dealership contracts from a local distributor, all you can be really sure of is that the oil your getting is of the current API rating unless you are paying extra for certain brand of oil...

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Latest UOA at 75K miles. Last 5K truck earned it's keep towing and truck camper usage 80% of the time on the road. With the truck camper while towing the boat I'm right at the payload limit. I'm wondering if I should switch to a high mileage oil in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_5421.jpg
    IMG_5421.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 36

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Interesting report and blackstone guessed right, nothing wrong at all just heavier use. Iron and Alum is what you usually see in these load increases, copper rise is negligible. The biggest tell was the viscosity, it sheared down further then last two runs with same oil 0w40 pup?

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Interesting report and blackstone guessed right, nothing wrong at all just heavier use. Iron and Alum is what you usually see in these load increases, copper rise is negligible. The biggest tell was the viscosity, it sheared down further then last two runs with same oil 0w40 pup?
Yes still PUP 0W40 with 16 ounces of LubeGard. So was the sample at 70K. The initial sample at 65K was straight PUP 0W40. With the exception of a couple of early changes at the FCA Engineering Center which were PP (which was factory fill when new) all were PUP at 5K OCI's. I have 2 more changes of PUP & LubeGard in my stash. I might go to a high mileage at 85K. No PUP High Mileage is available just PP. May switch to Castrol Edge HM. I plan on keeping this truck until it croaks on me. Thoughts?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah for some reason pup 0w40 isnt big on boron but I believe castrol is like other big oil and that are currently upping boron levels. I'd try it and post up the uoa and we can see if it was a good choice or not. I'd be looking at 0w40 with boron and good moly and something that doesnt shear as much, we know PUP 0w40 is a high shear oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Oil is built well across the board and as you see wear is trending down. Thanks for posting it.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Yeah for some reason pup 0w40 isnt big on boron but I believe castrol is like other big oil and that are currently upping boron levels. I'd try it and post up the uoa and we can see if it was a good choice or not. I'd be looking at 0w40 with boron and good moly and something that doesnt shear as much, we know PUP 0w40 is a high shear oil.
Next time I have such a high duty cycle I'll reduce the OCI. I think this would be prudent based on the UOA assuming I'm on the same oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Latest UOA at 75K miles. Last 5K truck earned it's keep towing and truck camper usage 80% of the time on the road. With the truck camper while towing the boat I'm right at the payload limit. I'm wondering if I should switch to a high mileage oil in the future.
Gonna get expensive, but it might work out in long run. It surely wouldnt hurt. 3k mile interval when towing? Sounds good to me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you wanted to try a different shelf oil for a run just to check, maybe fs0w40 famously high pao. What I like most about this, lol at m1 says this oil is great for diesels without particulate filters. Gotta love that 1. You can see why it is bitog's favorite shelf 0w40.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a sample jar just sitting around so I thought I would try something...
I poured some PUP 5w-20 into it, dated 07/2017 and mailed it off
today as a VOA.
Anybody want to guess what 6 1/2 year old PUP looks like?
My garage is neither heated nor cooled, might as well have stored it on the screen porch!
I guess I'll see results in January.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a sample jar just sitting around so I thought I would try something...
I poured some PUP 5w-20 into it, dated 07/2017 and mailed it off
today as a VOA.
Anybody want to guess what 6 1/2 year old PUP looks like?
My garage is neither heated nor cooled, might as well have stored it on the screen porch!
I guess I'll see results in January.

It should be fairly stable, no? Didn't think oil expired over time especially if its still sealed.