Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was our Gatlinburg trip in January. Home is lower coastal South Carolina. We get snow once or twice a decade it seems.
That would be the limit on snow, 1-3" a year. Not snow 4-8" and -1 degrees, geez, am I back in the North East??? lol

SINCE there are no snowplows here, they had to use a TXDOT truck in front, a Road Grader to Plow and a TXDOT truck in back, lmao.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That would be the limit on snow, 1-3" a year. Not snow 4-8" and -1 degrees, geez, am I back in the North East??? lol

SINCE there are no snowplows here, they had to use a TXDOT truck in front, a Road Grader to Plow and a TXDOT truck in back, lmao.
We had our mildest winter in years up in michigan only 156 inches lol

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They must be well off! I can’t afford anything on that side of the tracks. All the rich Northerners that have moved to SC in recent years have pushed property values thru the roof.

If anything I would love to get much further inland and avoid dealing with hurricane season every year. I’m thinking Oklahoma might be a nice quiet place to retire to.
Tornado alley

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks for sharing.

Not sure what these really tell us without a HTHS and NOACK compare. I wish Blackstone published a new spec (typical) column along with for comparison.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Perfect, but as low as aluminum is I still might consider moving to 5w30, especially when towing. Your wear is going down and looks great, but aluminum is trending up.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perfect, but as low as aluminum is I still might consider moving to 5w30, especially when towing. Your wear is going down and looks great, but aluminum is trending up.

If that was for me, it already is 5W-30 PUP with RP filter.

The only other difference I can think of outside the towing is the outside air temp and idle time for the last interval, now that it's stupid hot outside I find myself idling more than before for work (I work outside and when it's nicer out I can do my typing in the shade instead of in the truck).

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If that was for me, it already is 5W-30 PUP with RP filter.

The only other difference I can think of outside the towing is the outside air temp and idle time for the last interval, now that it's stupid hot outside I find myself idling more than before for work (I work outside and when it's nicer out I can do my typing in the shade instead of in the truck).
I never idle no matter the conditions. -17 my girlfriend freezes in the truck while i run i to the store to grab a few jugs of oil or whatever it may be

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I never idle no matter the conditions. -17 my girlfriend freezes in the truck while i run i to the store to grab a few jugs of oil or whatever it may be

Freezes? Da You Pee isn't cold....come on over here for a winter. I'll show you cold. Mohave heat, too. We got both kinds of weather here.

It's the heat that's tough not to idle in when it's 100 degrees out in the blazing sun and you gotta be out for whatever reason.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Freezes? Da You Pee isn't cold....come on over here for a winter. I'll show you cold. Mohave heat, too. We got both kinds of weather here.

It's the heat that's tough not to idle in when it's 100 degrees out in the blazing sun and you gotta be out for whatever reason.
Ya yous guys over there are canada basically lol

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Latest report for my 2019 1500 Classic 5.7l.

First report is factory fill, second and third have been Red Line 5w30.

Engine has been smooth and quiet. The only tick I've ever had is when the truck sits for a month while I'm away on my work rotation, will get one for ~2sec on that first startup after sitting, but never on any shorter shut off interval.
A11E4641-6A53-4C8D-9539-A7AC9F5A287F.jpeg

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Latest report for my 2019 1500 Classic 5.7l.

First report is factory fill, second and third have been Red Line 5w30.

Engine has been smooth and quiet. The only tick I've ever had is when the truck sits for a month while I'm away on my work rotation, will get one for ~2sec on that first startup after sitting, but never on any shorter shut off interval.
View attachment 466505
Wear is trending down thats what you wanna see. Looks great so far id expect copper to drop on next few changes

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even on front page of this thread you see your numbers are lower or in line with those hemi's, mine one of them. It is just too young to judge at this point, and highlights hemis are high wear engines.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even on front page of this thread you see your numbers are lower or in line with those hemi's, mine one of them. It is just too young to judge at this point, and highlights hemis are high wear engines.
Yep, still a very young engine, still interesting to see its "break-in", and more data points isn't a bad thing.

This is my first new vehicle, so it's been fun/interesting being able to track everything with the truck from the very beginning; not having any period/mileage of unknown history/treatment.

Bigpaul13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got back my uoa that I did with RL 0w30. The uoa from December 2020 is Rl 5w30 and these were done back to back. Same mileage and both with RP filter. Ran the 0w30 well into summer as I didn't want to dump it after 3000 miles.

I note to blackstone that this oil had more idle time than the last sample but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I remote start alot in winter. Also sit for work time to time. Going to track engine hours going forward but I was happy with this uoa. 2017 ram with the 5.7. Don't tow and barely haul but I drive it like I stole it. 2021-08-10_061471.jpg