Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
122,000 miles on the odo. Just want to have it checked and do it again a little later. Got a tick but have a couple exhaust manifold bolts broken. Have a set of jba headers waiting to put on when i get some free time. Just figured after reading all the posts on here that redline would be a good choice to use. My 03 hemi that i sold had 218,000 miles and ran great and all i ever used was Pennzoil platinum synthetic and mopar filters

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
122,000 miles on the odo. Just want to have it checked and do it again a little later. Got a tick but have a couple exhaust manifold bolts broken. Have a set of jba headers waiting to put on when i get some free time. Just figured after reading all the posts on here that redline would be a good choice to use. My 03 hemi that i sold had 218,000 miles and ran great and all i ever used was Pennzoil platinum synthetic and mopar filters
Mopar filters are irredeemable, except possibly their srt filters which are hit and miss with their media. Read the oil filter thread, good read. You can just read page 1 and page 93, two different tests with the same conclusion on top filters.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my results from Blackstone, should the higher iron be a concern? Just bought the 2013 a couple months ago. carlot had serviced but i had no idea with whatoil so i changed oil to Pennzoil platinum synthetic 5/20 with a mopar oil filter. Ran it for approximately 4400 miles and sent the oil sample off to Blackstone

Attachments

• BA4FFD76-9FCC-46AF-AEEB-55478D8542FC.jpeg
    BA4FFD76-9FCC-46AF-AEEB-55478D8542FC.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got my results from Blackstone, should the higher iron be a concern?
not really

Now, you have 127k miles and you are running 5w20, you might consider a stout 5w30, maybe a HM 5w30. Your iron is just a tad high, for a hemi we have seen much worse, like mine. It is a "fair" report, but at the same time why not mess around a little and see if you can get the iron down a bit, maybe it works maybe not.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not really

Now, you have 127k miles and you are running 5w20, you might consider a stout 5w30, maybe a HM 5w30. Your iron is just a tad high, for a hemi we have seen much worse, like mine. It is a "fair" report, but at the same time why not mess around a little and see if you can get the iron down a bit, maybe it works maybe not.
Yeah I changed to redline 5/30 with fram syn filter to see how things go

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The first uoa on redline is a throwaway, we arent exactly sure why, some thought it is leaching ions some think it is the heavy aw additives that both create wear and discourage it. Usually the second uoa on redline 5w30 will be a good gauge if you can lower that iron with this strategy. Was there a reason you opted for redline 5w30? I'm not saying dont get a uoa first run, I'm just saying the most beneficial info will likely come from the second or more runs other then run number 1.

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first uoa on redline is a throwaway, we arent exactly sure why, some thought it is leaching ions some think it is the heavy aw additives that both create wear and discourage it. Usually the second uoa on redline 5w30 will be a good gauge if you can lower that iron with this strategy. Was there a reason you opted for redline 5w30? I'm not saying dont get a uoa first run, I'm just saying the most beneficial info will likely come from the second or more runs other then run number 1.
I opt for redline as it seemed to be the go to oil on the forum, is there a better oil option for my situation?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I opt for redline as it seemed to be the go to oil on the forum, is there a better oil option for my situation?
situation meaning iron level? I asked the question because two main groups seam to go the redline route, guys who pick up hemi tick and/or new ram owners who are pampering their truck. It is just rare to see someone with high mileage make the move unless there was a reason, my guess is you didnt know that iron level til after the redline was already in? I wasnt judging, just a little curious. Did you have any hemi tick, even on start up? I'm not going to say there is a better hemi oil then the one you chose, it is built to address weaknesses in the hemi as far as lubrication goes. Lets see how it goes, there is a good possibility the iron will go down, looking forward to it. In a hemi that is in perfect running order and is in high mileage, I might consider running PUP 5w30 or Pennzoil HM PP, but the very fact your iron is a tad high, it might be the case redline 5w30 is the perfect choice. keep us updated

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
situation meaning iron level? I asked the question because two main groups seam to go the redline route, guys who pick up hemi tick and/or new ram owners who are pampering their truck. It is just rare to see someone with high mileage make the move unless there was a reason, my guess is you didnt know that iron level til after the redline was already in? I wasnt judging, just a little curious. Did you have any hemi tick, even on start up? I'm not going to say there is a better hemi oil then the one you chose, it is built to address weaknesses in the hemi as far as lubrication goes. Lets see how it goes, there is a good possibility the iron will go down, looking forward to it. In a hemi that is in perfect running order and is in high mileage, I might consider running PUP 5w30 or Pennzoil HM PP, but the very fact your iron is a tad high, it might be the case redline 5w30 is the perfect choice. keep us updated
No hemi tick. I had 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts 2 on passenger and 2 on drivers side. Fixed that yesterday and installed Jba shorty headers while i was doing the fix. Thanks and I will keep you updated

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

You shouldn't have changed anything, until you get 2-3 even 4 reports. One report isn't going tell you anything, unless numbers were very high.
All of yours are within averages. With everything else normal, and iron just tad bit high.
It could have been cause Truck was sitting for while before you got it, Or if you were towing with it, as examples.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Depends on how concerned or interested you are in all this. I do it at the end of every oil change but there is no rule about frequency. I suspect it's pretty useless to do more than 2 per oil change (one at the end, one in the middle) unless you're really paranoid or really interested. One at the end is normal/great, and if you pay extra they tell you how much "life" there is in the oil as well (though I never listen to that and always try to change no later than 8K miles)

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You shouldn't have changed anything, until you get 2-3 even 4 reports. One report isn't going tell you anything, unless numbers were very high.
All of yours are within averages. With everything else normal, and iron just tad bit high.
It could have been cause Truck was sitting for while before you got it, Or if you were towing with it, as examples.
Actually changed to redline and then sent off my oil sample to Blackstone. I figured redline might be a better quality oil but now thinking pennzoil platinum high mileage full synthetic might be a better choice?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For those interested what is specifically in just Lubegard Biotech. I sent in a virgi n sample as they wanted to see exactly what was in it.
Thanks for doing that, even better then it was with the old uoa, so real good info.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Are you guys typically doing this every oil change? Or every few?
once is real helpful, especially if you add tbn and set an interval. After that, I do it once in a while. I havent done it in years, I do feel like doing another when it suits me for my purposes.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Actually changed to redline and then sent off my oil sample to Blackstone. I figured redline might be a better quality oil but now thinking pennzoil platinum high mileage full synthetic might be a better choice?

My comment wasn't about which oil you should use. way too many 'experts' here. I'll leave that for them.

I'm just saying if you aren't having any issues, nothing in your report was high. You shouldn't change anything, after just one report.