Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamMan381

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This report also contains enough history to show how the blender changed the ratio of Calcium to Magnesium over the short timespan going to API SN to API SN+ / SP ........reducing Ca and increasing Mg to reduce occurence of LSPI in small, GDI turbocharged engines.
Good catch
That oil is serving that hemi well, pretty low numbers considering the interval. A perfect uoa to show how an engine ages, thanks for posting.
No problem. I plan on doing this every oil change “once a year basically” for peace of mind and for warranty purposes if the need arises.

I plan on owning it for a long time, it will be interesting to see what the reports show over the course of its life.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is exactly what that is. Looks good though, and generally speaking piston wear is less harmful. Could be a situation happening with thicker starting viscosity. I might be inclined to have a run of m1 5w30 for a run if you want to test that and keep those other low values. It is just kinda hard to judge as you are just leaving the high wear from young engine stuff. I'd say what ever happens in the next 30k is very judgeable or judge worthy.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Got my latest UOA. Previous runs were all various Redline 0/5w-20/30.

What's aluminum, would that be pistons?

View attachment 503665

Yes. Also sometimes in journal bearing layers, but usually it's piston skirts. Your levels are miniscule.

But what a report - is this the "FS" Mobil 1 0W-40 people have spoken of? I'd wager the API Classification is still SN owing to the wide viscosity range, high calcium, and low magnesium.

I'd also wager the VII additive sheardown is marginal with an ending vis of 66.3 cSt @ 100 deg C (we don't know what the fresh oil viscosity was, likely something high as 66.3 cSt is on the low end of an SAE 40 grade viscosity). What oils were the previous reports? They had really high Moly. Were you spiking with Lube Gard?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why I call m1 0w40 one of the super class oils, if not the original super class oil, you can see it didnt shear a lot. PUP 0w40 starts much thicker and likely would have been much thinner. You see 5k mile intervals with pup 0w40 in the 10's, which is why I'm not sure that weight lends itself to having a long interval, lots of broken vii's to last 9 or 10k miles. But, that oil is serving you well except for aluminum, despite your hemi showing some previous average hemi wear. You can see that in some of the m1 uoa's but not all, every time I see it I am impressed. Your viscosity is impressive for a 0w40 with 9k miles in a hemi. Add a sump heater in the cold if you are in snow area?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes. Also sometimes in journal bearing layers, but usually it's piston skirts. Your levels are miniscule.

But what a report - is this the "FS" Mobil 1 0W-40 people have spoken of? I'd wager the API Classification is still SN owing to the wide viscosity range, high calcium, and low magnesium.

I'd also wager the VII additive sheardown is marginal with an ending vis of 66.3 cSt @ 100 deg C (we don't know what the fresh oil viscosity was, likely something high as 66.3 cSt is on the low end of an SAE 40 grade viscosity). What oils were the previous reports? They had really high Moly. Were you spiking with Lube Gard?
I must admit I have even looked, are any 0w40's sn+ or sp? Clearly this one isnt.

You see in notes he added lubegard, which boosts ca a little, but with mag that low, weird. Not used to seeing that anymore.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes it was FS 0w-40. Two things which I forgot to mention, the 9k is in KM's not miles, so that's about 5600 miles. Also I did add LG, but I'm not sure how much made it in. I put in a full jug when changing my oil but of course I was in a hurry and forgot to reduce the M1 by 1 quart. So ended up draining some LG out through the drain plug again before I started the engine, no doub the bulk of that drain was the LG as that was the first quart. Stupid mistake on my part, but that's whats going on there.

I wasn't happy with M1. Mainly the sound of the engine, it became a little more noisy then the previous runs of Redline. Didn't notice it right away, but after a few weeks I was certain it became more noisy.

Right now I'm running HPL passenger premium plus or whatever it's called. Only 2 weeks in but I feel the engine has become super quiet again when it's hot. Cold starts I still get that intermittent clacking/knocking, dunno what that is. But it doesn't sound like exhaust (it's less of an airy tick and more of knock/clack) and it goes away when the engine is hot.

I sent away for a VOA of the HPL oil, that should be coming hopefully tomorrow too, it shows up in my account with blackstone but shows as not yet completed so hopefully soon.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So that cold start clacking - given the aluminim in the report, could that noise be "piston slap"? It does it even in the middle of a hot summer day. Outside air is like 85 degrees F, engine is cold, start it up, and I hear the clacking/knocking.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So that cold start clacking - given the aluminim in the report, could that noise be "piston slap"? It does it even in the middle of a hot summer day. Outside air is like 85 degrees F, engine is cold, start it up, and I hear the clacking/knocking.

Sure could be. I gotta tell ya, I quit Mobil 1 nine years ago and haven't looked back. Bad things happened to Mobil when Exxon bought them. I knew some guys still there at that time. When I switched to PUP in 2013, my 5.7 Hemi at the time stopped ticking and consuming oil in 5,000 mile OCI's. I learned that as a member of BITOG at that time.

Today we know much more, thanks to you guys. BTW, I noticed same phenomena on my other engines changing from Mobil 1 to PUP - they all stopped using oil and were quieter. Then, of course, there's Red Line, the Holy Grail of all things oil, for a price.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I must admit I have even looked, are any 0w40's sn+ or sp? Clearly this one isnt.

You see in notes he added lubegard, which boosts ca a little, but with mag that low, weird. Not used to seeing that anymore.
Castrol edge 0w40 reformulated to api sp but i have not seen a voa/uoa or any jugs/quarts on the store shelves yet. Quaker state full synthetic euro 5w40 is api sp and its ad pack looks unreal for a 17 dollar 5 qt oil. And its GTL based.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Love that TBN at 9k miles! Thanks for doing this UOA!
he had said it is km, but the report looked great imo

So if an oil is more noisey but produces better wear numbers, what is the move? lol

That is what we have here.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

So if an oil is more noisey but produces better wear numbers, what is the move? lol

Dang cant believe i missed that

We call the experts!!! Lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Castrol edge 0w40 reformulated to api sp but i have not seen a voa/uoa or any jugs/quarts on the store shelves yet. Quaker state full synthetic euro 5w40 is api sp and its ad pack looks unreal for a 17 dollar 5 qt oil. And its GTL based.

Quaker State = PUP = SOPUS? Both Quaker State and Pennzoil are Shell Oil Company U.S. brands.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Doesn't make sense, does it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Doesn't make sense, does it?
I'd like to know more, I think he just left young engine stuff, so for now that would be a guess. We have many examples from beginning of the thread that hemi tick engines wear goes down with the redline, but I doubt redline is the lowest wear oil in a correctly running engine, we see that at Bob's. Personally, I'd go with the oil that left by engine butter smooth even if wear was slightly higher. Now, if we are talking 20ppm higher, no way I'd take a little noise. Ramfini is in a perfect spot now, I think we can lay down judgements on different oils based on his uoa's from here on out. So looking forward to seeing those.

What is it about redline that causes slightly higher wear, that is loaded question yes? Esters or high moly, moly too high? Even pao, or boron? I think the simplest answer is zddp, we know that increases wear and discourages wear and is the most disappointing thing about redline's formula. I say that only because in the case of hemi tick I think it is all those other features that stop the tick and not the zddp, we tested zddp a lot in early years and had near zero success against tick with it, so perhaps that 1200 is not needed for our purposes. However, with the api just going as low as possible with zinc in new specs, it doesnt bother me that much to have the extra protection. But that is my guess to the wear a tad higher, zinc related wear.

As always judge something on the body of work and not just one uoa, if I remember correctly rlk's uoa's had wear dropping in every uoa in a perfect running hemi. Of course he never did run anything but redline, but he produced some of the best uoa's on the board. I think guys should just try and couples things and see what sticks.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm looking forward to my next UOA (probably april/may 2023), as that will be when the new HPL oil comes back. It also has very high amounts of moly so it might be nice comparison vs my Redline runs.

At some point I will try to record my truck running when it's hot, when I'm going through a drive through and listening to the sounds bounce off the wall, or just walking around it outside when it's idling, it is extremely quiet.

But I will definitely feel better knowing the M1 can be run in my truck too and get good results. It's much easier to find than Redline/HPL so in a pinch.......

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
One thing I forgot to ask. I've been running the small Fram XG10060 mainly because it's available in stores and I can get it in an out of my truck. The "insoluables" on my report is 0.1, and the blackstone tech noted that the filter was doing a good job. Do you guys agree with that?

I've just bought this oil filter relocation kit and will be installing that for next time and then I'll be able to run the large RP/Fram XG filters without fitment issues.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, it looks like it doesnt matter because you are doing the smart thing. I would never run the smaller filter, it is like stupid hour over at fca to make small improvements such as larger needle bearings then turn around and restrict flow with a smaller filter. No doubt the smaller filter restricts flow, we know that 100%. Insolubles arent the issue with that filter, or course a spun glass filter will keep the oil clean, but you are restricting that engines oil flow by using them.