Bleeding brakes on 1997 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I continue to restore this ol' truck after sitting for 6 years. Today was all new nic-copper brake lines.

Started bleeding the way I always used to (fill fluid reservoir, start with passenger rear, have someone press brake pedal, open bleed screw for air/fluid to come out, close screw, have helper release pedal ...repeat).

This worked ...at first, but, after a few times, nothing came out of bleed screw. Tried another 3 or 4 times with nothing coming out, then I hopped in drivers seat. Brake pedal felt firm - as if brakes were 'good'. Then started truck, and pedal went to floor.

Started process again with same results, after 1st or 2nd try it was working, then stopped. Back in cab, brake pedal firm. Started engine, pedal goes to floor and limp as can be.

Reading about ABS vehicle needing one approach. Reading other processes calling for a diagnostic tool...

I know my truck has ABS. Not sure if just front/rear or both...

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Jay