Blend door repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone. New to the forum. Going to replace my recirc door because it fell off. Looking aT a few replacement parts on eBay. Some have this foil or folded paper that come with it, but no one can tell me what it’s for. I just want to know if I need it or not and, if so, what do I need it for? An help is appreciated. I attached a photo for reference.

7A9A69A3-C759-4522-9FA6-39B5B22E1A7E.jpeg

4A487313-638C-45BF-B6F8-0076AA198B79.jpeg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you doing the blend door (what your title says) or the recirc door (what your post says)?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok, if I remember right, the Heeter Treater method for the blend door involves cutting a hole in the front of the housing to access it and I believe they supply tape to cover it with. Not necessary for the recirc door, but from personal experience I will tell you it will a PITA, especially if you don't have small hands lol. You can reach where it needs to go easily after removing the blower fan. The real pain is getting to the solenoid/motor on the side. If you don't have the factory Infinity system you should be good; If you do that amp has to come out so you can reach the screws to detach the solenoid/motor. Take it slow and try not to get frustrated. Be prepared for scraped up arms and hands.

OP
OP
Noleman

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, if I remember right, the Heeter Treater method for the blend door involves cutting a hole in the front of the housing to access it and I believe they supply tape to cover it with. Not necessary for the recirc door, but from personal experience I will tell you it will a PITA, especially if you don't have small hands lol. You can reach where it needs to go easily after removing the blower fan. The real pain is getting to the solenoid/motor on the side. If you don't have the factory Infinity system you should be good; If you do that amp has to come out so you can reach the screws to detach the solenoid/motor. Take it slow and try not to get frustrated. Be prepared for scraped up arms and hands.

Well, that makes sense now. I was not planning on cutting anything. I do have the infinity system and did not know about the amp removal. I wasn’t planning on removing the motor. Do I have to?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To replace the blend door, yes. Fan motor is easy though, unplug, then three screws and it pops out. You can clean out all the debris and whatnot while you're in there. As soon as the fan is out of the way, if you look straight up through the hole that's LITERALLY where your new recirc door has to go. It's tricky, but once the old door is out and the busted spindle piece out of the way with the solenoid/motor, you guide the new door up, do some twisting and then it'll rest into position. Get the solenoid/motor lined up and back in and you're done other than putting the dash back together. I'm not sure if your center bezel would be in the way (I have a 2003) for getting to the amp but the glovebox has to come out as well.

OP
OP
Noleman

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To replace the blend door, yes. Fan motor is easy though, unplug, then three screws and it pops out. You can clean out all the debris and whatnot while you're in there. As soon as the fan is out of the way, if you look straight up through the hole that's LITERALLY where your new recirc door has to go. It's tricky, but once the old door is out and the busted spindle piece out of the way with the solenoid/motor, you guide the new door up, do some twisting and then it'll rest into position. Get the solenoid/motor lined up and back in and you're done other than putting the dash back together. I'm not sure if your center bezel would be in the way (I have a 2003) for getting to the amp but the glovebox has to come out as well.

Wow! Good info. Thank you. Gonna order the part now. I’ll post up how it goes.

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
The tape is for sealing where you cut your HVAC box and ruin it. I had a customer who used that, omg worst ever.

Considering how easy it is to pull the dash and HVAC box out of a dodge ram... no need for that.

5 maybe 6 electrical plugs about 24 bolts/screws and the entire dash comes out.

The only time it's ever a problem is when someone has an aftermarket stereo and didn't know how easy the dash was to pull out and they ran the wires all crazy through the dash.

I honestly suggest pulling the dash and replacing ALL the doors with the new ones with metal ends. do all the actuators, replace all the seals, and use the opportunity to clean the heater core and evaporator. it makes a massive difference in air volume and temperature.

The only downside, to pull the HVAC box all the way out, you need to unhook the heater core and AC system, so if you don't have a friend with some 134a tools, or a shop that will evacuate and refill the AC system on the cheap it can be a burden that way.

To give you an idea... one of these is a dodge RAM.... the other is a toyota.... I would rather do a Dodge RAM. :)

20200527_140000.jpg

20200626_171740.jpg

OP
OP
Noleman

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy ****! That doesn’t look easy lol

Is there anyway to do it without evacuating the system?