Blend doors replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tictac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 ram 2500, 2016 ram 2500, 2019 ram 1500
Engine
04 5.9L. 2016 6.9L 2019 hemi
Hello people, new to the forum. So I need to replace the blend doors on my 2004 ram 2500. Should I take the dash out completely or is there another way to do it without cutting into the hvac system. I would rather not cut and tape it back together. Any suggestions. I did watch a YouTube video on taking the dash out it seems to be not that hard but with me nothing is easy I always seem to run into problems that I did not see.

thanks

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello people, new to the forum. So I need to replace the blend doors on my 2004 ram 2500. Should I take the dash out completely or is there another way to do it without cutting into the hvac system. I would rather not cut and tape it back together. Any suggestions. I did watch a YouTube video on taking the dash out it seems to be not that hard but with me nothing is easy I always seem to run into problems that I did not see.

thanks
If the blend doors require replacement then the only way to access the blend door is to remove the instrument panel and lay it in the seat so you can remove the HVAC housing.

There aren't any shortcuts to access the blend door sub-assembly. It is inside the housing unlike the recirc sub-assembly that can be accessed on top of the HVAC housing without removing the instrument panel.

The DR body instrument panels are very easy to remove. The only thing that stumps a new guy doing the work are a pair of 10mm bolts that are vertical above the steering column.

Once you lower the steering column into the floor, look up above the steering column into the aluminum and you will see two shiny 10mm bolts. The rest is just easy.

OP
OP
T

Tictac

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 ram 2500, 2016 ram 2500, 2019 ram 1500
Engine
04 5.9L. 2016 6.9L 2019 hemi
Thanks for the information fast69mopar. I kinda figured I would have to remove the instrument panel to get to the HVAC system.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for the information fast69mopar. I kinda figured I would have to remove the instrument panel to get to the HVAC system.
Don't let it be intimidating either. If you take your time you can have the instrument panel laying in the seat in under an hour. HVAC housing removal is pretty straight forward as well. Take the truck to your local shop and have them evacuate the refrigerant before you get started.

joepenguin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did it on my 2003 last year after my heater core started leaking. The job wasn't difficult as much as tedious, if you read through the instructions and watch the youtube videos a few times you'll have no problem.
I took the opportunity to change my AC fan (on the coil by the radiator) which was locked up, changed the heater core and changed the blend doors. I highly recommend the Aluminum blend doors from blenddoorusa.com. The doors cost me $300 but they were perfectly and I don't expect to ever have to change them again.
When I asked Dodge how much it would cost to change the heater core they quoted me $1200 and that was without the blend doors.

Funkadelic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did this on my 2003 last fall. There is a great youtube video on the dash and HVAC removal that I watched, then types up a step by step based on the video. Pretty straight forward. I replaced the blend doors and the heater core/evap core while I had it out.

Matt Ranum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Out of curiosity when these break , does the air get deflected to the last place it was set to? Windshield? Floor?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a heater core on my Dad's '98 Ram, I was initially feeling overwhelmed by the job.
It took a lot of time, but not a lot of effort.

Be methodical about it, watch YouTube videos and let 'er rip. Give it a full weekend if you can.

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2006 Ram 2500 and replaced the blend door several years ago by removing the glove compartment and removing the fan motor. You can get your hand up there and reach the blend door. Didn’t have to remove the dash and took about an hour.

rjcuraj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have a 2005 2500! Last year my blend door above the circulation fan. I removed the fan to move the door which block any air flow but I could not remove it. Any suggestions?

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
i got mine out that way in my 2004,you just have to have it at the right angle.