Blind Spot Detection System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
As some of you know, when I ordered my 2021 Laramie, Blind Spot and Cross path Detection were not available due to the chip shortages. I would really like to add it to the truck but despite extensive searches I cannot find much info on retro-fitting these. Does anyone know if it is possible to add the OEM system to my existing truck. To order a 2022 exactly the same as mine but with BSD and cross path detection would cost 10,000 more than I paid for the 2021. As much as I want the options I am not willing to pay that kind of price to get them. Is there an aftermarket kit made by someone?

All help greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Going to give this a bump hoping someone with information will see it and post. Have done some checking, and of the 2 aftermarket options I have found neither exactly what I would call an elegant solution.

Dealer says there is no OEM kit, but they are also still having chip shortages and ordering Blind spot/cross path on new trucks is still highly limited to certain models and trim levels. If a guy could put together the list of all the parts needed could probably order it from Mopar. Even if the mirrors don't have the lights like my Grand Cherokee has, just the audible warning part would be a help.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
What does this system that you want consist of ?

I saw that the 9" Digital Rear View Mirror is available
The 3rd Brake Light with both the Cargo Cam & a Digital Camera Camera is also available
Extra Digital Cameras are also available, the same digital camera used in the Ram, is also used in other vehicles, some are high dollar foreign vehicles, but the exact same Digital Camera is also used in the Hyundai & Hyundai price is the least costly, it even has the same serial number

3rd brake light with Cargo Camera & a digital camera that displays on the rear view mirror above

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The Blind spot and Cross path detection uses two radar based sensors, one on each side in the rear, OEM I believe mounts in the tail light. It picks up cars in your blind spot or cars and people crossing behind you while you are backing up. On my Grande Cherokee a yellow light in each side mirror lights up on the appropriate side when someone is in your blindspot, if you signal to change lanes a chime sounds. A chime also sounds to warn you about someone crossing the back of the vehicle when backing up.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The Blind spot and Cross path detection uses two radar based sensors, one on each side in the rear, OEM I believe mounts in the tail light. It picks up cars in your blind spot or cars and people crossing behind you while you are backing up. On my Grande Cherokee a yellow light in each side mirror lights up on the appropriate side when someone is in your blindspot, if you signal to change lanes a chime sounds. A chime also sounds to warn you about someone crossing the back of the vehicle when backing up.
It isnt perfect. Double turn lanes sets mine off.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You can. It is very pricey tho!!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I installed it after the fact on my 4th gen so I'm sure it's possible on the 4.5, question is what is there already wiring wise (if anything).
The other issue is going to be sourcing the tail lights, they are hard to come by right now and going to be expensive.

There is a how-to for adding to a 4th gen on here, I'm sure it's very similar.

Really sucks they pulled that option because it is much more expensive to do it after the fact.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Have a similar set-up on our Escalade. Adds another level of awareness…… just don’t become ‘Reliant’ on them.

For the Ram, sticking with the ‘old school sound method’. “ What was that crunch sound? Hmmm, must. Have been a pothole”. :cool::waytogo::waytogo:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The cross path detection is worth its weight in gold, the way people fly up and down parking isles these days is crazy. Seems I'm always parked next to some sort of SUV with heavily tinted windows you can't see through. Between the RVC's high field width and cross path detection, I'm a lot happier when backing out of a parking space.

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You can. It is very pricey tho!!

Very cool, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for posting it. I talked to them, will have to wait a bit till they have the version without the mirrors, as I already have power folding Chrome trailer mirrors and that is actually a big chunk of the expense. With only needing the tail lamps and wiring it will be less than half the current posted price. Since they use all OEM parts the install video on their website, which is very well done, also gives me a real good idea of what I would need to buy from Ram parts to do it myself.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2016 Ram rear bumper sensors, sense people walking by as i back up & they don't seem to be within 4 foot of my bumper
The front bumper is much less sensitive

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
BossHogg
some smaller malls seem to be used as a way of cutting off an intersection, so they don't need to wait for a signal light.

The owners of the property need to install something similar to this, or have a Paving company come in & build them out of asphalt

That would really slow down those low riders

1648069799541.png

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I really like the blind spot detection on mine. I especially like that it can pick up the trailer length and warn me when someone is passing by the back of the trailer.