Blown Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else having issues with rear shocks ******** the bed, particularly in lifted applications? I had Fox 2.0's originally from their BDS kit...driver side was shot in no time so decided to swap them out for Bils that come with the Superlift kit (along with their bushings). Less than 3k miles and both of them are toast! There isn't an issue with them overextending or anything like that so I don't know what's going on here...

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my old 12 Ram 1500 with a 4" RXC I had a rear passenger side Bilstien go out after 8k +/- miles.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone else having issues with rear shocks ******** the bed, particularly in lifted applications? I had Fox 2.0's originally from their BDS kit...driver side was shot in no time so decided to swap them out for Bils that come with the Superlift kit (along with their bushings). Less than 3k miles and both of them are toast! There isn't an issue with them overextending or anything like that so I don't know what's going on here...

Your Bilsteins are shot?......I have about 5k on mine and they are still good as new.

are yours mounted like mine are oriented with body up?

IMG_3537.jpg

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your Bilsteins are shot?......I have about 5k on mine and they are still good as new.

are yours mounted like mine are oriented with body up?

View attachment 134538

Yes they are mounted just like yours. My buddy's old man has a garage, so I took it to him because the lousy ride has been driving me nuts. Didn't think it would be the shocks as they are so new...

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I don't get it man. Extra pain because I had to pay about 7 times what the bushings cost just to ship to Canada.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I don't get it man. Extra pain because I had to pay about 7 times what the bushings cost just to ship to Canada.

The 5100's have a lifetime warranty, not sure how the process works though

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5100's have a lifetime warranty, not sure how the process works though

Yeah I was just looking at that. You have to order up new ones first then send your busted ones back. And if they determine they are in fact shot they reimburse you (minus the shipping charges and some other bs)

Kind of thinking going with something else at this point though...

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s just strange your wearing out both Fox and Bilstein

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know man, very strange! Seems like it would have to be quite the coincidence to have 3 faulty shocks.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, just gonna send it!

Sad thing is the truck is a pavement princess

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a little update. Heard back from Bilstein, apparently the 5125's only have a 90 day warranty. Says a lot...

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a little update. Heard back from Bilstein, apparently the 5125's only have a 90 day warranty. Says a lot...

Terrific, keep us updated on what brand you switch too, I might need to switch one day myself

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded the truck in for a 17 so I didn't have to worry about it.

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Terrific, keep us updated on what brand you switch too, I might need to switch one day myself

Ended up ordering another Fox since I still had a good one leftover. I've added a Hellwig, track bar relo bracket, and new control arms since I removed them the first time so I'm hoping that might work in my favor this time around.

I inquired about Procomp MX6 adjustables but they don't make them anymore. So if these fail I'll probably just go with the cheap BDS NX2's.

Reactions: JB1

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I just had factory blow on me with 15000 miles on it Replaced under warranty

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

OP
OP
S

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little update here. Received another Fox and put those back on there. At first the rear stiffened up substantially and rode a helluva lot better, but within just a few weeks it's progressively getting worse again.

So I brought it up to my buddies ol man who has been a mechanic for over 35 years, put it up on his lift and could not find anything mechanically wrong.
So he recommended another guy who used to be a Dodge mechanic for many years and now has his own shop. So taking it to him tomorrow so be can take it for a spin and hopefully figure out what the issue is here.

If not, don't know what I'm going to do next. Either take my chances and order up all the Core 4x4 gear or return it back to stock. Right now it's terrible to drive...