BLUE DEF PLAITINUM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oyou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
I've been running it in my 2022 3500 HO since I drove it off the dealers lot. I have 10K miles on it and 98% of that is highway driving. Zero issues so far. I do test it before I use it though. I wonder if you truck simply doesn't like the change... who knows.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've been running it in my 2022 3500 HO since I drove it off the dealers lot. I have 10K miles on it and 98% of that is highway driving. Zero issues so far. I do test it before I use it though. I wonder if you truck simply doesn't like the change... who knows.
There is absolutely ZERO difference other than the brand name. It all has to meet a certain standard.

JessJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
2015 Ram 3500 6.7 DRW with 63,000 miles. Got a check engine light so pulled codes and says Nox #1, and SCR, DPF failure. So I called BS. Cleared codes and drove a few days and light back on. Pulled codes and they were different codes. BS again. This went on for a couple weeks WITH DIFFERENT CODES EACH TIME, then I remembered I put that Blue DEF Platinum crap in to try it out. Took it to the shop and they wanted to through thousands of dollars in parts at it with knowing exactly what was going on. Wrong thing to do. Drained the DEF tank and refilled with regular Blue. Pulled my heavy ass fifth wheel 300 miles and no light and no codes. DO NOT PUT THAT **** IN YOUR RAM CUMMINS
There is a cleanliness spec for DEF. I think it is an ASTM number. Cleanliness is very important. Try not to store it for too long(six months??). DEF absorbs water - probably mostly after opening a jug.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is a cleanliness spec for DEF. I think it is an ASTM number. Cleanliness is very important. Try not to store it for too long(six months??). DEF absorbs water - probably mostly after opening a jug.
That's hilarious considering DEF is already 67.5% water to begin with.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There’s a difference between distilled water and tap water.

Is distilled water the same as tap water?

All water -- no matter if it comes from a natural spring, artesian well, or regular tap -- may have trace but safe amounts of minerals, bacteria, pesticides, and other contaminants. Distilling rids water of all those impurities. It also removes more than 99.9% of the minerals dissolved in water.

Livinthedream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used the platinum for several months. My reason for doing so is the protection against crystallization and it being a “cleaner” product

Mark

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have used the platinum for several months. My reason for doing so is the protection against crystallization and it being a “cleaner” product

Mark
What makes you think the platinum DEF is "cleaner" and cleaner than what, regular DEF? Why would the platinum DEF protect you from crystallization?

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Mark
All DEF crystallizes, that's Chem 101. More than likely the DEF at the Truck stop has the shortest time from its mixing to dispensing and most consistent temperature management so could be termed "freshest" inasmuch it has the longest possible time before its theoretical expiry. All this is theoretical anyway as no one knows how long DEF will last if kept in a full sealed container at a stable "cool" temperature above freezing. And why should they...no one cares, nor can we measure it as relates to shelf time and users are generally unequipped to store and manage DEF supply. No need to overthink this.

Last edited:

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Actually there is know shelf life for DEF. Per TSB 25-006-13

Temp/Estimated Life
32F/Indefinite
50F/75 years
68F/11 years
86F/23 months
95F/10 months
104F/4 months
122F/1 month
140F/1 week

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Actually there is know shelf life for DEF. Per TSB 25-006-13

Temp/Estimated Life
32F/Indefinite
50F/75 years
68F/11 years
86F/23 months
95F/10 months
104F/4 months
122F/1 month
140F/1 week
Again a theoretical standard for a theoretical application. Since no one can attest to the treatment of the boxes or the tanked stuff, its impossible for a consumer to know what the shelf life is of the DEF they are consuming. The 68 deg (International Standard Temp of 20 deg C) at 11 years is practically indefinite which strengthens the argument that below ground bulk storage at a truck stop makes for a theoretically fressher product than one that may have spent weeks inside a container baking in a desert somewhere.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Love this thread - we are a bunch of guys arguing about the pis* fluid our trucks need to stay on the road :D well, not just stay on the road but pass emissions testing.

Just over 1-month in on my ownership of my first Ram 2500, let alone my first diesel. DEF tank was full leaving the dealership on June 18 and added my first 2.5-gallon jug last week. I bought mine at Costco…just plain BlueDef for 9 bucks or so; I forget the exact price.

We lost focus on the real problem here; every thread I read on dealership treatment of DEF system issues is to throw parts at it. That is just nuts and plain highway robbery. Do they really not understand that garage mechanics are exposing their treachery? I recall a thread where a guy saved over 3K by pulling the DEF injector and cleaning it Solved the problem. Just nuts.

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The problem of the entire DEF installation is more subtle than robbery. The DEF system is 'blueprinted" by the manufacturer and there are no serviceable items. Read the workshop manual that you may have received with your OM on a USB (I did with my 5500) and you will see that its a system divided into 3 major assemblies. Nothing can be replaced in those assemblies without the manufacturer being deemed to have violated the vehicle's EPA approval. A non-dealer may be able to do it and with an aftermarket CANBUS control remove the errant code but a dealer will not do that under penalty of law.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The problem of the entire DEF installation is more subtle than robbery. The DEF system is 'blueprinted" by the manufacturer and there are no serviceable items. Read the workshop manual that you may have received with your OM on a USB (I did with my 5500) and you will see that its a system divided into 3 major assemblies. Nothing can be replaced in those assemblies without the manufacturer being deemed to have violated the vehicle's EPA approval. A non-dealer may be able to do it and with an aftermarket CANBUS control remove the errant code but a dealer will not do that under penalty of law.
That makes sense, in a .gov sort of way. Thanks for explaining that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
One thing that i look for when i walk into any hardware, auto parts store or fueling station.
I look to see where they keep their stock of DEF

One depressing thing that i have noticed is that way too many of those places, place the DEF directly in front of the plate glass window & some Big Box stores, keep it in the same room as their HVAC system

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best insurance is investing in a def fluid refractometer. Having it mixed to rich is just as bad as a weak mix. It’s really touchy.

I keep mine CTD at half a tank unless I’m doing a road trip or working it hard.

I had gotten expired fluid when I first purchased it costing $1200 to have repaired.

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know the best way to dispose of DEF. I got about 250 -300 gallons at work that’s been there for 3-4 years.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They used to spray a mixture of Urea on runways, lol, or maybe on roadways., ie., ice issues though I doubt JNelson have a winter issue that massive.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They used to spray a mixture of Urea on runways, lol, or maybe on roadways., ie., ice issues though I doubt JNelson have a winter issue that massive.

?? It freezes just the same as water.

Depending on how it was stored it maybe fine to use in the system.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
the DEF Tank in your Ram has a heater coil inside of it

Even if your tank is frozen, the system will still work long enough for the liquid to begin melting