BLUE DEF PLAITINUM

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
DEF from a truck stop pump is $4/Fallon, it's cheaper and fresher than anything out of a box.
I'm not saying it's not operator error but I have enough issues getting the DEF pumps to operate smoothly when filling the semi, I don't need that hassle and/or mess on my pickup if I can help it. Even if it is only like once or twice a year.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm not saying it's not operator error but I have enough issues getting the DEF pumps to operate smoothly when filling the semi
I hear the pumps that need use the magnet release on the handle can be a pain to use.
You just have to listen for the DEF coming up the fill pipe, no mess that way

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've never had a problem using the cheapo wallyworld def in over 30K miles. I did use a 2.5 gallon jug of "platinum" last summer while we were on vacation only because there was nothing else available and didn't notice any difference.

Last edited:

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I hear the pumps that need use the magnet release on the handle can be a pain to use.
You just have to listen for the DEF coming up the fill pipe, no mess that way
Sometimes just getting a steady flow from the pump to begin with is the issue. Depending on the day it might Take more "finesse" than I care to give.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
The exact Name Escapes Me but Tractor Supply Company's internal brand of DEF is only like 13 bucks for a two and a half gallon jug.

This is what I bought the last 2 times. I air on the side of caution so I use my Refractometer I got from Amazon and I test the concentration on the jugs of DEF. Have not yet found a bad one and never had a problem or MIL in the any of the 39k miles on the truck.

Sam64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Walmart's

Super Tech DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid 2.5 Gallon is now $11.38​

It recently jumped from $7.99 for the same size

They claim there is a shortage of DEF, which is not true
Trucking outfits raised their prices slightly
Middlemen are making a fortune

I think that i rather go to a smaller store like Tractor Supply, then stand in line at Wally World
We’ve seen above and below that DEF is a blend of Urea and deionized water. Urea is also used in farming and agriculture as a fertilizer. It’s a great way to blast nitrogen to your plants.

World events are why Urea prices have increased over 100%, and the impact in DEF is then felt.

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is a shortage per the CEO of Pilot/FJ. Caused largely by a lack of railcars (cannot use pipelines) as available from the big 4 rail companies who have cut capacity by 15%. This will also lead to a diesel shortage, higher prices and variability. Not every market will be similarly effected.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Gas, diesel and DEF are ALL expensive in upstate NY. Still though, I am getting about 30 mpg and 850 a tank from my 1500 EcoD. So I am still glad I got the 1500 ED truck and not the 2500.

Ronald E Shelton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
The exact Name Escapes Me but Tractor Supply Company's internal brand of DEF is only like 13 bucks for a two and a half gallon jug.
Costco sells the "Peak Brand" of Blue DEF for the same price . . . .when available!

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
As was stated earlier, one DEF option is to use the big-truck pumps at a truck stop. The fuel pumps probably won't work too well for you because of their outlet size and the high speed but the DEF pump should work. I never had any problems putting DEF into the big truck since the early (2011) days when DEF pumps were still rare and we had to carry our own. Truck stop DEF has a high usage rate so should be pretty good. For those of you "LUCKY" enough to need DEF, the DEF pump nozzles are pretty small so they should work for you and the fluid should be cheaper. Luckily my Dodge/Cummins is a 1994. I don't know of quality differences in various DEF brands but the basic Urea/DIWater is basically the same.