BLUE DEF PLAITINUM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonandPam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2015 Ram 3500 6.7 DRW with 63,000 miles. Got a check engine light so pulled codes and says Nox #1, and SCR, DPF failure. So I called BS. Cleared codes and drove a few days and light back on. Pulled codes and they were different codes. BS again. This went on for a couple weeks WITH DIFFERENT CODES EACH TIME, then I remembered I put that Blue DEF Platinum crap in to try it out. Took it to the shop and they wanted to through thousands of dollars in parts at it with knowing exactly what was going on. Wrong thing to do. Drained the DEF tank and refilled with regular Blue. Pulled my heavy ass fifth wheel 300 miles and no light and no codes. DO NOT PUT THAT **** IN YOUR RAM CUMMINS

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the warning, I saw it on the shelf over the weekend and wondered if it was some how better then regular DEF...

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know people that strictly run that stuff and complete opposite. I just grab whatever is cheapest and never had any issues with any of my trucks. Could of been sitting on the shelf too long.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I will continue to buy Walmart's SuperTech

DEF has only 1 formula

How do they make urea for DEF?

Contrary to popular myth, cow and bat ***** and DEF are not a thing. The urea used in the manufacture of DEF is synthetically derived from ammonia and carbon dioxide, and urea production plants are often adjacent to other sites where ammonia is produced, such as coal and natural gas refineries

Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) which is composed of 32.5 percent urea and 67.5 percent deionized water. For those who like trivia, urea is considered to be the first organic compound to be synthesized from inorganic chemicals.

??(Powdered imitation cow ***** & deionized water) ??

DEF NEVER enters the engine in any form
It is sprayed directly into the exhaust & hopefully breaks up any build up

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The exact Name Escapes Me but Tractor Supply Company's internal brand of DEF is only like 13 bucks for a two and a half gallon jug.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Walmart's

Super Tech DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid 2.5 Gallon is now $11.38​

It recently jumped from $7.99 for the same size

They claim there is a shortage of DEF, which is not true
Trucking outfits raised their prices slightly
Middlemen are making a fortune

I think that i rather go to a smaller store like Tractor Supply, then stand in line at Wally World

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Did reg BlueDef in the beginning, then switched over to wallyworld stuff. It was great @$8 vs $12. Now it's $14 vs $17. Got one of these off of Amazon

Guy I know in a Semi Shop and I compared mine vs his digital meter that was about $200 and both were even

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The exact Name Escapes Me but Tractor Supply Company's internal brand of DEF is only like 13 bucks for a two and a half gallon jug.
DEF from a truck stop pump is $4/Fallon, it's cheaper and fresher than anything out of a box.

I think this is the first complaint I've read about DEF Blue Platinum suspect in causing a problem. A bunch of people tried the stuff and switched back because of cost as it's about 50% more.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get a def refractometer. Quick and easy to use. You can get them for $25 or the digital for $200-300. FYI I check calibration every time with the supplied components.

Also every bottle of DEF has the manufacture date on them, you may have to google to crack the code.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Supertech DEF
they don't try to hide the date, like BlueDEF does

1653538973037.png

Some people see the white powder on the jug & unscrew the lid to see if the seal is intact

Walmart Supertech shelves are often empty, so when i see it on the shelf, i grab 2 of the cleanest jugs

Last edited:

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
DEF from a truck stop pump is $4/Fallon, it's cheaper and fresher than anything out of a box.
I'm not saying it's not operator error but I have enough issues getting the DEF pumps to operate smoothly when filling the semi, I don't need that hassle and/or mess on my pickup if I can help it. Even if it is only like once or twice a year.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm not saying it's not operator error but I have enough issues getting the DEF pumps to operate smoothly when filling the semi
I hear the pumps that need use the magnet release on the handle can be a pain to use.
You just have to listen for the DEF coming up the fill pipe, no mess that way

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've never had a problem using the cheapo wallyworld def in over 30K miles. I did use a 2.5 gallon jug of "platinum" last summer while we were on vacation only because there was nothing else available and didn't notice any difference.

Last edited:

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I hear the pumps that need use the magnet release on the handle can be a pain to use.
You just have to listen for the DEF coming up the fill pipe, no mess that way
Sometimes just getting a steady flow from the pump to begin with is the issue. Depending on the day it might Take more "finesse" than I care to give.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

This is what I bought the last 2 times. I air on the side of caution so I use my Refractometer I got from Amazon and I test the concentration on the jugs of DEF. Have not yet found a bad one and never had a problem or MIL in the any of the 39k miles on the truck.

Sam64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Walmart's

Super Tech DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid 2.5 Gallon is now $11.38​

It recently jumped from $7.99 for the same size

They claim there is a shortage of DEF, which is not true
Trucking outfits raised their prices slightly
Middlemen are making a fortune

I think that i rather go to a smaller store like Tractor Supply, then stand in line at Wally World
We’ve seen above and below that DEF is a blend of Urea and deionized water. Urea is also used in farming and agriculture as a fertilizer. It’s a great way to blast nitrogen to your plants.

World events are why Urea prices have increased over 100%, and the impact in DEF is then felt.

vlamgat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is a shortage per the CEO of Pilot/FJ. Caused largely by a lack of railcars (cannot use pipelines) as available from the big 4 rail companies who have cut capacity by 15%. This will also lead to a diesel shortage, higher prices and variability. Not every market will be similarly effected.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Gas, diesel and DEF are ALL expensive in upstate NY. Still though, I am getting about 30 mpg and 850 a tank from my 1500 EcoD. So I am still glad I got the 1500 ED truck and not the 2500.

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
As was stated earlier, one DEF option is to use the big-truck pumps at a truck stop. The fuel pumps probably won't work too well for you because of their outlet size and the high speed but the DEF pump should work. I never had any problems putting DEF into the big truck since the early (2011) days when DEF pumps were still rare and we had to carry our own. Truck stop DEF has a high usage rate so should be pretty good. For those of you "LUCKY" enough to need DEF, the DEF pump nozzles are pretty small so they should work for you and the fluid should be cheaper. Luckily my Dodge/Cummins is a 1994. I don't know of quality differences in various DEF brands but the basic Urea/DIWater is basically the same.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam