Both Exhaust Manifolds Leaking on 2014 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Took my 2014 6.4 with 90K in for an oil change and asked them to listen when it's cold as it's been making some noise. Just got a call that both exhaust manifolds are leaking and need to be redone. The dealer acted stunned and said they had never seen it on the 6.4, only the 5.7 but I'm pretty sure I've read about several cases of the 6.4 on here. I have one of the older 6.4s at 5+ years so this could turn into a common thing as more of them age.

Lifetime Maxcare covers it otherwise I'd be looking at $2200 so I guess the good news is my warranty just paid for itself. Anyway, just thought I'd make a post here in case others experience the same thing.
dumb for years dealer s know cheep bolts on them little gasket thin and bad y pipe set up i did y pip qt 5,000 mile s no problems so far i just go les swab get new gasket set put on and replace back two bolts seem the fasted leaking problem !

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
dumb for years dealer s know cheep bolts on them little gasket thin and bad y pipe set up i did y pip qt 5,000 mile s no problems so far i just go les swab get new gasket set put on and replace back two bolts seem the fasted leaking problem !

Go home, you’re drunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced both manifolds,gaskets,studs and heatshields on my 5.7. It took 6 hours and parts were about $320. $2200 is ALOT to charge for this fix.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just replaced both manifolds,gaskets,studs and heatshields on my 5.7. It took 6 hours and parts were about $320. $2200 is ALOT to charge for this fix.

Agreed and if it wasn't under warranty there's no way I'd have the dealer doing it. It's going to cost me a $100 warranty deductible. Also, I clarified and they are doing entirely new manifolds.

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

well considering my very front bolt was broken on the drivers side, I think you can put your y pipe theory to rest. Both my manifolds were warped quite a bit, I would say close to 1/8". that is whats snapping the studs

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I just talked to the dealer and it sounds like I'm getting all new manifolds as opposed to just new gaskets and hardware. The problem is they got the wrong parts shipped (I know, huge surprise) that were for the 5.7 so now it's going to be next week before my truck is ready. The dealer is making it sound like this is just totally rare and that there is no widespread problem on the 6.4 engines. [deletia]

Read this a few days ago so when I talked to my tech. this morning I asked him if he'd seen this problem on 6.4s and he said no.

I did not look up the part numbers but I suspect that at least the manifold and gasket are not the same.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021828 miles.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Read this a few days ago so when I talked to my tech. this morning I asked him if he'd seen this problem on 6.4s and he said no.

I did not look up the part numbers but I suspect that at least the manifold and gasket are not the same.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 021828 miles.

Yeah, they must be different since I was told by the dealer they were originally shipped the wrong parts (for a 5.7).

Something I'm completely skeptical of is that if this is such a rare occurrence on a 6.4, how did BOTH sides of mine happen to go bad? According to FCA's logic, this is like getting struck by lightening and winning the lottery on the same day :)

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got 43000 on my 6.4 now no problems. I do notice that when mds is on the trans is sloppy.i think when coming out of mds while shifting its harsh. Most of the time i have it off.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, they must be different since I was told by the dealer they were originally shipped the wrong parts (for a 5.7).

Something I'm completely skeptical of is that if this is such a rare occurrence on a 6.4, how did BOTH sides of mine happen to go bad? According to FCA's logic, this is like getting struck by lightening and winning the lottery on the same day :)

Probably not torqued right at the factory.

abbttb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have 60k on my 2016 6.4 and have had no issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Mopar exhaust manifolds on rockauto.com are $165 left, and $76 right. Strange difference in price. $2200 would suck. I got rid of my 08 F150 after 3 rt side exhaust manifolds in 2 years. paid $800 I think for 1 side. Did first two myself.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP here - I finally got my truck back this week and the noise that made me ask about a problem is still there :emotions122::emotions122:. Honestly, the noise isn't bad and I really don't even mind but it's just kind of funny. I mainly just asked since I was in for an oil change. I have the lifetime warranty so I suppose I'll just wait for something to fall off the truck :)

I was a bit skeptical that they actually did anything but definitely smelled some new parts burning in for the first few times I ran the truck.

What I'm hearing is just kind of a loose rattling at startup. Seems to be coming more from the back of the truck. Dealer says they couldn't find anything else but the manifolds. Oh well, I got new manifolds for $100. Can't beat that.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that is wild! OP, you’re taking this better than I would...I like your attitude!

TXCOMT

Leonard Russo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was under the impression that the 6.4 manifolds were stainless steel along with hardware and gaskets ? Am I mistaken ?

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP here - I finally got my truck back this week and the noise that made me ask about a problem is still there :emotions122::emotions122:. Honestly, the noise isn't bad and I really don't even mind but it's just kind of funny. I mainly just asked since I was in for an oil change. I have the lifetime warranty so I suppose I'll just wait for something to fall off the truck :)

I was a bit skeptical that they actually did anything but definitely smelled some new parts burning in for the first few times I ran the truck.

What I'm hearing is just kind of a loose rattling at startup. Seems to be coming more from the back of the truck. Dealer says they couldn't find anything else but the manifolds. Oh well, I got new manifolds for $100. Can't beat that.

Sounds to me like your tech/service dept saw your maxcare warranty as a blank check. Tech probably made time on the flat rate job by doing the job in half the time as what flat rate pays. Parts replacers (so called mechanics) can make a lot of money replacing parts under warranty that don't need replaced. If they are fast they can get paid more hours than what they actually work. It happens all the time. Or used to anyway.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds to me like your tech/service dept saw your maxcare warranty as a blank check. Tech probably made time on the flat rate job by doing the job in half the time as what flat rate pays. Parts replacers (so called mechanics) can make a lot of money replacing parts under warranty that don't need replaced. If they are fast they can get paid more hours than what they actually work. It happens all the time. Or used to anyway.

I've often wondered about this but it sure seems like the dealership has a lot to lose to make a few bucks. I guess I could see an individual tech doing it but the dealership sure would be putting themselves in a spot if they were aware and had a disgruntled employee..... dare I say a, "whistle blower" :) :)

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've often wondered about this but it sure seems like the dealership has a lot to lose to make a few bucks. I guess I could see an individual tech doing it but the dealership sure would be putting themselves in a spot if they were aware and had a disgruntled employee..... dare I say a, "whistle blower" :) :)

Ya, if the dealership finds out a tech is workin the system he's a gonner. It's not worth losing a franchise over. I've seen it happen. The tech(s) gettin ousted that is.