Bottle Jack size - min/max height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am looking to put a bottle jack in my truck box for basic roadsize use to replace the hated scissor jack. Will have a standard floor jack for home garage use.

Issue is, I'm having a hard time deciding what size (as far as minimum and maximum Height) to look for. It's been noted in another thread that the jacking points on our 1500's are 9.5" for front and 13.5" for rear. So, the initial height would have to be under 9.5" by a few inches to allow for a flat tire dropping the lower A-arm... and would need to extend a couple inches higher than 13.5" either on it's own or with some help, ie a 2x12 base and possibly 4x4 or 6x6 block?

This all points to a Stubby Bottle Jack - so I should look for something at 6" or so minimum height, up to possibly 12-14" maximum height, if I can find one... is what I am thinking. Any holes in my logic?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I am looking to put a bottle jack in my truck box for basic roadsize use to replace the hated scissor jack. Will have a standard floor jack for home garage use.

Issue is, I'm having a hard time deciding what size (as far as minimum and maximum Height) to look for. It's been noted in another thread that the jacking points on our 1500's are 9.5" for front and 13.5" for rear. So, the initial height would have to be under 9.5" by a few inches to allow for a flat tire dropping the lower A-arm... and would need to extend a couple inches higher than 13.5" either on it's own or with some help, ie a 2x12 base and possibly 4x4 or 6x6 block?

This all points to a Stubby Bottle Jack - so I should look for something at 6" or so minimum height, up to possibly 12-14" maximum height, if I can find one... is what I am thinking. Any holes in my logic?
Bring several pieces of 2x12 and one jack stand. Go up what you can, put stand under truck. Take jack out, add another 2x or even another 4x pc and then jack some more, then raise jack stand for safety, leave it in place.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I have 2 3ton home depot bottle jacks and a couple pieces of pressure treated scrap wood. I’ve jacked trucks, trailers and even my small cabin with them.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Pump Bottle jack - $15.
Scrap wood - free
Knowing you didn't buy a $250. 12V jack - Priceless (for the first 17 flat tires, after that the yuppie jack wins out)

No offense Michael :)

OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not having much luck on the stubby search - seems most that start at 6" only go up to 11" or so... which makes sense as the ram is shorter to begin with. I did see a 2 ton that might work but I was looking for a bit more capacity. Although I suppose a 2t would work for flat tire work, ie one corner only, ie

https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Hydraulic-Bottle-Carrying-Capacity/dp/B004PX4YDM

Or Maybe something like these
https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-7387-Hydraulic-Bottle/dp/B000OUXT9K

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-4412S-Fully-Welded-Bottle/dp/B06X95RCS5

Last edited:
OP
OP
78Staff

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think this is the one I carry, as well as a piece of 2x6 and maybe a small 4x4.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-6-t...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Yeah that is a popular one, I just wasn't sure at 8.5" min height it would work since the front jacking point is 9.5" with a fully inflated tire, so a flat would drop that a few inches.

The other poster mentioned carrying a jack stand also and jacking the frame first, setting a jackstand and then jacking the lower a-arm. Using that two step method I think it would fine though?