Bought a 2019 Ram 1500 with sport package, do I really need a Clearbra put on the front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ute4Life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently picked up a Laramie with sport package, people at the dealership were saying that I should get a clear bra put on it to protect the painted bumper, can any of you speak on this?

Thanks

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 4th gen with a painted bumper and it looks fine after 1.5 years. No chips

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The painted bumper on my 2014 would still look mint if I didn't drive through fields with it during deer season.

They're just trying to add a sale.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently picked up a Laramie with sport package, people at the dealership were saying that I should get a clear bra put on it to protect the painted bumper, can any of you speak on this?

Thanks

Do you need to? No

Will it protect the paint? Absolutely. My last two cars have had the full front end wrapped. After having an Infiniti Q50 get chipped to **** from highway driving - it was worth it for me.

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My cousin had a bra on his car and over time..... the paint under the bra did not fade as much as the rest of the car so he could not take it off!!! Paint did not match.!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My cousin had a bra on his car and over time..... the paint under the bra did not fade as much as the rest of the car so he could not take it off!!! Paint did not match.!!

Sounds like he didn't take care of his car lol. Although this can happen with the cheaper stuff.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
I used one on my 94 F150, paint come off under it after a couple years.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
A bra a a clear bra are two separate things. A clear bra is ppf (paint protection film I believe) and it goes on like vinyl wrap but it’s thicker and clear.

Paint will not peel beneath ppf. I could see the possibility of the color fading less under the ppf if it blocks uv rays though

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put one on especially if you drive interstate or areas of road work. I have 12k on the odo and 3 small chips on my bumper. I’m gonna fix them and install a PPF ASAP. Also wax or seal the pain regularly, there will be no issue. Today’s films are light years better today.

A light buff would bing dull paint paint back.

Last edited:

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don’t need it

But it sure helps especially if you do a lot of interstate driving.

I would take it to a PPF installer myself if you did decide to do it and skip the extra money the dealer wants to charge you for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had one on the last two Sports I've owned. I do a lot of highway driving and it sure saved the front from rock chips. I figure if you don't mind the chips and getting the front end painted every few years, you probably don't need it. If you want to protect the paint from rock chips and bug guts that can eat into your paint if not removed quickly enough, I'd recommend getting one. One thing I think you will find however, if you get quality material, installed by someone that knows what they are doing, it ain't cheap!!!
Jay

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had two sports in a row, driven them a combined 64,000 miles and haven't had one rock chip on the bumper. Just my experience, I may be the lucky one. At this point I'll probably have another sport next and continue to drive them as is until I experience otherwise.

Terryturner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks

I take it your Laramie sport is the ivory tri coat? Looks white in the pic. I thought maybe u got the unicorn that I've been wanting. Probably have to wait til next year to be able to build a truck that checks all the boxes for me.

Kevs10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what i have seen on my truck with 13000km is that the hood has tons of chips, bumper not so much
wished i have done it now

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are considering PPF on the front then you should also consider on the lower front of the wheel flares. Many new Ram owners are complaining that the front of the wheel flares are getting chipped.

It depends on where you drive your truck. A lot of off-road driving - yes. Driving in the north where there is a lot of winter salt and worse, cinders - yes. Driving in the south and not much off-road driving - maybe no?

I am considering the same for the front of my hood and lower front of the wheel flares. I got the chrome bumper partly because of chipping. Most of my other vehicles have many chips on the front of the hood but I also have driven them well over 100k and many over 200k miles.

Many other Ram owners on another forum with painted bumpers would recommend it.

The other thing I'm checking into is the ceramic finish coat on parts but not the entire truck - but maybe I should consider on the entire truck?

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
You don't NEED a clear bra, but you certainly won't regret it. I had the bumper and entire hood done on a previous truck, and they do what they are supposed to, protect your truck. A quality PPF goes a long way. Some do the rockers too.

The majority of rock chips to the front end come from either tail gating too close to vehicles ejecting rocks, or from people cutting you off and merging in too early. You get the odd guy that will chip you from meeting oncoming traffic and what not too. I suppose it is largely based on your location and its geographic as well.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
7,000 miles... just washed truck yesterday. Clear Bra has saved the truck in at least a dozen locations.

If you drive on the interstate often, there is absolutely no avoiding it in a populated region.