Bought a 99 V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10 8.0
I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 99 2500 with a v10. The truck is 2wd and single cab with 96 K on the odometer. The trim level is Laramie. It's hard to believe but this truck is rust free and very clean underneath. The paint is in very nice shape and it has a fiberglass cap painted to match. Everything seems to work well. AC and heat are good. electric driver seat works good. The truck holds good oil pressure when hot and the temp guage reads around 180. The transmission seems to shift very well. I pick the truck up next week after the dealer does a dash skin replacement, new tires and a new battery.

I guess i'm looking for any advice about what type of maintenance I should do. I'm not sure which transmission it has and when the fluid has last been changed and the bands adjusted. BTW, what should I have to pay for a band adjustment? Does it require a pan drop? The coolant looks ok and the radiator was full. If I should need to change it, what type of coolant should I use? I had an 05 RAM quadcab hemi and also have an 04 jeep liberty. I know those engines use the G05 coolant. Does the v10 use the same stuff?

This truck will be used to pull our 33 1/2 foot camper. It weighs about 7K empty. Loaded I think it is probably close to 8k. In addition, I'll be removing the cap and hauling a Polaris RZR 900 in the truck bed on some camping trips. There is already a brake controller installed. I'm hoping this truck will be up to the task. Again, any advice given will be deeply appreciated.

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
transmission should be a 47RE, adjusting the forward band can be done without dropping the pan its on the side, the rearward band is inside the pan, i highly recommend installing a drain plug when the pan is down. these transmissions are a bit particular to service when you want longevity of life. 2nd gen should be green coolant, look in your book though. there was a pink colored coolant called for in my friends 01 dakota. if you are mechanically inclined or are able to have a shop do it, id recommend getting a shift correction kit for these. especially towing.
Congrats on the buy and welcome to the forum!
nice seeing more 2nd gen owners!