Bought a northern truck, can I seal or coat the frame ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
37DB016C-28E6-4E6D-BF14-214F3CFF4C8E.jpeg
I just picked this 2019 up. I’m in Florida , it had one owner in Michigan . Can I do anything to seal or coat the tiny bits of rust I see ?

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I lived in Connecticut for 60 plus years.
Rust never sleeps.

OP
OP
PentastarCrew13
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I wouldn't call it bad by any means, just wanted best wy to correct the issue right away.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
View attachment 466300
I just picked this 2019 up. I’m in Florida , it had one owner in Michigan . Can I do anything to seal or coat the tiny bits of rust I see ?
Since you’re in Florida you don’t want so coat it because fluid film type products are designed to stay wet and ooze to protect again salt and brine. Your easy way is to get under with a rust reformer and coat all rusted areas. Once dry use a good chassis paint. The better way would be to wire brush the rust, then use rust reformer then top coat a good chassis paint. To add additional protection use Adam’s polishes undercarriage. It will help keep everything clean and protected if applied properly

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you’re in Florida you don’t want so coat it because fluid film type products are designed to stay wet and ooze to protect again salt and brine. Your easy way is to get under with a rust reformer and coat all rusted areas. Once dry use a good chassis paint. The better way would be to wire brush the rust, then use rust reformer then top coat a good chassis paint. To add additional protection use Adam’s polishes undercarriage. It will help keep everything clean and protected if applied properly
^^^^^^^^^^^ DITTO ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I just neva did the Adam's thing, not in TX,. But hey, down here, U get the rust always forming on exterior surfaces of rotors and on drive shaft, LOL. Not hurt ne thing. But yeah, wire brush. Blow off, wipe clean. And then wat ever yer choice is. Some use Rust Oleum, some Use reformer with a primer in paint, some use reformer than coat of paint. Kinda depends upon how much U wanna do. All a personal preference.

ADDED: I may get froggy (I mean turkey ish) and crawl unda truck and clean drive shaft and paint with like rust oleum or something like that. BUT it does not hurt a drive shaft, LOL.

OP
OP
PentastarCrew13
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thanks Guys! It was funny, I have an older jeep and always look for rust on them. I didn't run the car fax on the ram until after I got home and saw MI. lol

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had an 2003 F350 Texas truck. Got it to Virginia and started to see surface rust pop up. Used a product we used in the Navy called Ospho. Phosphoric acid solution. Hit the underside with a pressure washer. Put it in a spray bottle and just sprayed it on the rust underneath. Let it sit a day then just mist paint with Rustoleum black. Id do this twice a year, always looked nice underneath. Remember it IS a truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They have rust paint just for suspensions, the reason it is for suspensions is because they don't do great in the sun shine, nothing better then suspension rust paints, you just paint over the rust. You may want to wash the salt off with some ramps, then use por 15 or chassis saver. POR15 a little easier to worth with, goes on like cream cheese a little thinner then that but similar, chassis saver more like water, pretty thin. But both work perfect. Both make your old rust part of the coating, no lie. Great for your world, if it is on the salt belt I'd rather fluid film it, but for the sun belt por15 way to go. Maybe rustoleum type product is easier with a spray, but it wont have the same coat. I'd buy a sample size por15 they sell that and compare.

My old heap..

4567174716_387a8e7a8b_z.jpg

4567173798_1c28a7569b_z.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I now see por15 also has spray cans, this is newer, something to check out. They also have a metal conditioner for any paint you use, something else to like into with the salt factor.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a 2017 that came from NY state. Im in se GA.

I can only see rust on a few of the welds. Im actually surprised how little rust is there.

I pressure washed the under carriage and wheel wells a couple of times. Hopefully no residual salt anywhere.

When the heat finally breaks I plan to get under there and clean/paint.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Spray it down with an oil product such as Krown and let it soak in especially in all the crevasses and panels that you can't see,
up in the high points of the fenders and tail lights as any saltey road spray got every place imaginal.

OP
OP
PentastarCrew13
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
They have rust paint just for suspensions, the reason it is for suspensions is because they don't do great in the sun shine, nothing better then suspension rust paints, you just paint over the rust. You may want to wash the salt off with some ramps, then use por 15 or chassis saver. POR15 a little easier to worth with, goes on like cream cheese a little thinner then that but similar, chassis saver more like water, pretty thin. But both work perfect. Both make your old rust part of the coating, no lie. Great for your world, if it is on the salt belt I'd rather fluid film it, but for the sun belt por15 way to go. Maybe rustoleum type product is easier with a spray, but it wont have the same coat. I'd buy a sample size por15 they sell that and compare.

My old heap..

Looks Great, I used POR15 on my 64 hot rod truck project in the past, never really thought about it on a new truck!
View attachment 466330

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Thanks Guys! It was funny, I have an older jeep and always look for rust on them. I didn't run the car fax on the ram until after I got home and saw MI. lol

Dang salted highways... You'd think they could protect against all of that by now.