Bought used Rebel with manifold tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swade92805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ill try to make this quick. Just bought a used 2020 Rebel 2 weeks ago at a local Dodge dealership. The truck has 72K miles.I bought extended warranty as well. I didn’t notice anything strange with the vehicle but when a friend of mine heard a cold start he said i have broken manifold bolts and a “tick”. my hearing is not great and I just thought that’s how it was supposed to sound. After a quick google search i realized it was a common issue as you all are probably aware. im certain they sold it to me like that. When i brought it to the service dept 2 weeks after purchase I didn’t even have to finish my sentence to the service tech hen i said “ cold start ticking…” he finished my sentence with “ broken bolts”. I’m certain the salesmen and the techs that do inspections know about the “known issues” but where ok with selling the truck regardless. So now my truck is in service bay with no quote on repair cost yet, I’ve paid for extended warranty and I’m sure there will be a deductible, when we all know the dealerships has made their money on me already. And they are saying it will be almost a week before they would bee able to finish repairs and they have no loaner vehicles. anyone have some suggestions or experience with this? Ridiculous that there was no recall for this known issue. I would have bought something else if I had donee my research. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know the details if your paid extended warranty.

But, If the truck is a Cpo vehicle then it also has the Mopar power train warranty 7 years 100k miles.

That power train warranty will cover manifolds has a detuctable of $100.

Cpo Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hopefully, you have a Chrysler extended warranty and that includes either a loaner or a rental. If the dealer doesn’t have loaners, then they should arrange the rental for you. This should be covered in your contract.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I don't the the receipt inspection and level of attention is what it used to be to put a vehicle out front for sale on the lot. With the reduced inventory, parts shortages, and used car market askew since COVID started things are different now.

If you just bought it the dealership should make it right. They won't do anything about the tick until something fails. Mine is very faint but have been told "that's just the way the HEMI is" every time I've taken mine in. They should replace the exhaust manifold bolts though.

If you bought it "as-is" then it's up to the dealership to do this in good faith and want good word-of-mouth advertising.

My dealership doesn't have any more loaners due to the shortages and I don't think any others do unless they are using their own inventory. My ESP authorizes up to 5 days in a loaner/rental (after the first day) and mine told me they don't do that any more regardless of what's in print. They don't have loaners to charge corporate for, most of the rental agencies have closed their lots, and the ones that are left are still price gouging. I had to deal with my own alternate transportation and they would reimburse me for $200 (5 days at $40/day) if I brought them a rental receipt. They did offer to pay for an Uber to get home and then back when the truck was done though.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you/they sure it's the manifold bolts.....or just a startup "rattle" (hemi tick). The startup rattle lasts only a few seconds, then it's gone. When the manifold bolts break, it's a quieter tick and lasts a few minutes until the engine manifold warms up and seals. I have the "rattle" like most other owners, and had the bolts break around 50k miles. My dealer replaced the bolts at no charge (factory powertrain warranty).