Bounce issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You didn't say whether you have stock size tires or bigger size tires. I had a 2014 bighorn 4x4 and it need new front shocks at 36k since they were leaking. I towed a heavy TT and it bounced the truck around towing. I always kept a 70# sandbag over the wheel wells since it seemed to make the truck ride a little smoother.
With my 3/4 ton I've had vibration problems and discount tire (Where I purchased the tires) said it was something wore out on my truck at 17k. I brought it to the dealership and they did the alignment and found nothing wore out. I had brought it back to the tire store and they road forced the tires and it was better until they rotated my tires the following year and I noticed the wheels were decorated with wheel weights.
When I went back to the store and spoke to the manager he said I was the only truck owner complaining about vibration. I said go ahead and take it for a ride. He refused and asked me where I felt the vibration. I said it depends upon the speed, but I've got some up front on the steering wheel and mainly on the back. They road forced the rear and it was better.
I was going to get a oil change at a dealer out-of-town where I bought one of my trucks from and always had very good luck with their service. When I explained it to the service tech he said they could take a set of tires/wheels off one in the lot and test drive it to see if it was the tires.
Anyway, I asked if they had a road force machine and paid them to balance all 4. They told me the front right tire wouldn't balance out. The truck rode better but had some vibration in the front. I ordered up a slightly used rim from a salvage yard and brought the truck back to the dealership and they tried to road force the tire again with the new rim and they did get it better, but it was still out of spec and it was probably the tire.
I'll pay more for tires in the future and avoid Discount Tire. The tires were Cooper AT3 XLT 295 70 18's. I remember when they installed them the manager said he had to order 2 new ones cause they wouldn't balance out. Before that I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers and had vibration problems too! The common denominator was the tire shop.
I feel your pain. I didn't have vibration before the new tires and the place I was buying them was probably getting seconds... It seems that with the heaver tires they are harder to balance, maybe just my experience?

Jsne0244

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been having a bounce issue. I have New tires that are balanced correctly. I have a pretty nasty vibration/bounce when I get around 55mph and up but I feel it slightly around 35 as wellWhen I lane change at higher speeds I feel like it sways too much. I checked all links and ball joints. They are fine. So I am not sure what the issue is. I want to fix it before I get an alignment. I know not having and alignment is not the issue because of how slightly off it is. If you have had this problem please let me know. I have a 2013 bighorn 2wd with just shy of 72k miles.
This is very interesting. I had the exact same issue. IT IS THE TIRES. Take it back to where you got your tires. Make them ride with you. Then make them change the tires and drive it with them again. It took us 7 months to figure it out. They uncounted, remounted, rotated, aligned 5 times kept doing it. When they replaced the tires with coopers it stopped been 5 months no issues all the way to rev limiter at 105 mph.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
If problem started when you got new tires, BINGO.
May have thrown an internal belt, happed to me.
Same symptoms.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you speaking of the ass end jumping because mine will do that on interstate expansion joints but I believe from reading on here that is a rear sway bar deal.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you speaking of the ass end jumping because mine will do that on interstate expansion joints but I believe from reading on here that is a rear sway bar deal.
I also recently went superlift four inch. Dontpurself a favor snd grab some 5100s def help with Maine potholes

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Bighorn here, 4x4, stock everything. Bought it with 85K miles, now has 110K.
When purchased, it rode smooth as glass with the new Goodyear wranglers. Within 15K, it developed "the hop". Rebalancing fixed it for about 2K miles, it slowly returned. Balance, drive, rebalance drive, ect till the tires were shot. Bought stock size tires 3,500 miles ago, did an alignment at the same time. The cycle started again at about 2K on the new tires. The steering wheel is smooth, but the body shakes. No goofy wear pattern on the new tires.
Two shops could not feel the hop. Firestone referred me to the dealer.

Ideas?

1500RAIDAAHH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had the same issue @ 55/60mph went back to the tire shop had them re-balance the tires,,,,,problem solved

Sidh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 3500 SLT
Engine
5.9 L Cummins
I have a similar problem, violent rear end bounce theat happens occassionaly and usually above about 60-65 mph. OEM shocks were on there for over 100K miles and no issues, I replaced them a few years ago with Rancho 9000 XL adjustables and it drove great for about 2 years then it started doing this violent bounce on the D/S rear ...I've had several alignments, two balance and rotate and I've adjusted the shocks...still there. Doesnt matter if it's bumpy roads or smooth...and usually happens .

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My suggestion is look into your parking brake. It could be sticking.

Apparently the rear inner shoe will stick and cause vibration.

My thoughts

Sidh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 3500 SLT
Engine
5.9 L Cummins
Thanks for the input, unfortunately it's not a regular occurrence so when I take it to the tire shop they look at me like I have horns on my head!

I'd due for new tires soon so hopefully that will fix it.

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone. Old thread but I need to know if anyone here get the bounce fixed replacing the shocks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I skipped through all the posts, but bear in mind you can balance an out-of-round tire with enough weights, or if the rim is bent. Then there are tire construction characteristics/defects. Go to a shop with a Hunter Road Force balancer and it should detect aii of those. Regular spin balancers won't.

Sorry if I missed the solution...I didn't have time to read through all the posts