Brake Controller - 4 Way and OEM Controller Socket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kraizter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have an 06 1500, it has a 4 way in back and a empty mounting spot in bumper for 7 way. I have found the blue OEM brake controller socket for quick plug brake controllers. However, I am confused since there is no 7 way in back, is the trailer brake power wire already run to the back of the truck? I see an extra white wire tucked up above the existing 4 way in the back. Not sure if anyone has run into this before.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

OP
OP
kraizter

kraizter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like the quick plug's blue (electric brake power) connects to the OEM's green wire so not sure what the taped up white wire in rear does. Guessing I'll have to just start pulling off the loom in the rear to see what wires are actually back there.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
That spare wire may be for wiring up the third brake light on a camper shell, Dodge has been doing that for years, surprising how many truck shop have no idea it exists. Take a test light to it and have someone step on the brake

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If you have to blue connector for the brake controller under the dash odds are that the 7 way wiring is also installed. check for the wiring near where the 7 way plug should be installed under the truck at the rear bumper there may actually be a connector near there with all the wiring attached, all you will need to buy is the mating connector from Dodge to get the wiring finished.

Mike