Brake controller conversation and questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI VVT
My new Ram 1500 did not have the brake controller option so I'd like to add it to ensure I can use brakes on any future TT I buy. I'm lucky enough to have a locally owned truck/trailer/rv shop just a mile down the road from me so I thought it best to start there. They've quoted a mere $220 for a brake controller and having installed/wired into the current 7-way, which seems extremely reasonable to me.

However, I happened across the official Mopar part 82215278AE which is a bit more expensive, but obviously is OEM parts and integrates with the truck, so worth it to me. Plus the install instructions look completely doable. Then I started to see where this part might be cheaper and ran across a couple of ebay auctions that have what they claim is the same OEM part but for a third of the price. Here's where I was given pause...one of the auctions said that programming will be required for it to work.

So my questions are plentiful:
  1. For the ebay auction, would programming be needed by a dealer to get it work and is this just a sign that it's not an actual OEM part?
  2. If I bought the official OEM part, will programming be required? It mentions it nowhere on the store page that I've seen.
  3. If I were to go the route of a third-party brake controller, will those integrate just fine with the truck brakes or is there more to it than I'm thinking?
Ideally, I'd like to have the OEM part, install it myself, and it just work without having to spend more money. Thanks!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Gotta have the sales codes programmed in for the OEM.

Aftermarket like the tekonsha p3 will he plug and play no programming just doesnt look as clean.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the factory brake controller and I love it. It's integrated into the truck which is nice. I can save up to 4 trailers with the settings I want my brake gain to be plus even name them if I chose. I can also have my brake gain on the EVIC if I chose when I'm towing. As stated in the prior post the OEM unit needs to be programmed in order to work because it's actually integrated in your truck's BCM whereas an aftermarket unit is not. If you go the factory route you can have the dealer program it after you install it or you can use the Alfa tool and do it yourself. Many of us have the Alfa tool. If you decide to go OEM you may want to post in the Alfa thread to see if anyone near you has the tool and is willing to enable the code for you. It just takes a few minutes. I have no experience with the aftermarket units but I have seen many guys post that they also work great but have to be mounted under the dash and aren't integrated into the truck. It's just a matter of preference but I think in many cases guys install the aftermarket units not realizing how easily they can install the factory unit.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RAM432

RAM432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI VVT
Just a quick update, I ended up ordering part #82215278AE off Ebay from Steve White Motors. I don't know why he's selling a $324 part for $134 but it's the genuine parts and comes with everything needed. It was a bit nerve-wracking plying the center console off my new truck but I was ultimately able to get everything installed and everything hooked back up without damaging or scratching anything. The hardest parts of the entire install was snapping out the dummy plastic where the hand controls go, getting my large hands into the dash to un-tape the controller box wires, and getting the controller box bracket screwed in.

Of note, you will need a smaller star-shaped tool to unscrew the two screws off the back of the bottom module that holds the hand controls. The instructions show a philips screwhead but on the 2021, that wasn't correct. You'll also want one of the small stub philips screwdrivers in order to screw in the top screw of the controller box bracket. It's far up inside the dash. Either one of the short stub screwdrivers or a smaller 7mm socket, which I didn't have.

As Ricks Ram said above in his last sentence, if you're reading this and thinking about putting an aftermarket controller in, don't. This part was just as cheap when ordered on ebay and easy to install. At least in my 2021, all the wiring is already there in the dash for you, you just have to plug it in. A local truck and trailer place quoted me $220 to install a brake controller and splice into my existing 7-way, however this part was only $134 and I got quotes from two local dealers of $80 and $110 for them to program the new controller into the truck so it'll be recognized.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Just a quick update, I ended up ordering part #82215278AE off Ebay from Steve White Motors. I don't know why he's selling a $324 part for $134 but it's the genuine parts and comes with everything needed. It was a bit nerve-wracking plying the center console off my new truck but I was ultimately able to get everything installed and everything hooked back up without damaging or scratching anything. The hardest parts of the entire install was snapping out the dummy plastic where the hand controls go, getting my large hands into the dash to un-tape the controller box wires, and getting the controller box bracket screwed in.

Of note, you will need a smaller star-shaped tool to unscrew the two screws off the back of the bottom module that holds the hand controls. The instructions show a philips screwhead but on the 2021, that wasn't correct. You'll also want one of the small stub philips screwdrivers in order to screw in the top screw of the controller box bracket. It's far up inside the dash. Either one of the short stub screwdrivers or a smaller 7mm socket, which I didn't have.

As Ricks Ram said above in his last sentence, if you're reading this and thinking about putting an aftermarket controller in, don't. This part was just as cheap when ordered on ebay and easy to install. At least in my 2021, all the wiring is already there in the dash for you, you just have to plug it in. A local truck and trailer place quoted me $220 to install a brake controller and splice into my existing 7-way, however this part was only $134 and I got quotes from two local dealers of $80 and $110 for them to program the new controller into the truck so it'll be recognized.

I have purchased from Steve White motors and everything is OEM at very reasonable prices.

ToyHaulin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi® MDS VVT
Does the OEM brake controller auto detect when a trailer wiring is connected and automatically applies the toy/haul mode? I dislike having to remember to enable tow/haul mode every time I start the truck with my (undetected) trailer attached.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the OEM brake controller auto detect when a trailer wiring is connected and automatically applies the toy/haul mode? I dislike having to remember to enable tow/haul mode every time I start the truck with my (undetected) trailer attached.
It does auto detect that you connect the trailer but it doesn't automatically switch the transmission to tow/haul mode in my 1500. I need to push the button in order to activate it.

ToyHaulin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi® MDS VVT
It does auto detect that you connect the trailer but it doesn't automatically switch the transmission to tow/haul mode in my 1500.

So does that mean your dashboard accumulates the trailer miles?

I wonder if a resistor can be added to my 7-pin trailer plug that will allow the BCM to recognize when I have my trailer connected. Boat trailers with surge brakes don't use the electric brake controller.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, my truck will tell me how far I've pulled my trailer. I guess I should have mentioned that the factory system also only recognizes a trailer if it has electric brakes. It doesn't register my boat trailer with surge brakes.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So does that mean your dashboard accumulates the trailer miles?

I wonder if a resistor can be added to my 7-pin trailer plug that will allow the BCM to recognize when I have my trailer connected. Boat trailers with surge brakes don't use the electric brake controller.
You could rewire your boat trailer plug to a 7 pin then use a trailer brake magnet wired in. Mount the magnet to the side of the trailer frame/tongue, the magnets are waterproof where as resistors might not be. This way it will also alert you if the plug come out.

alexmolina93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone have pictures of the colors of wires in the 10 pin connector that goes from the module to the dashboard? Apparently, my truck (2021 1500 classic) doesn't have that connection, only the 4 pin.