Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake fluid capacity for full flush

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Kap1, Aug 1, 2020.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. Kap1

Kap1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Hi All,

I will be getting new front brakes installed on my 2013 1500, and need to buy brake fluid for the mechanic to do the change.

I heard that it's best to run brake fluid through the system until clean fluid comes out - sort of a "flush/run through".

MY QUESTION IS... how much of Redline brake fluid do i need to buy to ensure that mechanic will have enough of brake fluid to complete the flushing??

Each Redline brake fluid jar is 16oz. How many do i need to order to be 100% sure he'll have enough for the flush?

After doing a LOT of research on this forum, i think i will be using Wagner brakes - for simplicity and to make sure they last longest possible time. I was pretty happy with my OEM pads, only changed it once at 50k miles, and will be changing now at 100k.

Thank you!!!

Wild one likes this.
  2. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    4 pints

love wagner oex, no dusting great stopping.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  3. Burla

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
  4. Kap1

Kap1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thank you Burla!

I saw that post but couldn't believe that it would take 64oz to do the flush!

So I guess I have to order 4 x 16oz Redline brake fluid bottles for my mechanic?

Kind of sad that 32oz will be wasted

tidefan1967 likes this.
  5. Burla

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Tell him to only open the ones he needs, maybe he will do it in three, dunno Kap. My friends took 32 ounces, but we ended up at 64 ounces as we got air in the system so we had to redo, hopefully that doesn't happen to the mechanic. My friends brake fluid reservoir in his nissan was way smaller then our ram. shit happens, 4 is a tight bet, 5 would be better, but damn expensive.

tidefan1967 and Kap1 like this.
  6. Kap1

Kap1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Is there even any benefit for me to spend $17 on bottle of redline brake fluid?

I mean I'm just using truck for daily driving and usually easy on the brakes... Not getting any performance special rotors and pads..

7. Burla

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    As water and contamination get in there, oem brake fluid boil temp becomes way low and visc as well, reldine will stay higher longer, so a longer oci keeping better back pressure especially when towing is it. Brake fluid gets so bad so quick in the ram, if you want to go 2 year oci maybe go cheap fluid, if you will put this item off from time to time, easily worth it. If this is the first time you are doing a 2013 ram, I kinda think you should go redline.

tidefan1967 and Kap1 like this.
  8. Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter S.W.A.T. Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    HemiFever 5.7
    I just did this. step 1 suck out all the old fluid from the master cylinder. Then fill with fresh fluid starting with the passenger rear. I used just under 48oz.

If you do not remove the old fluid from the reservoir first the new fluid mixes in with the old and doesn’t flush it out

9. Quyonmob

Quyonmob Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

Exactly this. Then work longest line to shortest line.
    Never ever let that master cylinder reservoir drop below 1/3. “One more pump won’t hurt” is how you get to start over.

Burla likes this.
  10. AE5548

AE5548 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Not really. If you’re not racing or doing heavy towing and you have stock brakes it’s overkill. Just flush with regular brake fluid whenever you do front pads (typically 50k) and you will be fine. The majority of people never flush their brake fluid till they replace calipers. My buddy has a 2011 with 115k with original calipers and never flushed his brake fluid. His brakes feel just like my 18’ with 50k. Just save your $$ and use regular brake fluid for the flush. You wi be fine.