Brake Light Out Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lately, I have been getting a brake light out message at start up every morning. The message stops after one or to displays and the brake light is working properly. Could this be a loose connection at the bulb or something more sinister?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the exact same problem. It actually started for me once I got a tune...

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've checked a dozen times and no brake light is actually out

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, same here! Doesn't seem to be a problem but it is annoying! Hope someone has an idea of a fix or what to look for to fix it!

riored4v

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I received the same error but mine was the brake light above the bed. Might not be the same issue, but the error message threw me off since it made it look like it was one of the tailights.

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I received the same error but mine was the brake light above the bed. Might not be the same issue, but the error message threw me off since it made it look like it was one of the tailights.

Interesting...the message on the EVIC showed my right side brake light out on the infographic but I didn't check the third brake light! I'll look at that this evening.

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
I'm guessing your third brake light is out. If it is, I'd replace that garbage foam gasket inside the cover and replace it with a better material. I did that with my truck after I discovered about 2 inches of water in the small storage compartment after a heavy thunderstorm. I just used epdm weatherstripping from Home Depot. It hasn't leaked since.

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm guessing your third brake light is out. If it is, I'd replace that garbage foam gasket inside the cover and replace it with a better material. I did that with my truck after I discovered about 2 inches of water in the small storage compartment after a heavy thunderstorm. I just used epdm weatherstripping from Home Depot. It hasn't leaked since.

I will check it out...

921 bulb, correct?

raff18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019c
Engine
hemi 5.7
mine did this same thing
right bulb out = third break light was burnt
happens when water gets past the seal an pops the bulb
i went to the dealer and they put new foam on the light
also no more water in cab after car wash

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
mine did this same thing
right bulb out = third break light was burnt
happens when water gets past the seal an pops the bulb
i went to the dealer and they put new foam on the light
also no more water in cab after car wash

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Confirmed...my 3rd brake light bulb is out. The other 2 cargo lights are ok. I just got a couple bulbs so I will be replacing tonight. I'll see what condition the gasket is in.

OP
OP
RocketFoot

RocketFoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replaced the bulb right after a rain storm and it was bone dry inside the housing...the gasket did seem a little soggy though, I think I will pursue a warranty replacement gasket or something. More importantly, the brake light is fixed and no more message on the EVIC!

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same problem on mine and asked the dealer while getting other work done today. They said it is the safety relay that causes the 3rd taillight in the cab to blink (to alert drivers behind you). He said you have to deal with it or they can delete the relay and solder the wires back together. I had them do it and the problem is gone. The notification will now only occur when my taillight is actually out.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines been doing the same thing but the funny part is the bulb is out.... Sometimes... doesn't always do it. I have new bulbs just no time to swap them out on both sides... I have OCD when I change one side I change the other whether its out or not...

mpslaney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I've actually been getting the same message on my EVIC. I've had the 3rd brake light out for 2 days now and when I went to get a new bulb today the message went away and the light is working again. I've checked it the day it happened and the light bulb looked fine (and obviously is if it's working again now) has anyone had the issue of a bad sensor?

Land of Chicora

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
.Bump.

Had this problem on my 2016 BH. Message showed my passenger side brake light out, but it was really the third brake light.

Quick trip to O'Reilly for a 921 bulb, took less than 5 minutes to change out , and the brake light error message is gone

CrazyViking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I received the message about the rear passenger bulb. It was burned out. Replaced both rear bulbs and now I’m getting an error message that both bulbs are out. My cab light is operational.

What am I missing?

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've actually been getting the same message on my EVIC. I've had the 3rd brake light out for 2 days now and when I went to get a new bulb today the message went away and the light is working again. I've checked it the day it happened and the light bulb looked fine (and obviously is if it's working again now) has anyone had the issue of a bad sensor?

You’re probably getting water in it. I dealt with the same thing. Put some real weatherstrip in there, and might as well replace the bulb while you’re there. They’re cheap.
One thing to note… I had some led 921 replacements I tried to use, and the truck thought that bulb was out with those in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyViking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Well, found out my truck does not like LED bulbs for the tail lights or the high mount brake light. Swapped them out with standard 3157K bulbs and all alert messages are gone. The good news is that my high mount cargo lights will work with LED bulbs. The higher lumens are very nice when backing up.