Brake line from truck to axle block rear..info needed please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
Hey Gang. So I have picked up a replacement rear axle for my 98 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 gasser.
I need some insight into how I remove the brake line from the body of the turck to the old axle.
DOes the rubber hose from body of truck to the splitter block on the axle come off at the splitter block or at the truck frame where the steel lines from the front meet the rubber hose from frame to axle?
Pics attached. The pics are of the frame line from the front where it goes from steel lines from the master and turns to the rubber hose from frame to rear axle. Please help!
Much apreciated
DazSpaz
98 dodge ram 1500 body to axle brake line 2.jpg

98 dodge ram 1500 body to axle brake line.jpg

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
10mm threaded brake line on other side of that rubber line

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
youll want to soak that like crazy in pb blaster or wd40 that is extremely rust. Other option is to remove at the axle/cut, and buy a new part from store.

OP
OP
D

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
Thanks for the reply. I already discovered the wrench fitting in the back of that. I soaked the crap out of everything a few days ago with bobcat penetrating oil (my go to) and included that in the soaking just in case .it came loose but the brake line twisted with it and even though it was barely a 1/4 turn it was enough to wreck the brake line from master to rear probably due to rust. Better to have that fail now and replace the whole run from the front than while on the road.

My next challenge is this. See pic...
New steel brake line from the front so also new fitting as pictures in last post. Which also means new rubber hose from frame to axle spiltter block on the new donor axle. I don't see any where to wrench on the end of the rubber hose that goes into the splitter block on the axle. It's clearly a crimped end on the hose where it enters the block. The hose on the donor axle was cut by previous owner so I can't reuse that....
Does that splitter block come off somehow? I have the old axle to fart around with but dontnwant to wreck it as I was going to try my hand at rebuilding the diff. Everyone says setting the pinion angle Is a nightmare so it seems like something to try!

Thanks ahead for any info you guys can give me re the brake line splitter block. Off to the auto parts store for new brake lines benders and flare tools...
Cheers
Daz Spaz20180508_122658.jpg

OP
OP
D

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
Correct me if wrong guys...I think I get it. It's also the breather for the diff so safe to say it may thread into the diff somehow to allow pressure from axle out to breather hose...gonna go soak that ******* too now.
Cheers

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
remove the vertical hose just pull real hard, the piece it slides over is threaded and will come off, releasing the brake splitter from the axle.

The brake splitter is a one piece, do not attempt to remake this yourself. buy a new one from a parts store or online.

OP
OP
D

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
remove the vertical hose just pull real hard, the piece it slides over is threaded and will come off, releasing the brake splitter from the axle.

The brake splitter is a one piece, do not attempt to remake this yourself. buy a new one from a parts store or online.

Thanks man.
My parts guy is bringing in a new splitter (distribution block as they call it) that comes with the axle to frame brake hose attached, as well as new brake line for me to make a line from master to rear. Gonna be a treat tomorrow.
Thanks for the help mate.
DazSpaz

OP
OP
D

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
Didn't realize you could get pre flared line with the nuts already on them in diffo lengths. New brake like from front rear brake proportioning block to rear rubber hose union and a new distribution block (axle splitter).
This whole endeavour is all side bits of the original job which is swapping out rear axle (bad diff) for a newer year axle and upgrading rear leaf packs to a 2500 lead pack. Now that I have got to the point I can put the donor axle on I have opened it up to find the same bits floating around in the pumpkin as I did in my original.
All that being said. Does anyone know of a differential expert in this chat forum that can help me determine what pieces I'm finding?
Thank you to you guys for the brake line assistance.
Dazspaz

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well that sucks. It's too late now but you should have opened the new diff to inspect before you bought it or put any work and $$ into it.
Good luck to you.

OP
OP
D

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
No kidding. Wasn't expensive and haven't put any work into it yet. I can sell the two deads I have for scrap and get my cash back. No biggie.
Still would like to know if there's anyone on here that is a differential geek .

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
best to post pics of the cover off from many different angles. Does the pinion gear have play?

If not I'd clean it out new fluid and run it.

BUT I cant have a tow truck down for more than a day

OP
OP
D

DazSpaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360? 5.9
I'll post pics as soon as I get home today. I didn't want to post the pictures here cuz I didn't want starting a new thread off of this and are putting stuff in the wrong forum. The diff itself is a 9.25 3.55 12 bolt. The only thing I really have pictures of are the pieces that came out of the diff. Everything inside the pumpkin looks good.
As for the pinion gear having play do you mean front-to-back bumper to bumper can if be wiggled? Or do you mean up and down as in bad bearing play? Thanks again for the response man

Wtf1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any one know what this line comming off the top of that block is for? Or a part number ? I've been 2 days trying to explained what I need but talking to these parts store boxes of rocks is like talking to my dog

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221103-185400.png
    Screenshot_20221103-185400.png
    513.6 KB · Views: 3